Status
Not open for further replies.

J_B_86

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2013
QLD, Australia
207svlu.jpg

Got my first RBA today, Hcigar Kayfun 3.1 clone. Only had 30 and 26 gauge A1 to work with, ended up going with the 26 as the 30 kept breaking when I tried to screw it down. Can't remember exactly but it was around 8-10 wraps and is reading 1.2 ohms. Wicked with some hospital grade sterile cotton balls, used just enough that it gave a little resistance when pulling through the coil.

Firstly is there anything wrong with this or is there anything I should do different?

It seems to be working OK. No dry hits yet. Using some 50/50 Strawberry Kiwi from MBV as I am low on juice. Taste is different but I don't know if its great yet. Do I maybe just need to try a better liquid once I get some more or do I maybe just have to get used to using cotton.

As far as vapor production goes it is reasonable but at the same wattage my new nautilus Mini with its BVC coils seems to outperform it. I have played around with the airflow and got it nice and loose. I have been playing around with the wattage from 10-20 watts.

Just not as impressed as I thought I would be, should I warm to it over time when I play around more? Any tips to improve my next build?

Clark F

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2014
Tempe, AZ
I am far from an expert as only started building a couple of months ago but as already stated the coil looks to high and 26g takes longer to heat up. I tried 26 and 27g but was never quite happy, it probably works better on lower ohm coils.

After trying everything from 1/16 - 5/64 and wire from 26g - 32g, the best for me is a 1/8 drill bit with 28g around 1.2 - 1.5 ohm works for all of my attys.

The main problem I had was the cotton wicking, it took me several weeks to get a feel for how much to use. I was always using to little and the cotton would burn up. Most of the videos I watched showed very little cotton, well they were subohm coils and mine are much higher.

Anyway, I sorta rambled on but the more you build the easiler in will become to do. Trust me, I was about to lose my mind for a couple of weeks and now I can rebuild and wick in less than 15 minutes.

J_B_86

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2013
QLD, Australia
Thanks for all the tips, I will definitely have to get hold of some 28. The place I ordered the KF from only had 24,26,30 and 32 in stock, guess I see why the 28 was out of stock now. I will definitely drop the coil down closer too. I actually used a 2mm drill bit but 1/8 is 3.175mm I believe so I might try a thicker drill bit for the next coil too.

I also got a UD AGA-T7 because it looked good and sounded great from the reviews but after checking it out close up I think I'll wait till I get the KF under control before even touching that thing.

Rodeorat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2013
Guthrie, OK
Agree with the other posters as far as gauge and height of the coil. However, in the absence of 28ga, I'm confused on the 30ga you have.
How are they breaking off? Are the screw heads severing the leads? 30ga should give you a darn fine vape and its not so thin you would be snapping them off.

Since you already have 30ga, do an 8-wrap micro, between 1.5 and 1.7mm around a drill bit or jewelers screwdriver. Hold the coil flat on the deck, over the air hole while you wrap the leads around the screws once, then tighten them down, clockwise. Using the drill bit/screwdriver, gently pull the coil up off the deck, which should leave you 2-3mm off the deck. Assemble the rest of the way.
28ga at 2mm will get you closer to the resistance sweet spot, but you can get there with 30ga too, just make a smaller diameter coil, like around 1.5 to 1.7mm. Still will work great.

Last edited:

J_B_86

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2013
QLD, Australia
I originally tried screwing the 30 down under the screw heads but had some trouble with that so I put it through the holes in the terminals and thats where it was breaking. I'll try another build tomorrow with the 30 gauge under the screw heads, holding the coil flat on the deck like you said sounds like it will make it a lot easier.

heateris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2012
SEPA
Your have a easier time mounting the coil if you flip it over. Keep the drill bit in the coil and lay it right on the air hole. Use pliers and wrap the legs 360 degrees around the screws and tighten down. Once the screws are tight, you can use the drill bit to lift the coil up off the deck a few mm.

http://forum.svoemesto.ru/showthread.php?t=479

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread