G'day vapers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSL_Aus

Aug 16, 2018
Hi all,

been vaping since mid-May this year (2018) and made the switch from analogs (cigs) fully to vaping at that time, so right now I'm 3 months free of those darn ciggies :)

I'm from Australia, that great big nanny state in the south, where vaping is not officially allowed. But that doesn't stop us from vaping!

Been lurking on these forums for a long time, I actually got much good advice here that helped me make the switch to vaping.

Thanks - Justin.

Bradder

Am I Chip or am I Dale?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Shooting the Shadow.jpg

Welcome. Glad you have decided to overcome the lurker in you. Enjoy the forums.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hi and Welcome to ECF from an expat in Arizona. I don't know what kind of state Arizona is other than slightly insane but I think the same could be said of many governments these days.

They are also Super ineffective, so although I dread roadwork season, there is that. Arizona looks "progressive" from some vantage points, but I think it's more like, "We grafted the funds, and we don't know what to do now."

Probably Arizona's saving grace. LOL.

Anan

JSL_Aus

Aug 16, 2018
Thanks Anna :)

I've seen photos of Sedona, Arizona, truly stunning - almost picture postcard perfect.

As for Australia, life is fairly normal, probably a lot like much of the USA, although our government lately are acting like a "big bunch of controlling nannies" :)

Why they won't legalise vaping down here is officially due to all the unknown health "risks". But unofficially, they make nearly 18 billion a year in taxes on cigs, so I suspect that is it..

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Sedona's an anomaly but it's one of my favorite places to visit. Like... if I could keep a straight face, I might set up shop as some sort of palmistry thing, although the husband and I did get aura pictures taken there. Despite my never having mentioned it, the lady was all, "Hey, eh, are you bipolar?" and I was like, "Yes, and why?" She was like, "It keeps fluctuating so I need to know which picture to use." (LOL I was kind of more interested in the BAD picture quite honestly and what "it" might represent.)

But despite the husband having pontificated a LONG time about the state of his aura "It will be blue!" he said, "It will be large, and it will be serene."

I was like, "Man, I'm not even gonna have the faintest clue what mine is, I wouldn't presume to know."

Mine was all blue with purple around the edges, plus like many extremely positive traits were attached in the "analysis." The husband's was like this muddy yellow with what looked like a BITE out of it, honestly, and I guess his "total energy reading," well the aura lady said he was "one step down from a plant, in fact that is the energy reading I would expect to see from recent roadkill" more or less.

I was torn between deep sympathy and like uncontrollable laughter because if there is one thing I guess you shouldn't wander around predicting it's auras. I mean....

I've been all over Aus my parents used to make us drive from Sydney to Adelaide like every Christmas just right through the desert. My most indelible memory besides deep, deep boredom was the year of the Great Drought and all the dead kangaroos. Also, seeing Broken Hill where my mom had the misfortune of growing up. I think her love of travel was fueled by a deep desire to like, get Away From This God Forsaken Place, and well, I can't say I blamed her. LOL.

But yeah, Sydney was alright back then for a middle schooler I could ride the trains everywhere and well, it was fun. Etc.

I think it's probably money but at least there isn't much enforcement... Yet,

Anna

JSL_Aus

Aug 16, 2018
Funny story about the Aura's, Anna, thanks for sharing.. a big bite out of your husband's aura, lol. Maybe the cookie monster thought it was a cookie, not an aura, perhaps? :)

Thanks Budgie. Yes, am confident I will never return to the regular smokes. Had a really bad cough that lasted for a few weeks, and then me being a worrier, had a few days of extreme anxiety.. the sort of anxiety that a ciggy would get rid of.. I was tempted but then thought "no, stuff it, I am not going back to smoking". So I did some meditation and things are better again today.

Thank heavens for vaping eh? Nothing else got me off the cigarettes, but vaping did. :thumbs:

[Edit] - and thanks Jebbn for the welcome.

Last edited:

Budgie

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2018
Scotland
Funny story about the Aura's, Anna, thanks for sharing.. a big bite out of your husband's aura, lol. Maybe the cookie monster thought it was a cookie, not an aura, perhaps? :)

Thanks Budgie. Yes, am confident I will never return to the regular smokes. Had a really bad cough that lasted for a few weeks, and then me being a worrier, had a few days of extreme anxiety.. the sort of anxiety that a ciggy would get rid of.. I was tempted but then thought "no, stuff it, I am not going back to smoking". So I did some meditation and things are better again today.

Thank heavens for vaping eh? Nothing else got me off the cigarettes, but vaping did. :thumbs:
Likewise, I had tried different things, including hypnosis to quit smoking, with no success, I was vaping for a year or so as well as smoking, then thought, “enough”, threw my cigarettes and lighter in the bin (a nice lighter as well), and haven’t looked back.

Possum64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Hi @JSL_Aus and welcome to ECF! Congratulations on taking up vaping!
I'm from Australia, that great big nanny state in the south, where vaping is not officially allowed.
Just to clarify this ^^. Vaping is certainly allowed in Australia. No problem at all. It is not illegal to vape. It becomes confusing because each State has their own set of regulations.

You can vape loud and proud - (in public) in any area designated as a 'smoking zone'. (In some states you can vape outside these designated smoking areas). Smoking and vaping are treated the same. Fair enough. There are quite a number of brick and mortar Vape Stores around now as well selling a variety of hardware and liquids.

Further confusion comes in with nicotine liquid.
E-Liquids containing nicotine cannot be sold in Australia.
Depending on what state you are from however, you can import E-Liquids containing nicotine, or just nicotine liquid for DIY.

But of course, our government is not going to promote or support vaping - not when cigarettes are selling for $40 a packet and as you stated, they make nearly 18 billion a year in taxes from cigarettes.

Like you, I have tried to quit smoking before but nothing has worked like vaping. Love it!

PS here is a link to an article from sydneyvapeco.com.au regarding vaping and the law in Australia if you are interested
Australian Nicotine Laws

Last edited:

JSL_Aus

Aug 16, 2018
Thanks for the welcome, @Possum64 !

Yes, maybe not illegal to vape here, but not exactly unrestricted either.. seems the only laws written specifically around vaping with nic have to do with the TGA and importation rules..

I know people who would benefit from switching to vaping, but when I tell them they need a credit or debit card and a computer, vaping seems all too hard, when they can go to a zillion shops nearby and buy cigarettes so easily.

Possum64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
vaping seems all too hard

So true! I have a brother-in-law who I have spoon feed everything vaping related to, but he still smokes like a chimney. I didn't force vaping on him, he asked about it because he saw how successful I was in giving up a 38 year habit.

In Queensland we have quite a few vape stores now so it makes it even easier to buy vaping stuff (except for the nicotine content!)
The brother-in-law groaned when he had to pay $70 for his first vape kit, yet he does not hesitate to hand over $220 for a carton of his cigs - all smoked in less than a week! I don't get it. Maybe in time, when HE is ready he may make the switch.

JSL_Aus

Aug 16, 2018
I have a brother-in-law who I have spoon feed everything vaping related

Same - my neighbour who knew I quit a 29 year smoking habit with vaping started hitting me up for puffs of my vape mod when he'd run out of cigs for the week.

Then he was hitting me up all the time, so I said "do you want to buy one of my spare vape devices?"
"Sure, but what about the juice?"
"You have to get it online. So you'll need a computer and a visa debit card".
"Oh. Can I just buy some of your juice that you don't need?"

If they would make vaping as accessible as cigarettes here (over 18s of course), then it might be enough to help more smokers make the switch. I'm pretty computer savvy, but many others need to be able to just walk to the local store and buy there.

Possum64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
started hitting me up for puffs of my vape mod
Ha! :lol: I had a few people try that with me too! Recently I bought 20 Myblu starter kits. They were on sale for $1 a kit (instead of $19) US dollars of course. With shipping I think they worked out at just over $2 AU each. I now carry a few with me when I go out. If someone is interested or wants to puff on my vape I give them one of these kits!
They don't provide the BEST vaping experience but they are great in a pinch.

JSL_Aus

Aug 16, 2018
They don't provide the BEST vaping experience but they are great in a pinch.

Lol :) You might actually be doing them a disservice, @Possum64 - they have such a bad first experience that they are put off from vaping for a long time, lol..

As for my neighbour, it has worked out well. I've been able to sell some of my less-than-stellar-tasting juices at bargain basement prices, and my neighbour? Well, he's desperate and out of cigs when he wants to vape, so he happily accepts even juice that tastes like perfume :w00t:

Possum64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
You might actually be doing them a disservice
They really aren't that bad! Not going to win any cloud competitions with them but they do give you a fair idea of vaping to be honest. I couldn't use them full time but they are good in a pickle.

I've been able to sell some of my less-than-stellar-tasting juices
So good that you have found a home for your juice rejects! We all have different tastes and your neighbour probably loves them. I have bought a few juices that to me were just blah! but there is always someone around who will like it!

JSL_Aus

Aug 16, 2018
So good that you have found a home for your juice rejects! We all have different tastes and your neighbour probably loves them.

Yes :) I felt bad so I threw in some free juice as well. I told him "well these are a mocha chocolate coffee style, but they do have a very slight perfum-ey taste to them."

Truth is, they just were bad bottles - both tasted like perfume from day one, and no amount of steeping improved things. But he smokes like a chimney until he runs out, then he'll vape until payday, so his sense of smell and taste aren't going to be the best... and he hasn't complained..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread