Gboxs100 vs drip box 160

Status
Not open for further replies.

brittianm

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2015
Hello all. I'm wanting to get into the realm of squonking. I love the concept and saying "squonking" ive narrowed down my search to the gbox s100 and the dripbox 160. I am wondering which mod you all prefer? I'm also looking at a SKV squonker that takes 20700 battery, so if you have any thoughts on skv, I would like to here those too. As always. Thanks in advance.

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
I have both the Gbox S100 and a Dripbox 160. The Gbox is a much better mod all the way around in fit, finish and function. The only thing the dripbox has over the Gbox is being able to refill the bottle without having to take the batteries out.

9b713d09fa1224ba250fdee02c1fbb02.jpg
fc7f37769f18c4b2ad2ff03e29d6ddaf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
If you can live with the 60-70 watts you can get out of a single battery mod, take a hard look at a Council of Vapor Wraith. I have a pair of them I snag every time I leave the house. I am also rather fond of the Pico Squeeze, but it is not a variable wattage device; it vapes like a mechanical. You have to build your coils to set the wattage against battery voltage. I don't mind, but it ain't for everybody. The Wraiths, though... that's nice gear.
IMG_20170316_220416552_HDR.jpg

brittianm

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2015
If you can live with the 60-70 watts you can get out of a single battery mod, take a hard look at a Council of Vapor Wraith. I have a pair of them I snag every time I leave the house. I am also rather fond of the Pico Squeeze, but it is not a variable wattage device; it vapes like a mechanical. You have to build your coils to set the wattage against battery voltage. I don't mind, but it ain't for everybody. The Wraiths, though... that's nice gear.
View attachment 668993
I really like that wraith. I was just worried about the battery life.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

brittianm

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2015
I have both the Gbox S100 and a Dripbox 160. The Gbox is a much better mod all the way around in fit, finish and function. The only thing the dripbox has over the Gbox is being able to refill the bottle without having to take the batteries out.

9b713d09fa1224ba250fdee02c1fbb02.jpg
fc7f37769f18c4b2ad2ff03e29d6ddaf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
I was leaning towards the gbox. I wish that thing came in white. It looks like they only have the black option.

Reactions: Btsmokincat

brittianm

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2015
No , I wish. Probably get the wraith until they come out with another one. Im intrigued in inregulated squonk mods like skv. Some have mosfets and some do. Ive never owned a mechanical so I don't know what a mosfet is/does exactly. Id like something with a fuse in it too. I'm all about safety.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
I really like that wraith. I was just worried about the battery life.

At work I vape st 28 watts, so as not to annoy TPTB. A Sony VTC4 has never failed to last through a 12-hour workday. An LG HD2C would go farther. And it isn't all that hard to slip a spare in a battery sock and fetch it along. Much easier to carry than a two or three battery mod too.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
No , I wish. Probably get the wraith until they come out with another one. Im intrigued in inregulated squonk mods like skv. Some have mosfets and some do. Ive never owned a mechanical so I don't know what a mosfet is/does exactly. Id like something with a fuse in it too. I'm all about safety.

A MOSFET is a Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor. It is a switch, not a fuse (it is also an amplifier, but let's not confuse the issue). They are used in mods to allow a small (and small current capacity) switch to control very heavy currents. The "fire button" actually switches on the MOSFET, and the MOSFET switches the vape current. They add nothing to safety, aside from helping amateur modders avoid the temptation of using too-small a switch in their creations, to avoid the big, expensive and ugly switches needed for high power.

All that said, a mech is perfectly safe to vape if you have an ohmmeter, good batteries, and understand how changing the coil value also changes the amp loading on them. I, among many others here, can teach you if you are interested. I have been a mekkie since before good regulated mods offering more than 15 Watts of power became available. And in which case, you might really want to look at the Pico Squeeze I mentioned above. eLeaf swears the silly thing has electronic protection for too-low coils, although I've never had occasion to test the matter. It vapes like a mech, in other words: the coil and native battery voltage determine the applied watts, and the applied watts vary (decrease) over time as battery voltage falls. But it has short circuit protection. Kanger, FWIW, also makes a similar product, albeit I haven't tried it.

Reactions: brittianm

brittianm

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2015
A MOSFET is a Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor. It is a switch, not a fuse (it is also an amplifier, but let's not confuse the issue). They are used in mods to allow a small (and small current capacity) switch to control very heavy currents. The "fire button" actually switches on the MOSFET, and the MOSFET switches the vape current. They add nothing to safety, aside from helping amateur modders avoid the temptation of using too-small a switch in their creations, to avoid the big, expensive and ugly switches needed for high power.

All that said, a mech is perfectly safe to vape if you have an ohmmeter, good batteries, and understand how changing the coil value also changes the amp loading on them. I, among many others here, can teach you if you are interested. I have been a mekkie since before good regulated mods offering more than 15 Watts of power became available. And in which case, you might really want to look at the Pico Squeeze I mentioned above. eLeaf swears the silly thing has electronic protection for too-low coils, although I've never had occasion to test the matter. It vapes like a mech, in other words: the coil and native battery voltage determine the applied watts, and the applied watts vary (decrease) over time as battery voltage falls. But it has short circuit protection. Kanger, FWIW, also makes a similar product, albeit I haven't tried it.
So since its 60 watts and my battery is 20 amps I could vape it with a .3 as the lowest build since it cuts off at 60 watts. Thr amps I would be drawing at
.3 at most would be 14 amps? I'm asking because I want to make sure I have this down before buying a real mech. .3 I say as the lowest becsuse
.25 would be over the squeeze's particular power limit

Reactions: suprtrkr

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014

Forgot to mention: the Pico is half the size of the Wraith, uses the same batteries, and has a really ingenious bottle connector.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Yo
So since its 60 watts and my battery is 20 amps I could vape it with a .3 as the lowest build since it cuts off at 60 watts. Thr amps I would be drawing at
.3 at most would be 14 amps? I'm asking because I want to make sure I have this down before buying a real mech. .3 I say as the lowest becsuse
.25 would be over the squeeze's particular power limit

You'll probably want to be a bit higher than a .3 ohm coil. Yes, to answer you, a .3 coil draws 14ish watts at 4.2V. It will draw less as the battery discharges. But it is right on the bubble as far as the short circuit protection is concerned, and might not fire. Or maybe your ohmmeter disagrees with the mods and it thinks your .3 is actually a .29 ohm coil. I shoot for .5 ohm coils in my mechs-- personal satisfaction; this is the vape I like-- which provide 35 watts at 4.2V (8.4 amps) and 27 watts (7.4 amps) at half charge of 3.7 V. Below half charge, the vape starts to get weak for me and I am reaching for a fresh battery.

Check out ohmslawcalculator.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread