Flavoring Ingredients

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenCloud79

Feb 12, 2018
I just looked at several safety data sheets, the first being for Apple Candy flavor from TPA and there are some very confusing things listed here that makes this sound very inappropriate for vaping. Some things listed are:
Flammable liquid and vapour.
Keep away from heat, sparks, open flames and hot surfaces. - No smoking
Use explosion-proof electrical equipment
Use only non-sparking tools.
Avoid breathing fume and vapour
Precautions for safe handling keep away from hot surfaces
Conditions to avoid: Avoid extreme heat.

Little confused how this becomes safe to vape even at low percentages

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
Does anyone have a list of alcohol free flavorings? Mainly asking because im a recovering alcoholic, and dont really want to have to deal with it
Trust me I know exactly what your saying. I dont know of a list but I will say that I cant tell its there. Its such a tiny amount its not detectable. Your mouthwash has more in it. A decent rule of thumb, if it says can not ship air then it has alcohol.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Does anyone have a list of alcohol free flavorings? Mainly asking because im a recovering alcoholic, and dont really want to have to deal with it

There isn't enough in these after mixing to bother you.
Also, both VG and PG are alcohols. None of this will trigger you.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Is there a special technique to get any alcohol out of ejuice
ELR recipes has a list containing which flavors has alcohol content. Simply leaving the cap off your juice for couple hours after mixing will allow the alcohol to breathe off. Don't breathe the flavorings, you will evaporate the flavor with the alcohol, wait until you mix the recipe to breathe.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
@ZenCloud79 if you are concerned, the alcohol content should evaporate if you steep with the top off. I don't believe you'd be "triggered" by the amount of alcohol in your vape even without evaporation. It really is in tiny amounts and unless you are super sensitive, you won't taste it, I wouldn't think.

I sympathize, but I've even used alcohol (flavored) flavorings and some are quite good (for me). But then again, everyone's different and I also use alcohol with cooking, and to clean some stuff (everclear) so we are indeed all different.

But I don't think the amount of alcohol you'd inhale per puff (even without steeping it off) should cause cravings it is indeed going to wind up being truly minute amounts even after you mix a batch, so just steep with the cap off a day or so and you should be fine. Alcohol evaporates off more quickly than other ingredients too, so you want to just evaporate it and do the rest of your steeping with the cap on, so your flavors don't mute and etc.

Anna

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.

As others have stated, the amount of alcohol in the flavoring and then the tiny percentage of the flavor that we use drops it down to such a small percentage it is really insignificant. A ripe banana probably has a higher alcohol content then your finished juice. Also, you steep alcohol flavors with the cap off for a day or two and all of the alcohol evaporates. You will not perceive the alcohol in your finished juice. (I'm also a friend of Bills)

All that being said, I don't use alcohol based flavors because I don't like most of them! I've never found a "got to have" flavoring that is only available in an alcohol solution.

ZenCloud79

Feb 12, 2018
Appreciate the responses. I guess im just super sensitive to the ethyl alcohol. Over the last week I stopped vaping due to this. Started doing research, and turns out 90% of my favorite mixes contained a high amount of ethyl alcohol in each of the flavors. These were mixed with mag stirrer, which had no lid for about 30 min also slightly heated. Maybe I didn't let it breathe long enough. Regardless it effected me. I almost want to say I felt a slight withdrawal during the following days not vaping. I was hospitalized for severe alcohol withdrawal when I got sober. So even the slightest head change is very noticeable for me. If using techniques to rid the juice of alcohol works for others then thats awesome. Im just not comfortable on a psychological level knowing im playing with my arch nemesis. I guess the only comparison to the ethanol content of a banana is one wouldn't eat 12 bananas a day hence vaping all day. When I vape , I vape all through the day. I was a chain smoker. Each to their own. I just wanted to look into this, and maybe help others who are sensitive like me to certain ingredients.

I got this response from a flavor manufacturer when asking if I could remove the alcohol from flavors.
“Evaporating it would theoretically remove some of the alcohol, but I don’t think this would remove all of the alcohol from the flavor. This would also cause flavor molecules to evaporate, which might impact the flavor as these molecules evaporate at different rates, altering the taste profile. If the alcohol were removed completely, this would cause separation issues as well- alcohol is added to flavors to act as a necessary solvent when some ingredients are less stable in a PG-only solution”
Easiest thing for me is just going to be avoiding ethyl alcohol flavors. Once I create a list I'll share it for others interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread