First Post / First Mod Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

navyblew

Dec 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hey All,

Been a member for a bit, but haven't posted much, not sure why, but I have been reading a whole lot. Thanks to everyone for participating in this forum, hopefully I'll be able to give back.

I also have a pic here of my first project. I bought (2) CR123 batts, a charger and a 510 connector from madvapes.

Then I went to the local electrician's store and bought this little aluminum project box.

Today I drilled out the holes for the switch, and the 510 connector. And ground down the edges of the box so the lid has a more precise fit.

No lights here, nothing fancy, just some batteries, a switch, and an atomizer in a pretty tough case.

IMG_20101020_133624.jpg

I'll gladly take any criticism, and use it to make the next mod better.

Thanks!

navyblew

Dec 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm sure you could find them easily online. Search for "project boxes" or "electrical project boxes".

I found this online last night...

Hammond Mfg. - Small Enclosure Index

But there was a local electrician's store in my city where I found the one I bought. It's a bit big, but I didn't care, it's a first mod so I'm just playing around.

Most of these aluminum ones though, I'll warn you, are cast, not machined, so the edges fit rough. I took it down to the bench grinder and smoothed it out with the dremel tool and some sand paper. Haven't decided if I'm going to take it to my jeweler friend to have him buff this thing to a mirror shine yet...

But back to the point, you can probably find those boxes in a lot of online stores. I picked aluminum instead of plastic because I wanted something I could throw down some stairs and not worry about it breaking.

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
Haven't decided if I'm going to take it to my jeweler friend to have him buff this thing to a mirror shine yet...

Mirror shine on alum will last about 10 minutes. Have you considered taking it down with fine grit paper and the final polish with 4/0 steel wool? Steel wool puts a really nice finish on metal. Just a suggestion

navyblew

Dec 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
im gunna make a line of steam punk inspired mods :) or "rat rod mods" it should be fun, but i like how simple and useable yours is. great job

I always thought that would be a cool way to go about designing one too... I was thinking brass, with a bit of braided tubing for the exposed electrical wires (if there was an electrical switch), and maybe a custom glass chamber just for kicks.

navyblew

Dec 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Mirror shine on alum will last about 10 minutes. Have you considered taking it down with fine grit paper and the final polish with 4/0 steel wool? Steel wool puts a really nice finish on metal. Just a suggestion

Really good point. It'll probably match the titanium finish atomizer better that way anyway.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2010
Grand Rapids, Michigan
You can also get some 1200 grit wet sand paper at any auto parts store and do most of the finish work on it. Then use your dremmel with a polishing attachment and some good old Mothers carnuba wax to get the mirror finish. Add a thin coat of clear and the finish will stand up to a lot of punishment.

RedDeath5

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2010
St Joe, MI
i've been thinking of designing a waterproof, shock-resistant mod for people like me. basically, a steel box with rubber gaskets, a retractable fitting for the atty, and everything inside surrounded by a nice foam padding with built in storage for a cart/carto and a 3ml bottle of juice. it might be a little big, but good for soldiers/outdoorsmen/clumsy, forgetful folks. the box itself seems easy, but the problem i'm coming across is the atty fitting...not sure how i'm gonna work that.

navyblew

Dec 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
i've been thinking of designing a waterproof, shock-resistant mod for people like me. basically, a steel box with rubber gaskets, a retractable fitting for the atty, and everything inside surrounded by a nice foam padding with built in storage for a cart/carto and a 3ml bottle of juice. it might be a little big, but good for soldiers/outdoorsmen/clumsy, forgetful folks. the box itself seems easy, but the problem i'm coming across is the atty fitting...not sure how i'm gonna work that.

Just make an all (or mostly) metal e-cig, and coat it with this...

http://golden-shellback.com/

-Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread