First Vaporite, now Mount Baker, bad batch of e-juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeCape

Apr 5, 2012
Colorado
This might be a little long so bear with me.

I used to order from Vaporite for the longest time. The last time I ordered from them, it was a large bottle of my favorite juice I had been getting regularly for 8+ months. It had an awful taste and smell to it. None of the bottles I had previously ordered smelled or tasted like this. I let it steepe for a week and then contacted the company. They suggested letting it steepe for longer. After a month it still tasted and smelled terrible. I could taste the flavor I ordered but it was being overpowered by something else that was disgusting. Their response? I was using my vape pen wrong (not cleaning it correctly or something) or I needed to let it steepe longer.

So I switched to Mt Baker since everyone on here was raving about it. I've been ordering from them for at least 6+ months and have been loving their juices, prices, and fast shipping. However last week I got an order from them that had the same overpowering taste and smell that was in the last bottle of juice that I got from Vaporite. I even pulled out my old Vaporite bottle and did a side by side smell test. Not identical but they were similar. Again I could still taste the flavors I ordered but were being completely overpowered.

Now Mt Baker is telling me to Steepe it for longer. I can tell already that this isn't going to work. I have been ordering the same exact juices for this whole time and they never needed to steepe to start smelling or tasting good. Don't get me wrong a few weeks steepe makes them taste better, but they are always usable right out of the box and never have a bad smell to them. Besides it's been over a week since they were mixed, they shouldn't still smell/taste this bad.

My guess is they either got a bad batch of VG, PG, or the mixing container wasn't washed out before mixing my juices. The three bottles of different flavors I ordered all had this terrible taste/smell. However the complimentary bottle they always ship with your order smelled and tasted fine, most likely because it was mixed separately at a different time.

So my questions to you guys is:

Has this ever happened to anyone else?
Any clue what causes it?
Is there a company that doesn't allow this to happen or has some sort of quality assurance check?
Does this just happen to every company at some point and I should just shrug it off?

Thanks for your time!

P.S. I just ordered a couple more bottles of the same stuff and will keep you guys updated to see if the new bottles have this bad taste.

GPC2012

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Reedley Ca
It doesn't matter what you are doing if you produce a product sooner or later you are going to have a problem call it a mistake, error, goof up or defective ingredient. It is going to happen. I have not had any problems with lucky 7, I know he had some bad extract at one point and he replaced the product for his customers. Chris is a very hands on owner. He takes pride in his products and stands behind them. The prices are beyond fantastic. He is however a very busy business, it takes about 7 business days (mon - fri)closed weekend from date of order till the product ships. All of his return customers just plan for this. I think some people are far to insistent on immediate gratification and just don't want to wait for anything. Take a look at the web site, (link below) and the threads one in the suppliers forum and the other here in the e-liquid-discussion.
Lucky 7 Vapes

OrangeCape

Apr 5, 2012
Colorado
It doesn't matter what you are doing if you produce a product sooner or later you are going to have a problem call it a mistake, error, goof up or defective ingredient. It is going to happen. I have not had any problems with lucky 7, I know he had some bad extract at one point and he replaced the product for his customers. Chris is a very hands on owner. He takes pride in his products and stands behind them. The prices are beyond fantastic. He is however a very busy business, it takes about 7 business days (mon - fri)closed weekend from date of order till the product ships. All of his return customers just plan for this. I think some people are far to insistent on immediate gratification and just don't want to wait for anything. Take a look at the web site, (link below) and the threads one in the suppliers forum and the other here in the e-liquid-discussion.
Lucky 7 Vapes

Thanks for the reply. I am just confused because in each instance both companies acted like "this could never happen, your doing it wrong". I'm not a noob to this habit and have ordered lots of the same stuff with no problems. I'm also worried that no one else has replied of having similar problems. I just smelled it again after another day of steepe and I can't even smell the grape anymore, just the bad smell.

Like you said though, I just figured it was once in awhile thing, but then why are both companies acting like I don't understand the product? Surely if it has happened to me twice now, with two different companies, it must have happened to others.

I've even had my GF who has never used the stuff smell some old stuff vs the new and even she thinks it smells terrible.

Hopefully I don't come across as being ...... or angry, I'm just curious if others have experienced the same. I will definitely check out the lucky 7 link. Thanks!

OrangeCape

Apr 5, 2012
Colorado
I think we're are lucky that this profession of selling e juice has some of the best customer service that I've come across. I haven't dealt with a company yet that didn't seem to value their customer or want to make it right for them on every level...

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately with Vaporite they had terrible customer service. They basically told me I didn't know what I was doing and that I was wrong. Unwilling to work whatsoever with me. I even offered to ship the product back to them on my dime, with no refund expected, so they could evaluate and troubleshoot the problem. They basically told me to go "f" myself.

I can't completely comment on Mount Baker at this point because it's just in the initial stages, but the emails are starting out the same way so I'm a little nervous. However I have confidence that it won't turn out the way Vaporite did.

vjc0628

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Maryville TN
I've heard a lot about the inconsistency and bad cust service with vaperite
that's why I didn't keep ordering from them
but the juice is decent when right

mt baker on the other hand is a downgrade not up
they are cheep fast shipping that is the thing with mtbaker
not the quality of flavor

what kind of flavors do you like

OrangeCape

Apr 5, 2012
Colorado
I've heard a lot about the inconsistency and bad cust service with vaperite
that's why I didn't keep ordering from them
but the juice is decent when right

mt baker on the other hand is a downgrade not up
they are cheep fast shipping that is the thing with mtbaker
not the quality of flavor

what kind of flavors do you like

Thanks for the reply!

A downgrade?, have you had some bad juices from them? I have had nothing but absolute delicious flavors from them. Although I can only comment on fruit flavors, they are the only flavors I really like from any company. My favorite was some of their strawberry blends, I can't remember if I ordered thm or it was a free sample. Either way I found myself just vaping it constantly because it was so delicious, so I had to put a stop to that. Now I get grape, green apple, pear and grapple (a mix between grape and apple). Any companies you'd recommend that have a good version of these flavors?

An update on the juices, they still smell bad and I figured out what they smell like. I got home from work today and when I walked in the front door I could smell the bad smell, I thought to myself "O crap did the juices spill!?!?" After a little panic i realized that nope, turns out my fiance was using nail polish remover, so that what these smell like, nail polish remover.

On a good note though, Mt. Baker did refund the entire order without me having to send them back. I'm thinking of sending them back anyways so they can try to figure out what happened. So A+ with their customer service.

glointhedark

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Antelope, CA, USA
Glad that Mt. Baker is taking care of you.

Dumb question - the bottles that you are having problems with - are they the same size bottles that you had previously ordered from each vendor, or were they larger bottles than you usually use? Same nicotine, pg/vg? Mistakes do happen - we are all only human. However, if you had been previously ordering 15 ml bottles and then went up several sizes, that could be part of the problem. It will take longer for flavors to develop in a larger container.

OrangeCape

Apr 5, 2012
Colorado
Glad that Mt. Baker is taking care of you.

Dumb question - the bottles that you are having problems with - are they the same size bottles that you had previously ordered from each vendor, or were they larger bottles than you usually use? Same nicotine, pg/vg? Mistakes do happen - we are all only human. However, if you had been previously ordering 15 ml bottles and then went up several sizes, that could be part of the problem. It will take longer for flavors to develop in a larger container.

Not a dumb question at all! The new bottles I got taste great. Yeah they were all 80/20 PG/VG, 18 strength nicotine. The old ones still smell like nail polish remover, but the new ones smell just like they should! Just like the flavors I ordered! I am really happy with how MT. Baker handled the situation. I realize that mistakes happen and they fixed it no questions asked.

EDIT: They were the same size bottles I got before.

OrangeCape

Apr 5, 2012
Colorado
I'm glad Mt. Baker made things right with you, and that you are happy with the replacements. Good customer service is something I value, and we have really been enjoying the eliquids we have gotten from them.

Yeah their customer service is top notch as far as this whole ordeal went. Got a new batch from them and it tasted amazing as usual. An update on the bad batch, still smells horrible even after steeping this long.

OrangeCape

Apr 5, 2012
Colorado
Glad everything worked out for you. I think sending them back is a good idea, even if just for verification that something was wrong and maybe to pinpoint what the issue was to prevent future occurrences.

Yeah, something was definitely wrong with that batch, and I imagine it happens with every company from time to time. The difference being Mt. Baker made it right. That's why Vaporite can now suck it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread