Flavors Apprentice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dixie1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
Springfield,Oregon,USA
This is a great site to bookmark for the flavor apprentice's stand alone starting percentages hope it helps >>> Flavor Percentage Recommendations The main reason is that the suggested percentages for the green tea is 5-15% LOL and for the Hibiscus it is 1-2% HUGE difference:eek: Good Luck:)

Reactions: Kenna

KimberKeelie

Sep 22, 2015
This is a great site to bookmark for the flavor apprentice's stand alone starting percentages hope it helps >>> Flavor Percentage Recommendations The main reason is that the suggested percentages for the green tea is 5-15% LOL and for the Hibiscus it is 1-2% HUGE difference:eek: Good Luck:)
Thanks for the info. Im gonna give it my best shot !!!!!

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
About the website that has that page showing percentages recommended for TFA flavorings - I live in Central FL and thought about ordering from them. But, their descriptions of their TFA flavorings don't show their actual ingredients, as I found on WL and several other websites.

For example, for Hibiscus, on their website, it says only: "Vices concentrated flavoring is FDA approved for use in food, beverages, and products for human consumption. All Vice's flavor concentrates are undiluted, full strength concentrates from the manufacturer, and contain no Diacetyl."

That's it! They don't say anything about PG, ethyl alcohol, Acetoin and or Acetylpropionyl, water, triacetin, Sucralose, etc. or other ingredients that may be in that particular TFA flavoring.

Here's what WL shows about the same TFA Hibiscus flavoring:
"Concentrated Hibiscus flavoring by The Flavor Apprentice. Hibiscus concentrated flavoring is FDA approved for use in food, beverages, and products for human consumption.

Ingredients: Nat. & Art. Flavors, PG, Water

All Wizard Labs flavor concentrates are undiluted, full strength concentrates direct from the manufacturer, and contain no Diacetyl.

From the Manufacturer's Website (TFA):
The flavor of hibiscus tea, tart and lively."

All of that - for the same TFA flavoring! Gee, I wonder which information provided...tells me more about a flavoring I was considering buying & using?

Also, their percentages on the page linked to can be recommendations from their own staff AND from other people who contact them to suggest percentages. I also found that somewhat odd.

@KimberKeelie - You may be interested to know that your TFA Green Tea flavoring actually contains: Natural & Artificial Flavor, Propylene Glycol, Water, Potassium Sorbate (a preservative).

Just my 2 cents, but thought you ought to know there are ways/places to find out exactly what's in your flavorings. Sometimes it'll help to know why it tastes a certain way, or smells as it does. When I had several flavorings that seemed "bitey" or "stingey" to me, I looked it up on WL. They actually had ethyl alcohol in them that caused it! Then I knew I needed to help evaporate it out to make it vapable for me. If I hadn't checked WL...I never would have known it was in my flavorings.

KimberKeelie

Sep 22, 2015
About the website that has that page showing percentages recommended for TFA flavorings - I live in Central FL and thought about ordering from them. But, their descriptions of their TFA flavorings don't show their actual ingredients, as I found on WL and several other websites.

For example, for Hibiscus, on their website, it says only: "Vices concentrated flavoring is FDA approved for use in food, beverages, and products for human consumption. All Vice's flavor concentrates are undiluted, full strength concentrates from the manufacturer, and contain no Diacetyl."

That's it! They don't say anything about PG, ethyl alcohol, Acetoin and or Acetylpropionyl, water, triacetin, Sucralose, etc. or other ingredients that may be in that particular TFA flavoring.

"Concentrated Hibiscus flavoring by The Flavor Apprentice. Hibiscus concentrated flavoring is FDA approved for use in food, beverages, and products for human consumption.

All Wizard Labs flavor concentrates are undiluted, full strength concentrates direct from the manufacturer, and contain no Diacetyl.

All of that - for the same TFA flavoring! Gee, I wonder which information provided...tells me more about a flavoring I was considering buying & using?

Also, their percentages on the page linked to can be recommendations from their own staff AND from other people who contact them to suggest percentages. I also found that somewhat odd.

@KimberKeelie - You may be interested to know that your TFA Green Tea flavoring actually contains: Natural & Artificial Flavor, Propylene Glycol, Water, Potassium Sorbate (a preservative).

Just my 2 cents, but thought you ought to know there are ways/places to find out exactly what's in your flavorings. Sometimes it'll help to know why it tastes a certain way, or smells as it does. When I had several flavorings that seemed "bitey" or "stingey" to me, I looked it up on WL. They actually had ethyl alcohol in them that caused it! Then I knew I needed to help evaporate it out to make it vapable for me. If I hadn't checked WL...I never would have known it was in my flavorings.
Thank you for taking the time to help educate me. I appreciate the information. DIY is tricky enough...then I go and add florals to the mix !

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
You'll be fine with DIY, and will have a lot of fun with it, too! And, you're welcome for the info. Knowing all the ingredients of a flavoring can help you decide if you want to go ahead & buy it...or to look and see if an alternative/variation of the same flavoring is available without an ingredient you want to avoid. I've found that with several TFA flavorings I use now. Good luck and I hope you make some great-tasting eliquids! :thumbs:

Dixie1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
Springfield,Oregon,USA
Ok you all I was just showing a site that has an updateable list of stand alone percentages used for TFA flavorings - I never suggested buying them from there.:wub: It is a good thing to bookmark and check as you go to mix testers of the flavorings. :) I buy TFA from Wizard Labs, and from The Perfumers Apprentice site. :thumbs: I have found that a lot of new DIYers do not know that even though a lot of TFA uses high percentages of flavoring they have a few flavorings that use tiny amounts too.:toast:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Ok you all I was just showing a site that has an updateable list of stand alone percentages used for TFA flavorings - I never suggested buying them from there.

Oh, I could tell that, didn't mean to imply otherwise. If it came out like that, I'm sorry. Just wanted to point out to OP (being new to DIY) that a complete ingredients list of what's actually IN a flavoring she used...could be found on other websites. It might help explain why 1 she received smelled, tasted, or affected her like it did. Also, if she found specific ingredients that "don't agree with her", she'd know where/how to check other flavorings to see if they had them before buying.

I have found that a lot of new DIYers do not know that even though a lot of TFA uses high percentages of flavoring they have a few flavorings that use tiny amounts too.

Oh yeah...I totally agree with you. TFA Cinnamon is definitely 1 of them I've discovered! :)

KimberKeelie

Sep 22, 2015

So should the green tea be dark brown?

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
@KimberKeelie , I don't think anyone really knows if green tea should be brown. I go by smell and then taste. The reason I say that is my smell determines if the juice should get more "lid off" time for chemically smells. In the end, does it taste (vape) good?

I know some here are concerned about ingredients in flavorings and that is important, especially if two brands make the same flavor. But, I also know that I am not smoking a more dangerous cigarette.

I guess it is good to know ingredients, but also, to do the lessor of two evils.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
@KimberKeelie , let it air another day, shake it periodically. I am just getting into DIY and I start with recipes, but, I change brands if I don't like a certain flavor of one brand. Does another brand make Green Tea? So much trial and error. I have about 120-130 flavors and I just make changes. Rather slow process with steeping, but I don't mind.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
JCinFLA--As USACelt said...TFA does list all their ingredients on their website Perfumer's Apprentice

I saw that when he posted it. Did I say anything to the contrary about it and not realize it? Not that I can see.

I did say the following in my post to Dixie after his comment: "Just wanted to point out to OP (being new to DIY) that a complete ingredients list of what's actually IN a flavoring she used...could be found on other websites." I was referencing the v-ecigs website she had a link to, and what limited ingredients they show. Didn't say anything about what Perfumer's Apprentice shows or doesn't show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread