Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I don't disagree.

But these are completely unrelated to vaping be it vapers tongue or the hygroscopic nature of our juices.

Drinking gallons of water a day might cure my vapers tongue.

But gargling and swishing 2 or 3 extra ounces a day (1/2 ounce at a time) of biotene, cepacol or Listerine will cure it.

Guns don't kill people, virgins do! -Jim Jeffries

Lol.

Staying hydrated eliminates the problem.

Rinsing your mouth isn't going to help past a few minutes, then back to square one.

Most people aren't properly hydrated.

"If you get thirsty, you are already dehydrated"
Request Rejected

I live in the desert where it was 115 degrees yesterday.
Understanding the importance of staying hydrated is a way of life here.

FYI, I always taste my juice.
;)

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Lol.

Staying hydrated eliminates the problem.

Rinsing your mouth isn't going to help past a few minutes, then back to square one.

Most people aren't properly hydrated.

"If you get thirsty, you are already dehydrated"
Request Rejected

I live in the desert where it was 115 degrees yesterday.
Understanding the importance of staying hydrated is a way of life here.

FYI, I always taste my juice.
;)
Lol indeed.

We had years of people here giving the same lecture...

Then getting vapers tongue themselves.

Many of which didn't live in the desert and drank ridiculous amounts of water.

Never had someone brush their teeth 2 more times, rinse and gargle 3 or 4 more times and still post about their vapers tongue.

Anecdotal? Yes.

No less than yours though.

Though it does prove hydration alone isn't the solution. ;)

Hell, I'd bet I expel more liquids than any individual takes in.

I'll take a bet from every person on the site.

And I still get vapers tongue because I can't always stop to freshen up often enough.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Lol indeed.

We had years of people here giving the same lecture...

Then getting vapers tongue themselves.

Many of which didn't live in the desert and drank ridiculous amounts of water.

Never had someone brush their teeth 2 more times, rinse and gargle 3 or 4 more times and still post about their vapers tongue.

Anecdotal? Yes.

No less than yours though.

Though it does prove hydration alone isn't the solution. ;)

Hell, I'd bet I expel more liquids than any individual takes in.

I'll take a bet from every person on the site.

And I still get vapers tongue because I can't always stop to freshen up often enough.

Are you arguing that dehydration doesn't affect taste?
It does. Not just vaping.
Thats a fact.

Maybe Im missing your point.

Yeah I guess l'll agree if you have a nasty mouth, that could be an issue as well....

Reactions: beckdg

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Are you arguing that dehydration doesn't affect taste?
It does. Not just vaping.
Thats a fact.

Maybe Im missing your point.

Yeah I guess l'll agree if you have a nasty mouth, that could be an issue as well....
I'm saying in your region, dehydration easily could be the prevailing factor.

But I posit it's likely more people live in New York alone than the entire US desert area.

I'm also saying that if lack of taste was due to dehydration, there's a much larger and more immediate threat.

I'm also saying there's a difference between losing taste from dehydration and vapers tongue.

With vapers tongue, one can usually still taste their food that brushes away the film or drink that washes it away.

So while a note that states "if you're dehydrating, drink more water" is accurate, appropriate and surely advantageous, it's a cure to remedy lack of taste from severe and dangerous dehydration, not a cure for true vapers tongue.

Especially since we should have learned by now that while the hygroscopic nature of juice will dry out the mouth, throat and nasal passages, we'd have to intake impossible amounts to dehydrate the body.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Especially since we should have learned by now that while the hygroscopic nature of juice will dry out the mouth, throat and nasal passages,...

Much harder to do when you are properly hydrated.

Most people aren't properly hydrated, and because they DON'T live in a desert, they only experience minor effects....like a loss of taste.

Reactions: Letitia

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN

Most people aren't properly hydrated, and because they DON'T live in a desert, they only experience minor effects....like a loss of taste.
Im not buying that.

Not for explaining vapers tongue.

I'm very familiar with dehydration... from a clinical and practical standpoint... all the way to a stroke and organ failure.

Say what you want, but the 2 are mutually exclusive.

Sure, dehydration can severely add to the effects or vice versa.

But they're not the same.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN

To be more clear, dehydration doesn't only happen at the surface and in the tissue, it effects the thickness and hydration of the blood as well.

With purely vapers tongue, this is not the case.

Again, it would take gallons to tens of gallons of juice to dehydrate the body vs. drying the surfaces through which we inhale.

And mouth breathing would likely have a much greater immediate effect than your average person's normal level of (de)hydration.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
I found biotene mouthwash a godsend when I first started vaping. My throat and mouth were dry all the time (and I drink a lot of water and excuse me for being gross but my pee was pale not dark, so I wasn't generally dehydrated). You can buy spray as well and toothpaste but I only used the mouthwash and it took about a month but that fixed it. Don't seem to need it now, so I guess I got used to vaping.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Biotene's pretty helpful. I have chronic dry mouth due to meds and dentures, and I used to solve the problem by drinking-- a lot-- and sucking on jolly ranchers but I ended up convincing myself that a) that's a lot of sugar and b) it probably wasn't the best for mouth health to just be sucking on something all the time, (an unintended that's what she said moment) and started using it. It does help quite a bit if you use it consistently over time. I still drink a lot of fluids, lithium is a salt and it makes you thirsty, but my jolly rancher habit is fading, and I started buying sugar free lozenges, and all is well.

I never really got vapers tongue, but my first week of vaping I was pretty hoarse. Worse hoarse than when I was smoking, even, I was worried it was going to stay like that, but it didn't. I got my voice back completely. I was really glad I read about sx of quitting smoking and what happens when you *start* vaping a lot or I might have been completely disconcerted, and stopped. I also was using a lot of vanilla then, and I've discovered that the vanillas also tend to make me hoarse, anyway, there's got to be something in that flavor that irritates me, as it happened with two different storebought juices....

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread