ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I'm from Australia, that great big nanny state in the south, where vaping is not officially allowed. But that doesn't stop us from vaping!

G'day @JSL_Aus

Australia is a tough environment. It doesn't help when global brands like Liberty Flights price gouge the Australian vapers. That's why they don't get 1 penny (or 1 cent) of my money. I boycott Liberty Flights and have done for over 4 years.

Oh look... and Vaporfi is selling their wares there too. There's a surprise.

I bet Juul are there too. :-x

JSL_Aus

Aug 16, 2018
Thanks TG!

Yes, I am in permanent 'refraining' mode, having managed to start refraining 3 months ago.

I was really lucky, I ended up making a complete switch from cigs to vaping straight away. In a sense I tricked myself into it. The original plan was to cut my smoking down by half the first week, then less and less over time until I was completely off the cigs.

As it turned out, I bought half my usual amount of ciggies the day my vaping gear and juice arrived, but then got through the whole day only vaping and no smoking, so I thought "what the heck. Keep going." And so I did, and I've never smoked since. I had about 6 packs of smokes still in my cupboard, and after a few days I was anxious to get rid of them, as I didn't want to be tempted some time and start smoking again. So I sold them all to my neighbour for about half price. He was happy and so was I.

The trick was to me that by allowing myself the option of just cutting down, emotionally I was able to deal with it better if that makes sense, rather than thinking "this is it - no more smoking".

Drewballs

Jul 22, 2018
Perth Australia
Thanks TG!

Yes, I am in permanent 'refraining' mode, having managed to start refraining 3 months ago.

I was really lucky, I ended up making a complete switch from cigs to vaping straight away. In a sense I tricked myself into it. The original plan was to cut my smoking down by half the first week, then less and less over time until I was completely off the cigs.

As it turned out, I bought half my usual amount of ciggies the day my vaping gear and juice arrived, but then got through the whole day only vaping and no smoking, so I thought "what the heck. Keep going." And so I did, and I've never smoked since. I had about 6 packs of smokes still in my cupboard, and after a few days I was anxious to get rid of them, as I didn't want to be tempted some time and start smoking again. So I sold them all to my neighbour for about half price. He was happy and so was I.

The trick was to me that by allowing myself the option of just cutting down, emotionally I was able to deal with it better if that makes sense, rather than thinking "this is it - no more smoking".
Makes perfect sense mate I was the same, I went three months dual use and I remember bumming a smoke and not even getting through half before I put it out.. couldn't stand the taste!

Hashy

Aug 26, 2018
G'day from Western Sydney.
Good to know there's a few other Aussies around here =)

Our laws do suck. Here in New South Wales they changed it recently so as to have the same restrictions as smokers, effectively relegating vapers along side smokers, which is a real pain, especially when just quitting. The smell, god the smell, it's so strong... Can't believe only 2 months ago I was smelling like that 24/7.

JSL_Aus

Aug 16, 2018
Thanks Hashy! Yes, it's good to see some other Aussies on the forums here.

Yes, I agree that our laws suck, and now we can't vape within 4m of a building, etc etc. On a different note, when I quit smoking and started vaping, I decided to keep on vaping outside, as I did when I smoked. I figured if I allowed myself to vape inside, I'd do it a lot more. So now, every hour or so, I go outside to have a "vaping break".

But it is absurd to think that second-hand vaping is a big issue, and with the laws here in NSW changed to fit, as you mentioned. There was a time when I read of a story of someone being allowed to vape inside a hospital :rolleyes:

Hashy

Aug 26, 2018
Thanks Hashy! Yes, it's good to see some other Aussies on the forums here.

Yes, I agree that our laws suck, and now we can't vape within 4m of a building, etc etc. On a different note, when I quit smoking and started vaping, I decided to keep on vaping outside, as I did when I smoked. I figured if I allowed myself to vape inside, I'd do it a lot more. So now, every hour or so, I go outside to have a "vaping break".

But it is absurd to think that second-hand vaping is a big issue, and with the laws here in NSW changed to fit, as you mentioned. There was a time when I read of a story of someone being allowed to vape inside a hospital :rolleyes:

I also vape in (much) the same places I did when I smoked. Part of my mentality with vaping was to make it like smoking, if that makes sense. Keep vaping where I smoked. Vaping is smoking. Positive self brainwashing ;p
Although I do get peoples arguments about having to vape right next to smokers, & yes, it stinks, bad, & it can be difficult for new vapers to have to even be around it, I do personally find that vaping is a shield for me against smoking. If I'm vaping while hanging around smokers, I can tolerate it.

It is absurd to think that second-hand vaping is a 'big' issue. There are considerations for children with asthma for example (WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF TEH CHILDRENS!!), it's however not worse than the invisible clouds of vaporised perfume 'certain individuals' leave in their wake.
Before these changes (back in March I think) in NSW, the law was basically 'default' to no vaping allowed, however the owner of an establishment (e.g a pub, or even a hospital in the example you gave) could choose to allow it at their discretion.
With these new changes, I presume that is all out the window, however it doesn't seem to have stopped the owners & customers in the local vape store from doing it... Hmm...

Anyway, our vaping laws are a mess, it's a constant battle here right now.

JSL_Aus

Aug 16, 2018
Anyway, our vaping laws are a mess, it's a constant battle here right now.

Totally agree. Every week my mum sends me a new article on some new 'issue' with vaping, and some reason to keep it restricted. Seems the anti-vaping mob here are determined to demonize vaping in this country.

The ridiculous thing is that Australia doesn't really have any data on vaping, only opinions, and all that is based on overseas evidence, which is overwhelmingly positive and in favour of vaping.

As a perspective, we have around 3 million smokers in Australia, and from what I've read, around 250,000 vapers. I do occasionally get funny looks from people when they see me vaping in public, although I have had a few comments about how nice my vape clouds smell :)

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Hashy

Aug 26, 2018
I do occasionally get funny looks from people when they see me vaping in public, although I have had a few comments about how nice my vape clouds smell :)

The other week, at the smokers spot outside the plaza, all the bogans were looking at me with my Pegasus as if I were hitting a billy. Sigh...
Also had a few people do the fake 'your cigarette is annoying me' cough.

I honestly couldn't believe that 3 million people in 'Straya smoked! That was, until I stopped smoking. Then I saw them. Everywhere.

Kinda sad how people will do the tobacco lobby's work for them. I wish people were more educated about vaping. Sadly it seems to be a case of 'it looks like smoking, therefore it must be bad'.
I liken that to getting upset over somebody drinking a glass of water, because it looks like vodka. o_O

JSL_Aus

Aug 16, 2018
Also had a few people do the fake 'your cigarette is annoying me' cough.

I honestly couldn't believe that 3 million people in 'Straya smoked! That was, until I stopped smoking. Then I saw them. Everywhere.

Yep. People associate a cloud with smoking, so they put on their automatic 'cough' to make a statement. I try and remind myself that it is just their reptile brain part making that association.. or even that they are just a reptile :)

Yeah, funny, since I quit, I notice a lot more smokers down in our local shopping mall. Seems like there are more smokers now since I quit, lol..

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread