hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I’m back for another review. It’s been a busy month for me and my family with one daughter graduating high school and the other graduating college. I was sent the Aegis solo kit with Cerberus tank as well as a Tengu rda by Geekvape for the purpose of this review. I have reviewed the Cerberus tank in the past so I’m not going to cover it again on this review. Just let me say that the Cerberus in my opinion produces really good flavor and I like it. The Aegis solo is also available as a kit with the Tengu rda so I’m going to talk about the Solo and the Tengu. I’ve had the Solo and Tengu for near a month now and am just now getting around to doing the review because of my personal life being busy. I appreciate Geekvape being sympathetic to this. Ok, so let’s get started.

What’s in the box:

Aegis solo:

1* Aegis Solo Mod
    1* Battery door tool
    1* USB cable
    1* User manual

Tengu rda:

• One GeekVape Tengu RDA

• One 810 PMMA Drip Tip

• One 810 Delrin Drip Tip

• One 510 Drip Tip Adapter

• One 510 Squonk Pin

• Two N80 Fused Clapton coils
      • 28ga*3+40ga

• 0.4 ohm

• Nichrome
    • Four Feather Cotton

• Spare Parts and O-Rings

• One T-Tool

• User Manual

upload_2019-6-1_10-50-34.jpg

upload_2019-6-1_10-50-35.jpg

Specifications Aegis Solo:

Colours:Black / Gunmetal / Red / Orange / Blue / Green Mod
      Size:H86.4*L41.2*W31.5mm
      Material: Alloy、leather and SLI silicon
      Chipset:AS-100
      Output Power:5W-100w
      Input Voltage:3.2V-4.2V
      Output Voltage:0.1V-8V
      Battery:Single 18650(Not included)
      Resistance Range:0.05Ω-3Ω
      Charger Specification:5V 1.5A
      Output Mode:Power / VPC / TC / TCR / Bypass
      Temperature Control: 100℃~315℃ / 200℉~600℉

Specifications Tengu rda:

Colours:Black / Golden/ Blue/ SS / Rainbow / Gunmetal
      Size:Ø24mm*H33mm
      Intake Mode:Side airflow intake
      Coil:DIY
      E-juice capacity:Drip Filling
      Filling Mode:Top Filling
      Thread:510

First Impressions:

If you’ve read any of my other reviews then you know that I am a fan of Geekvape products. It started when I bought my first Zeus rta and my second and third and so on. This combination did not disappoint me. The solo has the same menu system as the other mods in their line that I have. It’s the same as the Aegis mini and Aegis legend which I do like and find easy to navigate. Three clicks of the fire button and you can scroll through the modes of operation. On the geekvape website they say this about the solo “the Latest AS-100 Chipset that has incredible accuracy and stable power output,brings you a different vaping experience.” This might sound like just another advertising gimmick but I have several mods in use at any one time and have definitely noticed a difference in how the legend and solo vape compared to some other mods. To me it’s a smoother feel. I am very happy with that the decision was made to move the charging port. Honestly the port on the Mini being on the bottom was a real PITA. I watched the puff count and on running at 32w, I have been getting about 350 puffs on a single battery. I’ve been using an LG HE2 battery that’s rated for 3000mah and 20 amps. I don’t run really high output so opted for the higher mah rating. Like other Aegis products I own, it seems to charge the battery fairly quickly. I know some don’t approve of charging in a mod but it has a charging port so I used it. The only batteries I have ever had fail catastrophically were in a two bay battery charger. Never in a mod. That’s a whole other topic. Let me get back on track. The mod does have short circuit protection, 10 second cut off, over heat protection, over current protection, over charging/discharging protection, and anti dry protection. It’s comfortable in the hand and only slightly larger than the Aegis mini. Over all a really good mod in my opinion.

First let me say that I’m not a big rda user. I use one on occasion to test solo flavors for diy but don’t keep one in my daily rotation. I like how Geekvape had the bag that contained the included coils labeled with what kind of coils they are. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen someone on the forum use and like the stock coils that come with a unit and then ask for help figuring out what kind of coils they are. I installed the two stock coils in the Tengu which was really pretty darn easy to build on. I found my happy spot with the Solo set at 32 watts and the airflow control on the Tengu about 1/3 open. With the airflow fully open, I found it unrestricted and about as easy as taking a normal breath. I like a little bit of restriction. It does come with a replacement squonk pin if you’d like to use it on a squonk mod. It has what I would call a honeycomb style airflow and the airflow is adjusted by turning the body to open or close more holes. I usually don’t like short drip tips but did feel like the clear one that came on it was comfortable. I will say however that if you chain vape, the top does get rather hot and I had to sit it down to cool for a while. One other thing I liked is how the center is slanted for dripping so that it splits the liquid to both sides so both sides get liquid.

Final Thoughts:

I found the Solo and Tengu to be a really good combination for the most part. You can tell that much thought went into the design of both. The Solo is a welcome addition to the Aegis line of mods with the smaller size and replaceable battery. The Tengu delivers what I consider to be very good flavor and holds a decent amount of liquid so you don’t have to be constantly dripping. I think the ideal set up would be to use the Tengu with a squonk pin but the Solo isn’t a squonk mod and if it was it would be much larger so to me that would ruin the form factor. I felt like I get good battery life from the Solo. I started with a fully charged battery and have only charged it twice since I got it and have 1066 puffs and it shows half battery life. I usually do a pros and cons section but I’m going to skip that this time. To me the Solo and Tengu are really good products and I have only a couple cons to give. The con I have for the solo is that I have experienced difficulty screwing the battery cap back in when putting a battery in. I feel like the threading could have been done better. The other con I have is for the Tengu and that is that the top gets so hot. I think the inclusion of a longer drip tip would have been nice for those that chain vape. I never had any leaking from the Tengu but did have the cap pull off once when I picked the mod up by the Tengu. I think that Geekvape has come through with another really good mod and rda. There are always improvements that can be made but I have found them to be solid devices and would recommend them. Thank you for taking the time to read my review. If there are any questions, I have made mistakes, or you would like to discuss something then please comment.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Thanks for the review @hittman . I have been thinking about a solo but the battery threading thing has come up a couple times and makes me nervous.

Is the original better in that department? Because I don't mind a slightly larger mod at all, but I do mind stripping my cap threads in 30 days....

Anna

I don't have the original Aegis. I have two minis and a legend. The battery cap thing isn't a huge deal. It just takes a little more effort than what I think it should.

• Useful
    Reactions: stols001

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I don't have any problems with the battery cap, just apply a bit of pressure when screwing it in. My 2 cons are that the screen is a smudge magnet and it could be brighter. On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd give it a strong 9, I'm quite happy with it.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll try applying pressure next time.

Reactions: stols001

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Thanks for the review Hittman. I also have a couple of these Solos and have no problems. On the battery cap, I always(when putting the cap back on) reverse screw it so that it just falls into place and you can feel that when it does, then I just screw it on as usual and have no problems with it threading correctly.

:)

NolaMel

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2012
    New Orleans
    Thanks for the review @hittman . I have been thinking about a solo but the battery threading thing has come up a couple times and makes me nervous.

Is the original better in that department? Because I don't mind a slightly larger mod at all, but I do mind stripping my cap threads in 30 days....

Anna
    Great review, @hittman !

Anna, I started this method with my 100w, and do it with the Solo after seeing a reviewer suggest it... set the battery cap on and turn it counter clockwise a couple turns till you feel it “seat”, then turn clockwise to screw it in. Also works on obstinate tanks ;)

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    You could also clean the threads with naalox. It removes the black residue that builds up like all things do when using anything vape. You can find it at HD or lowes in the electrical dept. Comes in a small tube and a smidge goes a long way. I use it when I clean my mods and it keeps everything threaded as smooth as can be.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    You could also clean the threads with naalox. It removes the black residue that builds up like all things do when using anything vape. You can find it at HD or lowes in the electrical dept. Comes in a small tube and a smidge goes a long way. I use it when I clean my mods and it keeps everything threaded as smooth as can be.

I’ve got two big bottles of it at work. I’ll have to take the solo to work and clean it.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    I’ve got two big bottles of it at work. I’ll have to take the solo to work and clean it.
    I used to use it on my tank connections (the 510 connection-not the tank or coil part itself) before I used mostly top fill now. I also clean the inside of the 510 on a mod(carefully with a q-tip) where you screw the tank into. This keeps all the connections like new.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread