For those NEW vapers that are afraid to mod...Blue Foam, again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hex13

Sep 28, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
I know that it is intimidating because I've been there. Heck, I'm still there, I've been vaping for 2 weeks. But, the blue foam and straw mod made my life so much easier that I have to give it my thumbs up. Here's the best part about it though - You don't have to ruin anything to do it.:2cool: Most e-cigs come with one or two blanks that have no foam in them anyway. There is nothing to lose here, but you may gain 2 more carts to use.

For those who don't know what it is:?:, it is all over the forum and youtube, but here's a quick rundown.

First take a cart that has no filler material (or remove the filler) and get some Marineland Blue Filter Foam size U is best (found at pet stores). Next measure the inside of the filter (I made a cardboard template) and cut the blue foam to fit. You don't want it tight inside, it needs to be just right, maybe even a little small. Personally I like to cut the foam about a millimeter shorter than the cart, it seems to wick better. Next go get some coffee, you need a coffee stirrer, the plastic straw kind. Oh, and be sure it is a coffee stirrer, not a Q-tip straw or anything like that, a coffee straw is made to withstand heat. If it is a double strawed stirrer, no big, just cut it into 2 straws. OK, cut the stirrer to length so that it is about 1 millimeter shorter than the foam (just a little shorter, not critical) and cut the end at an angle like this / so it is pointed - this end goes into the cart first. I like to split my straws on one side, basically just cutting it open longways, but not in half - you just want a straw with a slit all the way down. Place the straw between the foam and the cart (not into the foam, literally you want it touching the cart and foam). Fill and have fun!

What it does:
Think of an e-cig like a candle. The foam is the wick and it draws the juice (the wax in the metaphor) to the atomizer (the candle's flame). Most if not all filler materials are sub-par when it comes to wicking juice to the atty, and honestly the blue foam is the best I have used (and I've used many materials). The straw on the other hand will allow air to escape the cart. It makes filling more productive because you will no longer have trapped air in the cart, taking up delicious e-juice space. I slice my straw because it seems to allow me to fill faster. Instead of air having to be pushed to the bottom before it escapes through the straw, the slit allows it to escape anywhere.

The results:
You will have to refill less often (a big issue for me), and you will not lose juice stuck in the filler material (saves money and I just use less liquid in the long run), my attys last longer because they dry out a lot less often, and honestly my liquid tastes better because I'm not just getting one or two good drags before it loses flavor, I get a cart full of even and consistent vaping.:vapor: If this mod didn't work, I probably would have wound up dripping, but no need for me now.

I hope this may change your fears on modding. I was once in this situation. I felt that the e-cig makers new what they were doing :facepalm: so why try a mod that might screw things up. I have to admit, I will probably never mod my actual device, don't really need to, but small things like your carts and your foam, they are replaceable anyway (on almost any budget) and some mads like this one do not require you to destroy your original pieces to make new ones - so why not? Worst that can happen is you don't like it and you revert back. Well thats it, now go modding!

Vape and Billow!
HeX

spider362

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I like the Blue Foam Plug, but I didn't like having to remove it all the time to fill the cartridge and the plug gets pushed down away from the bridge too often. So I opted for the http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartridge-mods/58690-b-f-d-cart-mod.html (Blue Foam Dart Cart Mod) and fill it from the bottom using a syringe.

Also, instead of using a coffee stirrer I use the stem from a plastic cotton swab (Q-Tip). Holds more liquid that way.

Been using a single one for about 6 months now and it's still working like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread