Status
Not open for further replies.

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
I think it's easier to wrap but it may be a bit harder to secure to the contacts depending on the atty. You also don't want to twist it. It's not any harder to manage or more dangerous. You just have to be aware of what the resistance of the wire is...same as normal kanthal. This page at temco has charts with ohms per foot. It's also the cheapest place to buy quality (or know it is) kanthal of any type.

Flat Ribbon Kanthal

Cr0tchF4i

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
San Diego, CA
I would personally suggest round, seems to be easier to work with and more consistent. I typically use 24/26g round kanthal since I like a warm vape and it's basically fool proof- (yes i'm safe with it). Try some 28g round and see if you like it- or order both and go from there.

Most B&M's have small sample bags (3ft) that you can pick up- unfortunately they are nearly the same price as a 25ft roll from temco.

Chris850

Verified Member
Oct 20, 2013
Panama City Florida
I like Ribbon wire on genesis style addys, get more surface area for such a small peice of wick to use. I dont like it in drippers or bottom coil systems (fogger, aqua, kayfun). Its a pain to keep it straight and using it with cotton sucks!! It does deliver a hell of a vape though when done right, I like .8x.1 for size

Bosco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
San Antonio
I've had really good luck using ribbon wire to rebuild my protank heads. For some reason I don't seem to get hot spots and burnt rubber like I do when I use round wire. I've used it also on a pheonix type rba - can't remember the model but it had holes in the post to trap the wires and the ribbon wire worked well in it, too.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
i agree with several of the other posts, the stuff gets hot fast and will pound out the vapor but it can be a pain trying to screw it down.

I liove it in my drippers though, dry burns nice and clean and works great. if your just starting out though save yourself some frustration and just get round.

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
What about for a kayfun lite clone from fast tech and rebuilding manager coils for evods and mini pro tanks 2?

if you can get the ribbon to fit in a pro head it should look like the rooms on fire lol.

I tried it in the kayfun it works but the screws are small and getting the screw to grip the wire correctly was a pain and i didnt try a second time once i had to recoil.

I know you can fit about 5 wraps @ 2mm of .5 x .1 ribbon in a PT head for a coil around 1.7ohms, i didn't like running ribbon much lower as it seemed like it had a tendency to scorch the grommet.

Dusif

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Denmark
Its harder to work with on attys that doesnt have posts with holes in them... BUT it does vape better than the round kanthal imo, but its a female dog to work with if you want to build complicated coils like the diamond coil, its actually a female dog to work with in general...

But the coils you make that works, works great and last pretty good aswell, but be sure your wick can handle the coil, the ribbon kanthal burns liquid alot faster than round kanthal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

floridaBMW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2012
S. Florida
I run exclusively .5 flat wire in my Kayfuns. I believe it's equivalent resistance is similar to 30 gauge round wire..I think. I fold over 3 mil silica twice with 4 loops to get 1-1.2 ohms. I subscribe to more surface area cooking the juice produces a bit better flavor. It's not night and day but I taste the difference.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread