G-Priv 2 TC initial ohms adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eclipt

Mar 11, 2018
Hey there everyone! I'm pretty new to TC and eagerly waiting till DNA250C finally hits to get my hands on a decent chip. So far I've been using a smok G-Priv 2 and from watching reviews by DJLsb, I've got the impression that it can handle TC quite well. Thus, I decided to try it out while I wait for the 250C to come out.

Build:
Geekvape SS316l Stagger Fused Clapton (26+32)*2+32 (I know, it's huge, but for some reason the local shop only had this SS clapton)
Dual-Coil in a Kylin at 5 wraps/3mm, ohming 0.11 (0.10 pre-wicking) on Coil Master V3 kit ohm meter
G-Priv reads it at 0.121 (sometimes 0.117 with a good push)
Using SS mode at 92 TCR

Results:
1. Using the 0.117 read, with 100-110W, on-screen temp barely reaches ~85C and it's pushing warm-hot vapor
2. Manually setting initial ohm to 0.110 most I can see is 187C on screen with warm-hot vapor
3. Manually setting initial ohm to 0.107 I can feel it throttling at warm vape with 200C setting (feels like it's kinda working this way)

Discussion:
1. Is the G-Priv 2 so out of wack in TC? Or is it just mine that's crap with +0.01 read? Should I ask for a replacement?
2. Is it the wire that is too complex for TC? Will it work with a DNA250C?
3. If the mod is reading r +0.01 shouldn't it read the same +0.01 while firing at TC and thus measure the difference to estimate temp correctly? If so, why does it show such low temp with it's original ohm reading?
4. Do I have the theory messed up?

EDIT:
I did fail to mention that the initial pre-wicking read was around 0.111 on the mod, but my memory is a bit foggy from building during the night and some beer :) I am feeling that I will probably never see this reading again as my apartment is pretty warm (guessing 25C+). This might contribute to the results that I am getting.

Another thing that I am feeling is that those staggereds have such a massive heating area (Vape Tool says 1000+), that at 200C they are already making everything around so darn hot amd should be vaped at <200C. Anyone else experience this with massive coils?

UPDATE:
Quick update after trying an initial read in the morning. The mod got it at 1.09! I fine tuned the ohms to 1.08 to compensate for my high room temperature and am getting a nice cool vape limited at 170C. I am not sure whether this temp is true, but I feel it is already at the point where I should just enjoy my TC vape. So hopefully someone finds my initial ohm adventure useful.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Eclipt

Mar 11, 2018
If you're new to TC just start with round wire otherwise you'll have no starting point to look for errors.
That is a good tip, I do plan to do a simple build of dual SS304 26 or 28 at 8 wraps/3mm on my second Kylin before attempting to clapton up some 24+28 :)

I did fail to mention that the initial pre-wicking read was around 0.111 on the mod, but my memory is a bit foggy from building during the night and some beer :) I am feeling that I will probably never see this reading again as my apartment is pretty warm (guessing 25C+). This might contribute to the results that I am getting.

Another thing that I am feeling is that those staggereds have such a massive heating area (Vape Tool says 1000+), that at 200C they are already making everything around so darn hot amd should be vaped at <200C. Anyone else experience this with massive coils?

Eclipt

Mar 11, 2018
Quick update after trying an initial read in the morning. The mod got it at 1.09! I fine tuned the ohms to 1.08 to compensate for my high room temperature and am getting a nice cool vape limited at 170C. I am not sure whether this temp is true, but I feel it is already at the point where I should just enjoy my TC vape. So hopefully someone finds my initial ohm adventure useful.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, with every mod you are going to need to play around wiith TC. Fancy wire builds are actually great candidates for TC, since they do have so much mass and can heat things up. I can't speak to the g-priv specifically, although I have heard that Smok mods don't do "fantastic" TC, with that said I have heard a LOT of things.

I'm a MTL vaper and I find a simple, spaced wire of SS is more than enough for my needs, in fact I really almost never reach "vape protect" temperatures in my builds, although I am a total wattage weenie and also use lower TC settings. I do think it's easier to dial in, but if you love the flavor you are getting from high mass builds, there is nothing wrong with using them in TC mode. I would still probably try some simpler builds and experimentation in TC.

Your DNA mod will likely be far more accurate, but since you will be purchasing/getting one soon, there's nothing wrong whatsoever with experimenting with the mod you have and learning more about how TC vaping works before you get it. Even if it's not a "perfect" TC mod, all experience is good experience and etc.

Anna

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Didn't say it's wrong to use more complex wires in TC, but for a beginner it will be frustrating because they will never know if undesired behavior is the mods or the coils fault.
Better to check the mod with simple wire and if that works well then go on to more complex things.
Coils with multiple touching points can change their resistance ever so slightly or even have hot spots, best to know your mod is working correctly before putting in the effort of trying to fix your build.

• Informative

Eclipt

Mar 11, 2018
Ok, so I tried doing a simple build on my other Kylin. Dual-Coil SS403 26ga, 8 wraps at 3mm. This went out at 0.28ohms, G-Priv 2 read it at 0.288. I am getting pretty good vapor at 70w for these plain wires, yet with TC (TCR 105) I am getting comparable results at 255C, mod is showing numbers around 240C~ while vaping. So it is throttling at 240-260 range probably. I believe this is pretty high temperature, will it not burn my wicks if I take a prolonged hit?

EDIT: Actually 270C seems more comparable.

Last edited:

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
The temperature the mod shows is only a number. How accurate it is depends on many things. One of them is the TCR value you use. For a dual coil I have the best results with raising it slightly, try 5-15 above what you set.
Also I believe you have SS430 and not SS403 ;)
Set the TCR so that values around 230°C produce the right amount of vapor and don't taste burnt.

For a more accurate temperature reading you need a high quality board and with dual coil the build needs to be very consistent as well (spacing, ID, leg length etc).
Real electronic thermometers get calibrated and their probes quality tested, we make our "probes" ourselves.

• Useful

Eclipt

Mar 11, 2018
The wire is SS304 :) messed up the 3 and 4 there. From what I see on the screen, I feel that the G-Priv 2 is struggling to maintain a smooth TC, that's why I don't get that nice vape that I get with VW. Basically VW keeps going till I stop, while TC fluctuates with a high degree of variance struggling to produce a nice vape, but continues to stress the cotton and coils at fairly high temp. So, my conclusions from messing around with this mod is that I'll wait for my DNA to get decent TC experience and continue in VW for now :)

Vape Magoo

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2017
:unsure: I was blinded by love of the Primo Mini (I have 6 + 2SE) even though temp control never seemed like a worthwhile thing. With that many I have discovered just how inconsistent the product and quality of the product is.

I purchased a G-Priv 2 Luxe from a local dealer (packages can take up to 2 months, and there is a slight chance of confiscation or a $40 import charge and a lot of hassle).

I didn't really want the touch screen, but I decided to try it anyways. Siren V2, Berserker, Ulton KF Prime, they really work a lot better on the G-Priv 2. I only run at 310f - 330f, but the vape seems a lot "fuller", I get a much more enjoyable hit.

Went to get a second one and the local vendor was out. And it is going for a lot more online plus the long wait and possible risk. But the vendor had an H-Priv 2. I tried that, and it works at the same level as the G-Priv 2 Luxe.

Tempted to get a second one before the vendor is sold out of them too (only 2 left).

But DJLsb seems to review as only so-so at TC. He actually seems to be saying the H-Priv 2 is better than G-Priv 2.

I'm am seeing the opinion that SMOK not that great for TC. Looking at a lot of videos and nothing else is jumping out as that much better, or if it is, there are other issues I don't want.

Really looking at the Paranormal 250C. But I hear issues of having to send them back to the company for a fix. I could live with that if I was in the U.S., but I'm not in Kansas any more. Local dealers where I am just don't deal with warranty, no matter how great Lost Vape is about customer service, shipping it back is expensive, slow and a hassle. Using expediated shipping is a guarantee it will be flagged for inspection, an additional $40 charge and actually would take longer than snail mail.

I am tempted to get that second H-Priv 2, but after my blinded by love affair with the Primo Mini.... Grrrrrrrr…..

Hungry for the Paranormal 250C, but if I get a bad mod...……. Grrrrrrrr……….

Anyone have the Paranormal and either the G-Priv 2 or H-Priv 2? Would really like to hear a comparison between them with TC.

Last edited:

Eclipt

Mar 11, 2018
Hey there :) I actually got the 250C after my G-Priv 2 when it came out. I did have to return my 250C due to a fried chip, but ecigone was fast and helpful with the process. When I got the new one, I had an issue with a slightly loose door, but as I have no need for exchanging the carbon ones, I simply glued it on and everything works great. It's sad that such a great product has so many quality issues. I guess this might be only for the first batches and the rush to market.

From vape perspective, it's like 2 different worlds for me. TC on the SMOK seems like a gimmick after using DNA, especially Replay. Even though TC works great on the 250C, I feel that Replay makes it so much simpler. Try out different wattage, heat the coil up and lock it - always the same, even out of the cold. Also, you can use Replay together with TC, meaning you can get a good TC upper limit and lock in the starting point when your coil is heated up and you get the same TC puff all the time. Also, keep in mind that a good tasting vape usually comes from a curve, not a linear line of temperature.

My recommendation is if you want pure wattage - SMOK is great! If you want control over your vape - DNA or a similar precision chip is the way to go :)

Vape Magoo

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2017
Well that should suppress my impulse to pick up another H-Priv 2 or G-Priv 2. I hope. I'd pay the price for the 250C, already came close to doing it. Return shipping is just too much here and the local shops just won't stand behind it and handle it. A lot of exposure to loss. I've been playing with curves in Arctic Fox on a couple of the mini's with reasonable results. Afraid by the time I get back to the states deeming will have made DNA disappear or ridiculously expensive :(

Vape Magoo

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2017
Not sure about G-Priv 2/H-Priv 2 being good for VW. There's no way to give them a custom curve. I like that they are both solid. I really like their 510 pins (compared to Primo's they're fantastic). The coil resistance readings I get from my SMOK's match what DJLsb stated in his review. So I am thinking SMOK is consistent in that area. Primo is not, no 2 of my Primo's read the same resistant on the same coil and tank. One as far as off as 0.62 on a 0.44 coil. The Primo Mini's screens started out a nice crisp bright white (the first couple I purchased), again no two mods are consistent, they seem to be heading towards nicotine yellow. My last one was the worse, faded and blurred pixels, hard to describe, but not right.

But I finally figured out the PI Regulator with Arctic Fox is a definite MUST use feature for TC. 0, 300, 300 really creates a stable TC for simple SS coils for me. On reddit someone threw this out:

"400-600 for P and around 300 - 500 for I seemed decent for a plain jane coil in my initial tests"

"Range - 0..100% - temperature range when PI regulation becomes active. 0 means that regulator is always on and controls power distribution from start of puff, 20% for example -
PI regulator turns on when temperature of coil reached 20% range from profile settings;
P - proportional constant, the larger it is, the sharper the power changed;
I - integral constant, the larger it is, the settled power distribution is smoother."

Someone posted this on Arctic Fox for setting from scratch. I am too lazy to try working with it, and it is also just not necessary now that I know the range for simple SS, but may be useful for someone looking to use it for complicated coils.

Pi Regulator & preheat

Look for post by: SandbagJohnny

Arctic Fox also lets me adjust the reading of coil resistance, another must have with Primo.

I REALLY wish local dealers of Lost Vape would deal with warranty issues.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread