Fix sour taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoke-fee

Oct 3, 2019
Hi every one. Need help getting the best out of a vape juice i just bought. The juice in question is Apple Doughnut by Beautiful Vapours, unfortunately its just too sour for my liking (like i ate too many pickled onions) . Even if i mix it half and half with a vanilla custard its still to sour.

I don't want to waist this juice because the apple taste is fantastic, is there a way to fix it?

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi every one. Need help getting the best out of a vape juice i just bought. The juice in question is Apple Doughnut by Beautiful Vapours, unfortunately its just too sour for my liking (like i ate too many pickled onions) . Even if i mix it half and half with a vanilla custard its still to sour.

I don't want to waist this juice because the apple taste is fantastic, is there a way to fix it?
Hi mate,
You bought a tart apple flavour and you don't like it.
Now you know.
Put it away and move on.
Perhaps the sour notes will diminish with age.
If may come in useful if ever the vaper's tongue hits.

IMO, leave feedback on the site emphasizing the sourness of the apple. It may prevent others from making the same mistake.

Cheers
I

Smoke-fee

Oct 3, 2019
Hi mate,
You bought a tart apple flavour and you don't like it.
Now you know.
Put it away and move on.
Perhaps the sour notes will diminish with age.
If may come in useful if ever the vaper's tongue hits.

IMO, leave feedback on the site emphasizing the sourness of the apple. It may prevent others from making the same mistake.

Cheers
I
Thanks Izan for the advice. Before i take that rout could i just check something. The nic salt i used is a year old and has changed to a brown colour, would this give the juice sour taste?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thanks Izan for the advice. Before i take that rout could i just check something. The nic salt i used is a year old and has changed to a brown colour, would this give the juice sour taste?
That’s interesting. It sounds like a juice with broken down nic. Protonated nic is supposed to resist breakdown and this seems not to have happened.
What actually did happen chemically I have no idea whatsoever. I have no idea what’s in a broken down protonated nic juice.
There’s no telling what the original “salt” actually was chemically to begin with so that makes it even harder. Protonated nics are unprotonated nic reacted with any of a number of mild acids so there should be a good deal of acid in the brown juice which implies it would make it worse not better. Again though, no idea.
I personally find the concept of using it at all a bit scary. I’m not a fan of “salts” at all though however.

Smoke-fee

Oct 3, 2019
That’s interesting. It sounds like a juice with broken down nic. Protonated nic is supposed to resist breakdown and this seems not to have happened.
What actually did happen chemically I have no idea whatsoever. I have no idea what’s in a broken down protonated nic juice.
There’s no telling what the original “salt” actually was chemically to begin with so that makes it even harder. Protonated nics are unprotonated nic reacted with any of a number of mild acids so there should be a good deal of acid in the brown juice which implies it would make it worse not better. Again though, no idea.
I personally find the concept of using it at all a bit scary. I’m not a fan of “salts” at all though however.

Thanks bombastinator this is the nic salt i used dose that help?
Nicotine Salts 72MG 100ml
EU Nicotine Salts COA
EU NIC Salts MSDS

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thanks bombastinator this is the nic salt i used dose that help?
EU Nicotine Salts COA
EU NIC Salts MSDS
It might if I was a chemist. They all are n-benzoate which nails down the acid in question. The problem is when JUUL developed nic “salt” they did basically no research, and afaik no research has been released by anyone else either. We know there was and still to an unknown degree is some n-benzoate still in there. The problem is n-benzoate is still a bit of a black box. Because there is no research on what n-benzoate does over time, To find out what is in the brown juice the only thing I can think of to do would be to test it. Very very expensive, very very slow, and would likely use up what you have anyway. It’s not impossible the stuff is safe. I merely have no idea how safe or unsafe. It’s even not impossible the brown color is coming from other materials in the juice and the n-benzoate is still together in there. My comment about brownness is solely from my experience with unprotonated nic.
There IS a different but somewhat similar chemical on which testing HAS been done: n-tartrate.
N-tartrate is what is used in nicotine gum and has had extensive testing going back to at least the 70’s. There are indications that it’s pretty stable stuff. To my knowledge it was never tested as an aerosol though.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain

You could try the nic salt standalone to confirm your presumptions, however the flavor is described as "doughnut filled with a tart apple sauce".
Not sweet apple sauce, TART/SOUR apple sauce.
The green color of the label, imo, implies a sour apple experience.
Oddly, reviews seem harder to find than hen's teeth.

HTH
I
ETA:
... this is the nic salt i used...
From the link: "Due to the contstant variation and discolouration of this product, we have decided to offer a NEWER Salicylic Salt product from a UK manufacture which is much more stable and clearer in complextion.
Once this product is OUT OF STOCK.. It wont be returning.
Colour - Yellow - Orange

Last edited:

Smoke-fee

Oct 3, 2019
You could try the nic salt standalone to confirm your presumptions, however the flavor is described as "doughnut filled with a tart apple sauce".
Not sweet apple sauce, TART/SOUR apple sauce.
The green color of the label, imo, implies a sour apple experience.
Oddly, reviews seem harder to find than hen's teeth.

HTH
I
ETA:

From the link: "Due to the contstant variation and discolouration of this product, we have decided to offer a NEWER Salicylic Salt product from a UK manufacture which is much more stable and clearer in complextion.
Once this product is OUT OF STOCK.. It wont be returning.
Colour - Yellow - Orange
Thanks again Izan
I had a bottle of IVG Butterscotch Custard which has about as much flavor as a gulp of fresh air.
I made that up to 6mg nicotine using the Nic Salt and i can confirm there is nothing wrong with the Nic Salt.

So i guess the Apple Doughnut by Beautiful Vapours is some serious SOUR sauce, which brings me back to the original question. What could i add to it to dumb down the sour taste?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thanks again Izan
I had a bottle of IVG Butterscotch Custard which has about as much flavor as a gulp of fresh air.
I made that up to 6mg nicotine using the Nic Salt and i can confirm there is nothing wrong with the Nic Salt.

So i guess the Apple Doughnut by Beautiful Vapours is some serious SOUR sauce, which brings me back to the original question. What could i add to it to dumb down the sour taste?
By tested I meant in a lab, not pouring it in and vaping it. That’s not a test. That’s use. “It didn’t immediately kill me” is one definition of “ok” I guess. Not one I would personally try myself. Water under the bridge now though.

Reactions: greek mule

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Thanks again Izan

Imho, not much. There are muting agents you could try, but they will take out that Apple flavor first and most. Fruits are delicate and very easy to mute. Then, they would do weird things to the other flavors. The tart would almost certainly be the last flavor standing.

If you must try though, maybe one of these... EM, Magic Mask, or Vape Wizard. The first would be my choice, because the other two taste like dirty .... water to me.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Dilute with unflavored. Many or most juices are overflavored unless your taste is dulled by smoking. Flavor production and preference varies with device and power level. You might be surprised how much you can dilute e.g. 1/4; if you were mixing them yourself you could reduce one flavor.

I don't know about darkened nic but dark old ejuice often tastes fine at first but rapidly takes on a dirty character.

Reactions: greek mule
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread