Frustrated. Ohms Law/Rebuilding. Dummies/Basics, Backwards, this is not the way I learn ;(

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
I am not a stupid person at all. Quite the contrary but I am feeling so stupid these past few days and frustrated trying to grasp HOW to rebuild.
All these guides i am seeing, Ohms law for Dummies and so on...well by the 3rd line the words and numbers are all just blurring together and I keep starting over but this is just not the way I learn new things. I tend to work backwards in order to understand. Doesnt everyone? Maybe i am wrong??!!! Perhaps if you can bear with me that or I will make more sense...creative person who has a severe mental block for anything mathematical.

I really need some help as I have been at this for 2 days and am no where ahead...well i dont mean 8 hours a day but an hour here, 10 mins there and so on.. :(

I have right now, for example, a sigelei 100W. I had someone set me up but now its time for me to learn and i dont have access to that person again.

This is what I have in my possession:

I have 3 set ups -
1 x Delta ll tank on a iStick 50W using premade coils - Vape at about 25-30
1 x Delta ll tank on a Vamo 9 clone also using premade coils -30-40w Vape at about 35 (not sure how accurate board is)

I really am trying to move up to making my own, ohms law etc etc and feel like dummie of the week if not the decade :confused:

3rd Set up: (done for me)

Segelei 100W
Kanger Subtank Mini
I have a roll of 26 gauge A-1 Round Kanthal
USB Ohm Reader
A few blue wrapped Samsung 18650 batteries-some being used already, know all about charging, pairs, etc and new batteries for next move.

Reading my gauge I see, 3.8v.....0.8 ohm.........I Vape this one at about 17w

1. I know how to make a coil. I dont know how to test it for ohms law, what to set ohm at etc.
2. I'd like to be able to make coils for the Delta ll on each device but cant again figure out the ohms, so stuck.

I feel I need to be told WHAT to make it at safely given the above info.....get them set up, actually do it myself and once done, then I can work backwards and figure out what i did and why.
I find I need to do it to understand it....but loooking at charts with a zillion numbers makes no impression on me at all so I cant focus on what i need in order to learn...there are too many numbers, too many charts...they all make my eyes blur over.....

If I knew what to make them at and could do it--then coudlnt I just figure out what i made them at such and such a number and take it from there?
Any/every page i have gone to tends to go off to another link here, another link there and before i know it, I have 10 browser links at the top and my eyes are just blurring over.
So apparently i am not grasping this.
I dont have any friends that Vape so I cant hang out in a Vape bar and have someone show me or friends show me what to do so i am stuck tryign to figure it out from all these pages :(

Does anyone understand what i mean about doing it and working backwards to understand why i did it and once i understand MY PARTICULAR set up, I can understand the rest of it....? I feel I need to do it, in order to understand it and have something in order to relate to so the rest makes sense.

EDIT:

I have been known to over think things and the simpler it is the harder i sometimes find it so now my husband who is not at all helpful here has just told me i just need to make the coil and THEN put it on the meter---is this correct for I thought i had to know some particular information first before making it----when it was set up for me the person told me what he was doing before testing anything but thats where i am stuck as i am not sure what it is i need to know before I begin and cant remember what he told me as i was told so many things that day

Last edited:

Lova

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2014
Finland
Easiest way to rebuild and learn how to is by trial and error, there are lots of coil building help tools online. I mostly use steam-engine.org.

Just pick the coil wrapping tab, put in your kanthal thickness, the diameter of the coil you want to build (e.g. the thickness of the object you are wrapping on top of) then what ohms you want it to be and if you want a single or a dual coil. It should give you how many wraps you have to do to get those ohms. When you have the coil ready, put it in the atomizer you want to use it in and test it on the ohm reader.

Lowest you can build for a sigelei 100w is 0.15 ohms, so stay above that, try building 0.8-1 ohm coils first until you feel safe at those specs and then move to 0.5 or less ohms.

Edit: Screenshots and quote added.

Screenshots:
4ff2766c997f8459ae5bc8330c64634c.jpg

c5f5e6cf8c0215e90f0afe0c906144a1.jpg

I am not a stupid person at all. Quite the contrary but I am feeling so stupid these past few days and frustrated trying to grasp HOW to rebuild.
All these guides i am seeing, Ohms law for Dummies and so on...well by the 3rd line the words and numbers are all just blurring together and I keep starting over but this is just not the way I learn new things. I tend to work backwards in order to understand. Doesnt everyone? Maybe i am wrong??!!! Perhaps if you can bear with me that or I will make more sense...creative person who has a severe mental block for anything mathematical.

I really need some help as I have been at this for 2 days and am no where ahead...well i dont mean 8 hours a day but an hour here, 10 mins there and so on.. :(

I have right now, for example, a Sigelei 100W. I had someone set me up but now its time for me to learn and i dont have access to that person again.

This is what I have in my possession:

I have 3 set ups -
1 x Delta ll tank on a iStick 50W using premade coils - Vape at about 25-30
1 x Delta ll tank on a Vamo 9 clone also using premade coils -30-40w Vape at about 35 (not sure how accurate board is)

I really am trying to move up to making my own, ohms law etc etc and feel like dummie of the week if not the decade :confused:

3rd Set up: (done for me)

Segelei 100W
Kanger Subtank Mini
I have a roll of 26 gauge A-1 Round Kanthal
USB Ohm Reader
A few blue wrapped Samsung 18650 batteries-some being used already, know all about charging, pairs, etc and new batteries for next move.

Reading my gauge I see, 3.8v.....0.8 ohm.........I Vape this one at about 17w

1. I know how to make a coil. I dont know how to test it for ohms law, what to set ohm at etc.
2. I'd like to be able to make coils for the Delta ll on each device but cant again figure out the ohms, so stuck.

I feel I need to be told WHAT to make it at safely given the above info.....get them set up, actually do it myself and once done, then I can work backwards and figure out what i did and why.
I find I need to do it to understand it....but loooking at charts with a zillion numbers makes no impression on me at all so I cant focus on what i need in order to learn...there are too many numbers, too many charts...they all make my eyes blur over.....

If I knew what to make them at and could do it--then coudlnt I just figure out what i made them at such and such a number and take it from there?
Any/every page i have gone to tends to go off to another link here, another link there and before i know it, I have 10 browser links at the top and my eyes are just blurring over.
So apparently i am not grasping this.
I dont have any friends that Vape so I cant hang out in a Vape bar and have someone show me or friends show me what to do so i am stuck tryign to figure it out from all these pages :(

Does anyone understand what i mean about doing it and working backwards to understand why i did it and once i understand MY PARTICULAR set up, I can understand the rest of it....? I feel I need to do it, in order to understand it and have something in order to relate to so the rest makes sense.

Last edited:

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
Ok, now thats very helpful.
I know on the Kanger subtank that I want it to be 0.8 ohms Thats good enough for now. Not rushing anywhere down.
Or is it up? I dont know whats up or whats down. Hmm, judging by your words you dont want me going down, not up, ok so i have that figured out now...

That I now see
Funnily my converter tells me 5 wraps but i can do 6+

So then, after i build that I put it on the ohm reader and test if. I assume its going to tell me 0.8. What if it doesn't?
What then? ( guess I will ask if that happens)

Ok so where i am sort of stuck is knowing what ohm I want to build for, on the Delta ll tank.
Is there someting on the pre made coils that tell me what number i am after?

This is what i meant by working backwards. Once I know what ohms I am aiming for on the Delta, then I can do it and figureo ut afterwards the whys of all of it so the next tank I will know HOW to know what ohms I want it at.

At this point i am not sure why I need to do the Kanger at 0.8, I just know I must.....so figuring i can learn the why later although its likely something simple but just not at all sure what........but more imporatntly if I can be told what i need to do the Delta ll at then yes, I will figure it all out once i have done it and have something to refer to.

TIA

EDIT:

Adobe Photoshop was an easier learning curve

EDIT 2:

When I look at my Delta ll on the iStick 50 bearig in mind it is a pre-made coil, it says its at 0.6ohms but the Vamo 9 Clone doesnt tell me ohms on its screen but it too is a Delta ll tank

(never quick enough to get into the settings on the clone to tell what it is so assuming maybe its 0.6 as well but dont want to assume anything )

Last edited:

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
If it's too low, add a wrap or two. I usually shoot for 1,2 ohm coils. You have a vv setup, it's not that critical, just adjust the power.

It might not be to you, critical that is but you already understand it. I don't. I need to focus on one particulr spot which is, at this moment, 0.8. If I throw your 1.2 ohm into it, it will defeat all I wrote in the first post.

I'm still not yet sure why I love the Delta at 30 and 35 but if i were to Vape the Kangor at that rate i would have the most disgusting dry hit. So in order for me to understand it all, I just need to focus on one particular one first.......that being the 0.8 which now i sort of know.

Hence, my next question was what do I put the Delta at? Somewhere i am not clear on HOW i am to tell what i need to put the ohms at for each different Tank...hence, part of my confusion and/or why one is at 17 and the other 35?

I did ask someone else in a forum before and got a rude derogatory reply comment hence i have avoided asking for it usually just brings derision when one does.
They arent in any way helpful and I do know i am not the first peson not grasping this.......I was simply told to Vape it at whatever was comfortable. That unfortunately did not help me to understand why one is right at 35 and one right only at 17........so I find it best to just ask one question at a time, focus on one thing at a time.......and than take it from there

So, anyone know what ohms I need to aim for with the Delta ll on an iStick 50 so I can work backwards from that spot?

T.I.A.

EDIT

If it's too low, add a wrap or two

Not sure what you mean? Does that mean if it doesnt read at 0.8 I should make it, oh, lets say, 7 wraps instead of 6?

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
sinve you are using vv/vw power devices you don't have to be too exact about the coil ohms; just aim for about 1 ohm (anywhere between 1 and 2 ohms should work for your devices); then you can adjust your power devices to taste.

Kanthal A1
gauge ----- watt per ohm (per coil) for 200mW/mm2
34 ----- 1.4
32 ----- 3
30 ----- 6
28 ----- 10
26 ----- 23
24 ----- 45
22 ----- 91
20 ----- 182

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Current might be a more intuitive way of thinking about it.

gauge ----- current (Amps) for 200mW/mm2
34 ----- 1.2
32 ----- 1.7
30 ----- 2.4
28 ----- 3
26 ----- 5
24 ----- 7
22 ----- 10
20 ----- 13

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
ok, well i can tell from your number of posts that you do know what you are talking about but i dont understand then why this other person stressed over and over that i Had to get the ohms right. That I had to have a device that was accurate and even if it were off a bit, i had to make sure it was accurate...he really stressed it over and over.
So I will go with what you are saying for i havent seen any videos that have stressed it either, but according to him i had to check it at least twice and keep squeezing with ceramic tweezers. I would squeeze it anyhow if needed but he did it twice for i remember it was just slightly off and he kept saying it had to be exact, precise, etc.

Alright well since you both say it must be ok then i will go with that but i have gone though countless pages lookig for an understanding of this and I reached saturation point tonight.
BTW there are som really bad videos out there of people making coils. It only took one attempt to make a perfect coil but some of them, well, i dont know how they wrapped them as they did so far apart. :p

Ok well this woudl certainly make it a lot easier for all those charts and more charts do not agree with me.

Thanks again finally i can just go ahead and get rid of these premade coils so thank you, all of you. I wish I had asked this before i began hunting down videos and pages on Friday night.

I volunteer some time by teaching seniors computers and how to use them, lightly fix them etc and I know i HAVE to be very careful how I explain things to them. What seems so simple and hardly rocket science if you know what you are doing and dont need to think about it, can be very confusing to someone learning it the first time---so i felt like i imagine some of these seniors do at times when i do explain something and i think i am clear but by the look on their faces I know i have to start over and simplify it more, until the light bulb goes on and then.......the rest becomes much easier

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
ok, well i can tell from your number of posts that you do know what you are talking about but i dont understand then why this other person stressed over and over that i Had to get the ohms right. That I had to have a device that was accurate and even if it were off a bit, i had to make sure it was accurate...he really stressed it over and over.
So I will go with what you are saying for i havent seen any videos that have stressed it either, but according to him i had to check it at least twice and keep squeezing with ceramic tweezers. I would squeeze it anyhow if needed but he did it twice for i remember it was just slightly off and he kept saying it had to be exact, precise, etc.

Alright well since you both say it must be ok then i will go with that but i have gone though countless pages lookig for an understanding of this and I reached saturation point tonight.
BTW there are som really bad videos out there of people making coils. It only took one attempt to make a perfect coil but some of them, well, i dont know how they wrapped them as they did so far apart. :p

Ok well this woudl certainly make it a lot easier for all those charts and more charts do not agree with me.

Thanks again finally i can just go ahead and get rid of these premade coils so thank you, all of you. I wish I had asked this before i began hunting down videos and pages on Friday night.

I volunteer some time by teaching seniors computers and how to use them, lightly fix them etc and I know i HAVE to be very careful how I explain things to them. What seems so simple and hardly rocket science if you know what you are doing and dont need to think about it, can be very confusing to someone learning it the first time---so i felt like i imagine some of these seniors do at times when i do explain something and i think i am clear but by the look on their faces I know i have to start over and simplify it more, until the light bulb goes on and then.......the rest becomes much easier

1: For people who are used to mech mods, it's a matter of getting the ohms right.
In your case, and most people nowadays with a vv/vw mod, you don't have to be so exact with the ohms, because you can just adjust your mod.

2: Yes, when explain things to adults, sometimes its just more a matter of setting them off on the right path knowing that they'll find the way easiest from there.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California

Accuracy in coil ohms isn't a big deal on a regulated device like you are using, other then making sure it's high enough for your mod to work. If the mod fires, it's high enough :p
Accuracy like that person was stressing to you applies to sub ohming on mechanical mods..... No need to worry about all of that at this time.
Some people prefer a certain ohm range in their coils on regulated devices........ For entirely subjective reasons. A coil in the range of .8 to 1.2 ohm will work just fine in any of the setups you listed, since you can adjust your power up and down to find your sweet spot. On a mechanical mod, you HAVE to do those adjustments on the coil.

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
ok so I am using aan app that calculates and I figured since i dont know any better, I will do 0.8 ohms on the Delta ll tank as I did on the Kangor Sub Mini but when I fill in the figures,

wire type- kanthal A1
Diamater- 26
Target Resistance - 0.8 ohm

it then asks me for
inner diameter but without touching anything it is at 1.588mm and total leg length 4mm I then press Calculate and it tells me to do 8.9 wraps?

does that sound right, 8.9 wraps????

i thought it was usually 5-6?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
ok so I am using aan app that calculates and I figured since i dont know any better, I will do 0.8 ohms on the Delta ll tank as I did on the Kangor Sub Mini but when I fill in the figures,

wire type- kanthal A1
Diamater- 26

it then asks me for
inner diameter but without touching anything it is at 1.588mm and total leg length 4mm I then press Calculate and it tells me to do 8.9 wraps?

I am Nowhere near the Expert on building coils as some people here on the ECF. But here is what I do.

I build 3mm Coils because it is Easier to put Cotton Wick thru the coil. I don't worry about leg length. I just leave it at what the default is, 5mm I think. Then I set my target Ohms at about 1.2 Ohms.

Wrap the Coil, and hit it at 6 watts. Wow... No Vapor and not much Flavor. So I just keep Bumping up the Watts till it taste right For Me.

Once it's hitting good, then I go back to the Steam Calculator and plug in what I using. 3mm Single Coil, 28ga Kanthal A1, 1.2 Ohms, 16 Watts, Yada Yada Yada....

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Then I look at the Heat Flux Number. And I write it down. Because the Heat Flux value is a Good Guideline of what I like.

So if I like 189 mW/mm for one Build, chances are I am going to be Happy doing a Different Build using Different gauge wire, More/Less Loops, and or different Ohms as long as I have Something Close to 189 mW/mm

And if my First Build is Too Hot, or I can't set my APV High Enough, then I use the Heat Flux number to make a New Build which is either Cooler or Hotter than my First.

The Heat Flux to me is the Thing I keep my Eye on.

Reactions: Baditude

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
Thanks. I dont think i have ever seen more than 6 wraps so i just wanted to make sure that i hadnt somehow done something wrong.

Beefy wire?
The store I bought it in, was the place that told me to get that size.
Same person that told me about the ohms, unless i misunderstood somehow.

admittedly thisi would have been a LOT easier if i had had friends that vaped, that I could have had shown me, etc; but no one does except the hubbie ane he uses Nautilus mini tanks so he's not yet interested in any of this---on my own :)

From what I have seen, its not sounding as if i will stick with this 26mm wire if its that beefy, for long but i just want to get t his made, my first one now and then i will slowly read everything else newly posted in the past hour

thanks for both posters, will absorb in a bit.. :vapor:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013

wire type- kanthal A1
Diamater- 26

it then asks me for

The bigger the diameter of the coil, the less wraps you will need.

the 1.588mm is 1/16 inch

Reactions: Baditude

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
1 last question for now............maybe it should be 0.5 ohm rather than 0.8?

Im looking at one of the premade coils on the side. I remember being told to look at those and sort of use them as a guide and it says 0.5 on it, for the Delta ll coil whereby the Kangor sub min coils were 0.8

so when i put 0.5 through the steam engine site it comes out to 6 full wraps. Is that perhaps a better number to be using? IF its such thick wire, wont 9 wraps be too think that it wont fit well.lol....or maybe i dont have the vaguest idea of what i am thinking of ;)

so 0.5 ohms isnt too low, or too high right?

i have to look back at one of the posts in this thread where someone said just make sure you dont go below a certain ohm number i cant remember until i look at it......arggggh, i dont like not knowing what i am doing----i just want to be able to instanly sense what numbers this would be, what it would do there, etc etc etc...

i just want the immediate short cut to understanding it all ..... :-x

so..........short question, 0.5 ohms at 6 wraps sounds better on this i think??/!!!

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
ok so if i did 0.8 ohms on the kangor sub mini.......what is YOUR advice to do on this Delta ll if the premade say 0.5 but you are telling me you prefer 1 or 1.2?

you understand this, i don't.
i just need a number thats going to work and likely be very good and if i can just get ONE done......but its this not knowing what to put it at and everyone has a different answer.
thats what i first asked in my very first post......just for a number and then i can figure it out but now i have people telling me different numbers and none of them mean anything to me.

please i just need a number....an ohm number to aim for on this delta tank but i think, if i am right that you have to keep in mind that the premade is 0.5 and i am using 26 not 29 gauge? ( i coudlnt tell you if 29 guage is bigger or smaller than 26-i have never worked with these things before ever)

If i am wrong on that, dont worry about it for now..........i just really need a good number to go with and take it from there? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread