Funky exhale.. AGA-T2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrandonSi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2009
Chicago
I went three rounds with this damn thing before finally getting rid of that infamous top hot spot (washer method). Now I'm getting a slightly 'funky' exhale, and I'm wondering what that might be. My RSST didn't have this taste on exhale, so I'm wondering if perhaps I'm getting a short on the wick to the tank at all?

The taste on the exhale is almost a metallic flavor, but it's subtle, not harsh like a hot spot hit. I oxidized the wick with a butane torch but it definitely was rubbing on the sides when I put the wick in (I have trouble getting this things super thin for some reason.. I missed out on the college 'experience' every seems to have to know how to do this).

Using 325 mesh with 32awg kanthal wire. Multimeter shows it at 1.4ohm, just another manual clone with 18490 ~ 4v right now I'd guess since the battery is somewhat fresh.

I did the pulse method with the coil (didn't oxidize / burn it before hand).

So far it appears to be wicking ok, I can burn it and watch it for 5-6 seconds and no glowing at all.

Is this slight taste on the exhale maybe part of a normal break in period? I'm just curious, as I never had this on my RSST (but I did notice it on some old SS Line v2's I had). Anyone know what I'm talking about, or am I just sounding crazy? :D

BrandonSi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2009
Chicago
You say your using the "washer method", could it possibly be something on the washer that is burning off of it?

Did you notice any kind of coating on the washer you installed?

Definitely possible, but I've noticed the same taste before with my Line's and they didn't use a washer. FWIW, the washer was just an extra from the RSST bag.. The RSST uses the same washers and the taste isn't there.

I'm not happy with it, somethings just not right. I tore it down and will rebuild it tomorrow with new wick / coil. Going to really torch the wick and kanthal this time and see if makes a difference. Previously I gave the un-rolled mesh a quick torch, and didn't torch the wire at all (just pulsed it on the wick once in place).

BrandonSi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2009
Chicago
OK, rebuilt it 2-3 more times today and finally got it going.. Got rid of the washer, still had some issues but I think it was the coil was too lose, creating some sneaky hot spots. I had been wrapping the coil around 3/32 drill bit and the wick around a 5/64nd bit, and then placing the bit in the hole and wrapping to the posts.. for whatever reason, I seem to get better tension wrapping the coil directly on the drill bit when it's in place on the deck (vs wrapping on the bit in my hand). Some minor coil adjustments once the wick went in and we're good.

Also a possibility that I was getting the wick too small after removing the drill bit I was using to get it wrapped.

32awg, 2/3 wrap and metered out to ~1.6ohm. Working great now.

I think it was just a technique thing.. Looking forward to the 28/30 awg I have coming in.. I think a larger coil surface area is going to help mitigate the issue with the wrapping technique / wick width.

I also drilled the air hole out to 3/64 while I was it, a bit better airflow. This thing is really good when it works!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread