Geekvape Aegis Legend or Smoant Cylon

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, I don't have the Legend, but it sounds like kind of a no brainer for you as far as durability. I think most folks who have that mod are liking it.

I have a Cylon and I like it a great deal, so does the husband. I've dropped mine a few times, he probably hasn't. I really like my Cylon and it's been durable for me, but I would still think the Legend might be the way to go. I mean, I haven't dropped it really hard. It's been reliable and I love the mod, but I think equally folks are liking the Legend, to be honest. I'd probably think it would be more durable than the Cylon though most Cylon users seem to be happy with it as a great vape, etc.

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I don't have either, but I'm expecting delivery for an Aegis Legend next week to do a review for Geekvape.

If durability is your priority, my guess is the Legend should be your first choice. There's plenty of reviews on You Tube that shows its durability against abuse. Although not "unbreakable", it is intentially designed to be water resistant, dust proof, and reasonably shock proof.

Aegis Legend Water and Drop Testing - Battery Mooch

Smoant Cylon
Thoughts on the Smoant Cylon 218W Box Mod?

Last edited:

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I love my Cylon and it is plenty durable for my use. Having said that the legend is going to be more durable than the Cylon and from what I’ve heard the legend performs fine. The Cylon has excellent performance and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a solid mod but in your case the Legend might be what your looking for.

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    I decided on the Legend because durability was more important then performance
    As a legend owner I can tell you it has many problems from ghost screen lite up, very poor battery life, paint starting to come off my fire button, poor TC . I would reconsider your choice and go with the Cylon. By the way my boss also owns a legend and is having the same problems.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    As a legend owner I can tell you it has many problems from ghost screen lite up, very poor battery life, paint starting to come off my fire button, poor TC . I would reconsider your choice and go with the Cylon. By the way my boss also owns a legend and is having the same problems.
    There is apparently a firmware update to fix most of that . @QcVaper just posted about it

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Thanks buddy, must be new Iv'e been checking. I hope this update fixes the problems because it is a great looking mod.
    I’ve got it and the original ageis and I still can’t decide which I like better. I like the increased battery life but it is really quite large compared to the ageis which wasn’t a lightweight to begin with. My biggest issue atm is I can’t find a usb cable to fit into the port well. Everything I’ve got is too big.

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    I’ve got it and the original ageis and I still can’t decide which I like better. I like the increased battery life but it is really quite large compared to the ageis which wasn’t a lightweight to begin with. My biggest issue atm is I can’t find a usb cable to fit into the port well. Everything I’ve got is too big.
    Dd you try the included cable that came with the mod.

jim_87

Resident Forum Lurker
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2018
    USA
    I don't have either, but I'm expecting delivery for an Aegis Legend next week to do a review for Geekvape.

If durability is your priority, my guess is the Legend should be your first choice. There's plenty of reviews on You Tube that shows its durability against abuse. Although not "unbreakable", it is intentially designed to be water resistant, dust proof, and reasonably shock proof.

Aegis Legend Water and Drop Testing - Battery Mooch

Smoant Cylon
    Thoughts on the Smoant Cylon 218W Box Mod?

I love my Aegis Legend. Really tough, feels good in the hand. I find it funny in the user manual there is an asterisk that says "avoid impact". :D

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I love my Aegis Legend. Really tough, feels good in the hand. I find it funny in the user manual there is an asterisk that says "avoid impact". :D
    Apparently the issue is that the legend isn’t quite as tough as the ageis. The issue is the battery door. Apparently it won’t quite pass the milspec test because if you drop it right on the door it can dent or something. Still unusually tough for a mod though I think. Me I still would have taken screwin battery portsto get the full rating but someone apparently really wanted the door

williamclarkonet

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 11, 2014
    Iowa United States
    Apparently the issue is that the legend isn’t quite as tough as the ageis. The issue is the battery door. Apparently it won’t quite pass the milspec test because if you drop it right on the door it can dent or something. Still unusually tough for a mod though I think. Me I still would have taken screwin battery portsto get the full rating but someone apparently really wanted the door
    I think that definitely its weak point

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Well, there are folks having issues with their Cylon's screens too. It seems to be a bit luck of the draw. I've had my cylon longer and have dropped it several times . Not the legend yet. I think they're both good options, (to the OP) and at this point I will say what I always say. Now you've had feedback weighed in, INCLUDING the fact that any new mod may start out with issues that may need to be addressed. I find both to be durable, functional and have had 0 issues with either.

There is NO promise that ANY manufacturer is going to be able to deliver a mod with 0 QC issues, although I'd say based on what I've read, well, if you get a Legend, be prepared to update it. But mainly, for the most part, I'd say go with what appeals to you most. I think either is a good choice although granted, it's easier for me to say that since I have had NO issues with either mod.. The legend is heavier and bigger, but I think it has to be (by design) to kind of match up with the Ages. Etc.

Anna

jim_87

Resident Forum Lurker
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2018
    USA
    Well, there are folks having issues with their Cylon's screens too. It seems to be a bit luck of the draw. I've had my cylon longer and have dropped it several times . Not the legend yet. I think they're both good options, (to the OP) and at this point I will say what I always say. Now you've had feedback weighed in, INCLUDING the fact that any new mod may start out with issues that may need to be addressed. I find both to be durable, functional and have had 0 issues with either.

There is NO promise that ANY manufacturer is going to be able to deliver a mod with 0 QC issues, although I'd say based on what I've read, well, if you get a Legend, be prepared to update it. But mainly, for the most part, I'd say go with what appeals to you most. I think either is a good choice although granted, it's easier for me to say that since I have had NO issues with either mod.. The legend is heavier and bigger, but I think it has to be (by design) to kind of match up with the Ages. Etc.

Anna
    Luckily, I have only had the random backlight issue once. It was when I put a fresh set of batteries in, and fired it up for the first time, hasn't happened since, and I believe I have over 400 puffs on the legend now. I agree, seems to be luck of the draw.

jim_87

Resident Forum Lurker
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2018
    USA
    Dd you try the included cable that came with the mod.
    dangit I can find the aegis box but not the legend box
    The micro usb that comes with the aegis legend fits perfect. I tried my usb from my S7 work phone, and the plastic above the top of the micro usb connector was too wide.

jim_87

Resident Forum Lurker
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2018
    USA
    I watched the aegis legend review from Suck My Mod on YT, and he dropped the mod right on the door, and it broke the outer latch off.

Skip to 14:41 for the drop test. In all fairness, he dropped it from chest height, higher than what is recommended from Geekvape. From pocket height, it did fine, just some minor scrapes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread