Fluctuating OHMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skizor

Aug 27, 2014
PA
So I have a Trident deck and all i want to do is build a single micro coil but I'm having issues.

My coils seem to look pretty damn good IMO. But on the OHM reader i get 2 OHM then i put it on the provari and get 1.6

These numbers keep going back and forth and wont stay the same and I cant figure out why I cant get an accurate reading. Also i have tried many different builds with different wraps and am having the same issue. Im looking for a 1 OHM - .7 range and just cant get one that stays constant when checking the OHM in the reader or on my Mod.

Im using 28 gauge kanthol with about 8 wraps sometimes i go lower or higher if i put two coils in there. But cant get any accurate readings. Any thoughts???

Im going to keep trying but i can post some pictures to show how decent my coils actually are. Let me know what you guys prefer I should do. Thanks

Kalaniboi81

May 23, 2014
Tacoma,WA,USA
Well i have had this issue before, but the ohm readings didn't differ by that much maybe .1 or so for me. You have to narrow down which one is giving the off reading. If you have a local shop i would bring in your meter and test the atty on yours then on theirs and that should let you know if your meter is bad or your provari isn't reading correctly. I would give both your connections a thorough cleaning and triple check that all your post screws are nice and tight. Also make sure your tightening the trident down on your meter enough. If it's not it will give an off reading. I hope you get it figured out.

What size drill bit are you using to wrap? Unless your wrapping it on a big drill bit 8 wraps of 28 should not put out 2 ohms IMO. VAPE ON!

Skizor

Aug 27, 2014
PA
Well i have had this issue before, but the ohm readings didn't differ by that much maybe .1 or so for me. You have to narrow down which one is giving the off reading. If you have a local shop i would bring in your meter and test the atty on yours then on theirs and that should let you know if your meter is bad or your provari isn't reading correctly. I would give both your connections a thorough cleaning and triple check that all your post screws are nice and tight. Also make sure your tightening the trident down on your meter enough. If it's not it will give an off reading. I hope you get it figured out.

What size drill bit are you using to wrap? Unless your wrapping it on a big drill bit 8 wraps of 28 should not put out 2 ohms IMO. VAPE ON!

I am using a 5/64th drill bit and i like 8 wraps seems decent. I just want a successful micro coil. I will go to the shop today and check that out. But i will let you know if i have any other issues. About to try it out now

Skizor

Aug 27, 2014
PA
Just redid the process and heres the pics i have.

Then i put it on the provari and got a .2 and then on the MVP got a 1.0 OHM reading.

Dont really know how all 3 devices would be incorrect but somethings wrong but the coil looks fine to me with 8 wraps.

I turned the OHM reader off and on to get these readings

1 try.jpg
2 Try.jpg
3 try.jpg
Coil setup.jpg

Lurch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2014
Central Florida
I had numbers jumping back and forth. Turns out my leg was stretched over the last coil when I made my connection. When I would put my cotton in it would bend just enough to straighten that leg out, then when I put the chimney on I think the cotton pulled it down enough to change my readings (couldn't see once I got the chimney on). My cotton kept burning at the exact same spot where that leg was bent.

p7willm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2014
Lansdale, PA, USA
The problem might not be in the coil. The atty can have problems too. Another thing people do is not tighten the screws enough, or too much and cut the wire.

Take the atty without any coil and stick it on the meter and it should read open. touch it and fool around with it and the reading should not change. If anything other than open shows up there is something you have to find in the atty. I spent over an hour taking a russian apart and putting it back together and could find nothing and I put it back together one last time and it is working fine, no idea why.

When you have the coil in and on the ohm meter touch the coil and wiggle it a little, kind of touch it and move your finger and it will stay in the same place and your skin will move around on your finger. There should be no change in the ohms. If there is either there is something wrong in the atty or the screws holding the coil are too lose.

A small difference, .1, between the ohm meter and your device is not a problem, but it should be the same all the time and neither should change just sitting there.

Danzig

Moved On
Aug 28, 2014
Texas
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Forum Rules...that you agreed to when you joined

Skizor

Aug 27, 2014
PA
The problem might not be in the coil. The atty can have problems too. Another thing people do is not tighten the screws enough, or too much and cut the wire.

Take the atty without any coil and stick it on the meter and it should read open. touch it and fool around with it and the reading should not change. If anything other than open shows up there is something you have to find in the atty. I spent over an hour taking a russian apart and putting it back together and could find nothing and I put it back together one last time and it is working fine, no idea why.

Hey man thanks for all the replies but I did play with it a bit and it didnt change the readings which is good.
Its not fluctuating as much anymore its stuck on .8 which seems to be correct for a 28 gauge build.
I am getting my mech tomorrow thank god and will try it out to see how she heats up. But i think the addy might be ok for now. I will try the things listed and let you guys know what I find out.

When you have the coil in and on the ohm meter touch the coil and wiggle it a little, kind of touch it and move your finger and it will stay in the same place and your skin will move around on your finger. There should be no change in the ohms. If there is either there is something wrong in the atty or the screws holding the coil are too lose.

A small difference, .1, between the ohm meter and your device is not a problem, but it should be the same all the time and neither should change just sitting there.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
first off cut off the excess wire leads, do a dry burn to oxidize the coil, then test your resistance. If you check the coils before dry burning ( oxidizing) the coils touching each other will give erratic readings on the meter. Put the atty on a mod and pulse the power button till the coils glow from the middle outward.....make sure all the loops( winds) glow evenly....well pretty much evenly :)

Skizor

Aug 27, 2014
PA
first off cut off the excess wire leads, do a dry burn to oxidize the coil, then test your resistance. If you check the coils before dry burning ( oxidizing) the coils touching each other will give erratic readings on the meter. Put the atty on a mod and pulse the power button till the coils glow from the middle outward.....make sure all the loops( winds) glow evenly....well pretty much evenly :)

So heres the issue when it read .8 OHMS it took around a good 3-4 seconds to get glowing hot. I feel like that's way to long. Shouldn't it heat up like instantly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread