Found a favorite T-shirt yesterday ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
Digging around in my closet yesterday, I found an old favorite black T-shirt, haven't worn it in well over a year ...

It had been washed last when I was still smoking, then hung up behind some winter stuff ...

Put it on, went to run some errands, and was standing in line when I noticed a really unpleasant odor. Looked around, then realized it was me ! :oops:

After more than 16 months, the shirt still reeked of stale tobacco smoke, once it warmed up from wearing it ...:shock:

Anyone else have this happen ? :confused:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Digging around in my closet yesterday, I found an old favorite black T-shirt, haven't worn it in well over a year ...

It had been washed last when I was still smoking, then hung up behind some winter stuff ...

Put it on, went to run some errands, and was standing in line when I noticed a really unpleasant odor. Looked around, then realized it was me ! :oops:

After more than 16 months, the shirt still reeked of stale tobacco smoke, once it warmed up from wearing it ...:shock:

Anyone else have this happen ? :confused:

No, because I stopped smoking in the house years and years ago. However, I know for a fact that my winter coat is going to need to be dry-cleaned before I can wear it again; when last I wore it, I was still taking smoke-breaks on the porch, wishing for a way to NOT freeze to death just to get my nicotine. Guess I found that way. :D But the coat surely reeks, and I'll probably need new gloves; pretty hard if not impossible to get that stank out of suede!

Andria

M3CH M0D M4DN355

Aug 21, 2014
UK
Yep, I had to get new curtains/drapes and cushions etc, cleaned and washed everything multiple times, frebreze everything that couldn't be cleaned multiple times. Repainted the room and bought a new leather chair which finally stopped the nasty oder, it smelled of new paint for a while then new leather, much more pleasant!:D

Smoke smell is tenacious!

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Simple green
Pump sprayer
Old towels
18" push broom

Put the degreaser in the pump sprayer with 2 to 4 times the volume in water.

Put the towel over the end of the broom like a massive swiffer mop head.

Spray the walls with the sprayer
Let it soak in for half a minute
Dry it off with your industrial swiffer

Works wonders for most smoke stains and odors. Minimizes extra coats of paint on stubborn, saturated areas where the smoke might bleed through the paint.

Works great on tile and vinyl floors also.

Great way to mop... and the "mop" is fresh from the washer every time... and the water is always clean. Makes a BIG difference.

If you have hardwood floors substitute degreaser for a little Murphys oil soap and you'll be surprised at the results.

Got a messy floor from a bunch of kids and/or pets? If you use an indoor/outdoor mop you can use it to scrub before you put the towel on it. Forget scrubbing on your hands and knees. That's for the birds.

If you can't tell I worked removing smoke odors. Don't know how I smoked while doing it. Disgusting!

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
I've been using a small portable steam cleaner for just about everything, for the past few years ...

It does a great job removing smoke scum from drywall, actually blasts the stain out of the paint, it looks almost like a fresh paint job ...

But I learned the hard way to keep moving the pad on the steam cleaner. If you linger in one spot for even a few seconds, it will raise a BIG blister in the paint ... :ohmy:

When the smoke scum is gone, so is the smell ... :D

celticluvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    Any furniture you have that is stained from smokey gunk stuff, unless its pricey or antiques, you can use Mean Green. I am talking like wal mart style furniture, pressboard like material. I posted elsewhere a day or two ago about it. That stuff is cheap but POWERFUL!!! I had a shelf that was given to me by a smoker (2-3 pad chainsmoker) who for three years had a her dad (again 2-3 pad chainsmoker) living with her.
    The shelf was originally an off white but when i got it it was brown/black used MG and it was tar and stench free!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread