Five Pawns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macnasty

Jun 23, 2014
San Diego CA
OK guys and girls, so I am sure that this has been covered in threads before but I wanted to hear your thoughts on this company and if you have tried these juices what you guys thought. I have to say, I am extremely impressed with the companies presentation. What a beautiful setup they have over there, and the flavor descriptions make me want to immediately throw my credit card at them! I guess the question is does the vaping experience live up to the presentation?

Reactions: AlohaJay

Caffeine7

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2013
Riverside, ca
They are an expensive but enjoyable habit. Their juices are among the best I've tried. I have Gambit, Grandmaster, Bowden's Mate and Castle long in regular rotation. It's pricey for an all day vape but nice in the evenings when it's relax and vape time. They have sample packs available to try each of the flavor lines

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Instead of such a fancy presentation, I'd just prefer a less expensive juice of the same quality. I get that presentation has its merits, but I don't really care what the bottle or package looks like when the juice is in my tank or dripper.

The only flavor that I like from Five Pawns is the Castle Long. Actually, I love this flavor. Kentucky Bourbon, with notes of roasted coconut, almond, vanilla bean, & brown sugar. It reminds me of my limited pipe smoking days when I smoked Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey pipe tobacco. This is my current evening vape.

Reactions: Jman8

mistike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Taste being what it is, I second what Elvis said. No amount of reviews and opinions will tell you whether you like their juices or not.

I've tried a few, and my take is : their flavors are very original, which explains why people either love them or hate them. They're also very complex, which is a good thing IMO, and very strong (it's one of the very few brands that I can actually taste). For me, however, they are a thousand times too sweet.

Gambit literally made me gag, like I was inhaling a spoonful of sugar. I didn't dare trying Grandmaster.

Castle Long is strong. I would like it if the coconut was a bit more subtle. As it is, I mostly taste roasted and coconut and the coconut is very "in your face". Since I have a full bottle, I will let it steep for a few weeks before I decide whether to trade it or keep it. Even if it gets better, it would still be too sweet for an ADV - for which my wallet is thankful.

Queenside... it took me a long time, and a Kayfun, before I could taste anything. Before that, it was just sugar. Now I can taste the orange, and it tastes just like orange ice cream. It's not the tart orange type. I wish this one was less sweet too, but I will keep it for these rare occasions when I want something sweet.

Lucena is the one juice I like in their whole line. It could just use a tad more peach, but it's really good.

64 is a joke. The description is so totally awesome that I felt let down. It tastes like dill, and nothing else.

I liked 5th rank when I tried it, and will try it again, can't decide on this one. However, it's not sweet, and that's a nice departure.

Overall I found the Mixology line very interesting, but they all have ... something... off, that I dislike. It's like they all have that underlying grassy taste.

The signature line is nothing but sugar for me. I won't even try the other juices in that line.

I will keep vaping Lucena, but I probably won't shell out $27 for them again. Don't get me wrong, they ARE quality juices, and they DO separate themselves from the crowd. But they just don't work for me. Some of them I hate, some I don't like, some I do like but don't love, and the others I want to like but I can't.

And filling a KF with the glass thingy is a big moment of solitude.

RobM59

May 20, 2014
Florida
Like others have said (and you'll learn this down the road) fancy labels and presentations are just a marketing technique to catch your eye and get you to buy. What's important is the actual liquid, and I'd rather not pay extra cash just to pay for those fancy aesthetics which do not influence the vape at all.

I, however, do like Five Pawn's Grandmaster. It was a very true creamy peanut butter taste and aftertaste, along with hints of bananas. Castle Long was a tad too strong for my tastes, and most of the mixologist line was a miss for me. Queenside is another one that I enjoyed, but I only semi-ADV Grandmaster given the price tag. You won't know until you give them a go as taste is very subjective.

There's equally high quality (or close) vendors out there for a much cheaper price. Nicoticket and Bionic Vapor are first ones that come to mind, but there's a lot more.

Caffeine7

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2013
Riverside, ca
Another alternative is The Steam Co in Connecticut. They have some outstanding juices in their premium line. I was working in their area so I stopped in and sampled some. The English orchard reserve is close to Gambit but not as sweet. They have one that is almost exactly like Grandmaster, one called Beaumont Reserve that is also a bourbon based flavor that I will be ordering more of and an almost exact Castle long for around $20 before coupons. I left with a few bottles. I don't know if they will replace my 5 pawns indulgence but they are really nice vapes on their own

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
California
It really depends on your tastes. Most of the juices I've tried from them really are exceptionally sweet. And they're ridiculously expensive. That said....Queenside is my favorite thing ever and it would be my all day vape if I could afford it. Their juice has a certain something that I've never found anywhere else. It's a very true to description taste.

w0nt0ns00p

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2013
Boston, MA
Alright, I've got to be honest about my experience with Five Pawns. Basically since it came out, I was trying to find the best apple pie vape possible (a la mode was a plus if I could find it). Saw Gambit all over the internet, rave reviews, thought about getting a bottle everytime I needed new coils or other juice but couldn't justify the 28$ price tag for 30ml.

Fast Forward - I work at a vape shop who sells Five Pawns. Tried all 5 original and all 5 mixology flavors plenty of times with customers. I've got to say that underwhelming would be an incredible understatement with these juices. They kind of taste like what they're describing, but imo, a lot of it is the look and advertising of the bottles. Honestly, the customers said the same thing, "What's the difference with these ones and those other ones? Why so much pricier?" With no 15ml and those extravagant descriptions, it seems like TOP quality eliquid. Not some cheap junk by any means, but the flavor and quality of this stuff is not nearly as good as it looks. The only one I could stand to take more than 2 toots off of was Queenside (think it tickled my citrus and vanilla fancy). But even this I would never, ever, pay even 20$ for 30ml.

It's just not that good. I can recommend alternatives that are better (rude to do that here I guess) since I don't HATE Five Pawns, it just isn't something I would ever consider buying. Even if they came out with my dream flavor I think it would taste a little wonky. Again, just my 2 cents!

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Here's what I do....I DIY a very good vanilla custard. Then I put it in an oak barrel for a month. Then I put it in a nice :glass bottle with a pretty label . Then I put that bottle in foam. Then I put the foam in a cardboard tube. Then I charge the crap out of myself every time I want to vape it. Then I tell myself the barrel made it nasty. Just like being there, only with a flavor I like! Hats off to those guys, though. They are a pretty classy bunch. I think they proved the theory that if you charge enough, people will think its that much better. I've had much better juice for far less money.

I've been having some issues with my tastebuds (possibly my equipment) and can't taste anything so decided to give a sample pack from Five Pawns a whirl .. I thought they were great, especially Gambit and Bowden's Mate, because I could finally taste something! They took some getting used to though, they all tasted like strong alcoholic beverages to me initially. Although, I think to this date I probably wasn't experiencing their true flavours because there's something NQR with my tastebuds. And I personally loved their packaging - gorgeous.

plant

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2014
socal
I've tried gambit, in fact it was the first juice I bought when I first got into vaping. It is extremely good, you can taste every flavor in the description if you look for them, however it is very rich (I wouldn't say spoon full of sugar like another poster, but it is quite rich). For an all day vape I prefer something light and crisp, like afternoon delight from MBV. I can't vape on gambit for more than an hour or so before getting overwhelmed by it.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
I love a good apple pie, and of all the ones I've tried, I like Gambit the most so Five Pawns is worth it to me. The only other one out of their juices that I like enough to regularly buy is Lucena from the Mixology line. Overall, I think the Mixology line is better then the Signature line, but the price tags just aren't worth it to me save for Lucena and Gambit.

Marble

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2014
London, UK, England
I'm a massive five pawns fan... I love the juices they create... They are more expensive then other juices but I feel I can justify spending that because it still costs me less then analogues did....

I have a Nautilus constantly filled with Queenside and another Nautilus constantly filled with Castle Long...

My two favourite out the whole line up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread