Full proof no-leak e-cig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raven13

Jun 18, 2013
Maryland
Hello all,

I started out with Apollo e-cigs. They were okay... but just not enough juice. Then I discovered Apollo and the eGo systems. FANTASTIC for the most part! I found anything less than a pro-tank was suspect to leaking one way or another. And even the pro-tank, if left in my hot car for a spell, will wind up leaking some... forcing me to clean it out before it gets back to normal operation.

Is there anything out there that won't leak under any circumstances? Money is not an issue. I'm just curious to know if there's anything out there that's full-proof when it comes to leaking.

Best!

Matt

raven13

Jun 18, 2013
Maryland
Hey T... thanks for the information! I'm very happy with the Apollo stuff (and the Protank 2) so it's good to know I don't have to invest more time into looking for a leak-free e-cig with any kind of vaping power. I know I have to make sure not to leave the e-cigs in the car. It just slips my mind sometimes. So I'll just have to try and be more careful!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I recommend looking into a cartotank. These don't leak unless there is user error involved. I find that they provide better flavor than clearotanks, too. I have a few articles on cartotanks in my blog to learn more about them:

Guide to Juice Attachments

Review of IBTanked and How to Put Together a Cartotank Setup

Cartotank Help for a Noob

Baditude's Cartotank Setup Guide

Something Safe for Cinnamon & Citrus Flavors

IBTanked-on-Spinner.jpg dctank.jpg

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia
They all leak. Some people are compelled to care for them like live puppies or something, but you don't have to do all that. Just apply a little common sense.

Warmer liquid flows (and leaks) better. You already discovered how that works in a hot car. Same applies if you carry yours in a pocket. Or use liquid that comes from a warm container.

Every vaping apparatus has some sort of seal to keep the liquid inside. Take a minute to figure out where they are. You already know how gravity works, so if not in your hand in use, find a way to put your gear down in a way that reduces how much liquid up against those seals. Most tanks seal on the ends. So lay it down on it's side and it will leak less. I carry mine in my front pocket. That's where it goes when I sit down somewhere. Horizontal and nearly never leaks. If it does it's a tiny amount that is barely noticeable.

A full tank is more likely to leak than a partial one. Don't fill one unless you're going to use it right now. If you must pre-fill a tank for later, put it in a ziplock bag. And carry a tissue or extra fast food napkin to wipe it and your hands off when you eventually retrieve it for use.

Baditude: Great job on the blog post. Probably one of the best how-to's that I've seen on carto tanks that isn't all video. I'm guessing that tank tool centers the top cap so you don't slice the o-rings up when pushing the carto through? I'm on limited mobile internet most of the time and typically avoid streaming video, so will not be viewing the demo clip right now. I have a carto tank and enjoy it, but most of the time that's just too much work. Everyday use is a top coil wick tank. Unscrew the top, fill, and go.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina

CloudyDaze

Oct 6, 2013
Colorado
whatever you do, don't get a pro tank 2. Mine is a leaky mess of a pain in my .... I'm about to throw it in the trash (after I take a hammer to the piece of crap) and go back to analogs because of how often it leaks. Every single time I take a draw, through 3 attys now, the next draw sucks. I have to clean the entire thing EVERY draw.

Mind you, i got off analogs with a evod and a ego pen style battery. I went and got myself a SVD and a PT2 thinking yay, this will rock.

It did rock for the first atty, then it has been kicking me in the balls ever since.

also, I've been going through ~40ml per month. I've gone through about that much in 15 days because of how leaky and crappy the pulls are. Constant puddle under drip tip, etc.

Last edited:

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
Well, I know I might get smack for saying this; but the OP did say he didn't care and money isn't an issue, and it is a rather "fool-proof" answer.

Reo Grand. Reos Mods

It's a bottom feeding mod that uses a dripper. You squonk juice, and it wets the coil. The rest of the juice gets sucked back down into the bottle. There is no need to over drip into a reservoir full of mass amounts of cotton to hold juice like traditional top drippers, and there is definitely NO leaking.

Bullet proof vape.

- Edit: to add super_x_drifter's intro video...

Last edited:

Jarbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
New Jersey
whatever you do, don't get a pro tank 2. Mine is a leaky mess of a pain in my .... I'm about to throw it in the trash (after I take a hammer to the piece of crap) and go back to analogs because of how often it leaks. Every single time I take a draw, through 3 attys now, the next draw sucks. I have to clean the entire thing EVERY draw.

Mind you, i got off analogs with a evod and a ego pen style battery. I went and got myself a SVD and a PT2 thinking yay, this will rock.

It did rock for the first atty, then it has been kicking me in the balls ever since.

also, I've been going through ~40ml per month. I've gone through about that much in 15 days because of how leaky and crappy the pulls are. Constant puddle under drip tip, etc.

weird. never had a leaking issue with any of my 3 protank 2s.

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
OP - I don't have much experience with the Protank but other bottom coils I've used in the heat I found a way to keep the flooding at bay somewhat. When they are in a situation where exposed to heat I keep them upside down so the thinned liquid isn't hitting the wicks. I have no problem flipping them and take a few puffs but I put them back upside down until cooled. That is too much of a hassle though so the last few weeks of last year with high temps I used top coil in heat. I'm wondering how well cartotanks will hold up in the heat since I didn't really use that until after the highest temps.

I recommend looking into a cartotank. These don't leak unless there is user error involved. I find that they provide better flavor than clearotanks, too. I have a few articles on cartotanks in my blog to learn more about them:

Guide to Juice Attachments

Review of IBTanked and How to Put Together a Cartotank Setup

Cartotank Help for a Noob

Baditude's Cartotank Setup Guide

Something Safe for Cinnamon & Citrus Flavors

I have noticed flooding in 2 situations with cartotanks. One was a road trip through the mountains. It was cold but I think the bigger issue was the altitude changes.

The other issue is with the larger 6ml tanks. When I was going in and out of 50-60 degree weather it started flooding. I don't get this issue with the 3.5 ml tanks that use the long cartos. I don't know if it was the particular carto, the tank or the width but frequent 10 to 20 degrees swings were causing issues.

I don't have time to read your blog posts to see if this is addressed at the moment, if it isn't addressed there - Comments?

ETA - The larger was brass and glass. The smaller were stainless steel and plastic. Again, I don't know if that is a factor.

Last edited:

ncvapfan

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2013
Asheville nc
the extra large cartos that don't go in a tank are probably the closest to what your looking for. All the whiny old dudes I know swear by them. I think beyond the quality control of the PT heads there is a learning curve to them that can be overcome. I love them but once I got a kayfun (that has never leaked on me) I leave the PTs for backups

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD
Well, I know I might get smack for saying this; but the OP did say he didn't care and money isn't an issue, and it is a rather "fool-proof" answer.

Reo Grand. Reos Mods

It's a bottom feeding mod that uses a dripper. You squonk juice, and it wets the coil. The rest of the juice gets sucked back down into the bottle. There is no need to over drip into a reservoir full of mass amounts of cotton to hold juice like traditional top drippers, and there is definitely NO leaking.

Bullet proof vape.

- Edit: to add super_x_drifter's intro video...

A cheaper option is the VMod. Gravity fed, and the cone doubles as a drip shield.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
OP - I don't have much experience with the Protank but other bottom coils I've used in the heat I found a way to keep the flooding at bay somewhat. When they are in a situation where exposed to heat I keep them upside down so the thinned liquid isn't hitting the wicks. I have no problem flipping them and take a few puffs but I put them back upside down until cooled. That is too much of a hassle though so the last few weeks of last year with high temps I used top coil in heat. I'm wondering how well cartotanks will hold up in the heat since I didn't really use that until after the highest temps.

I have noticed flooding in 2 situations with cartotanks. One was a road trip through the mountains. It was cold but I think the bigger issue was the altitude changes.

The other issue is with the larger 6ml tanks. When I was going in and out of 50-60 degree weather it started flooding. I don't get this issue with the 3.5 ml tanks that use the long cartos. I don't know if it was the particular carto, the tank or the width but frequent 10 to 20 degrees swings were causing issues.

I don't have time to read your blog posts to see if this is addressed at the moment, if it isn't addressed there - Comments?

ETA - The larger was brass and glass. The smaller were stainless steel and plastic. Again, I don't know if that is a factor.

Carto tanks are basically bottom coil tanks; they can be kept upside down also as a precaution to avoid leaking.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
It's possible to make any device leak with the right (or wrong) set of circumstances. Bottom feeders like the Vmod and Reo are very good for not leaking. I'm funding the Kayfun is very good for this too. I chose either my Kayfun or Vmod if I need a no leak vape. The Vmod's (and the Reo's) box shape is also very easy to put in a pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread