hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Thank you for taking the time to read another one of my reviews. This time I was sent the Aegis Squonk 2 in 1 Bottom-Fed Kit for review by Geekvape. Let me start by saying that I am not a squonk expert. I owned one squonk mod before receiving this for review. I’ve been an RTA user for a long time and just hadn’t jumped in on the squonk bandwagon. I was excited to receive this unit for review simply because I know from past experience the quality that I can expect from Geekvape made products. My unit was marked as a “SAMPLE” so I did not receive a user manual and did not see a torx bit or driver to fit the body screws. It wasn’t on the following list but included was the solid body piece to use the mod without the squonk function and also an extra squonk bottle.

What’s in the box?

• One Aegis Squonk Kit
    • One Tengu RDA
    • One 810 Drip Tip
    • Two Feather Cotton
    • One Spare Parts Bag
    • One 510 Drip Tip Adapter
    • Two N80 Fused Clapton
    • One Gold Plated Positive Pin
    • One GV Triangular Tool
    • One Battery Assist Tool
    • One L Shaped Hex Wrench
    • One USB Cable
    upload_2019-10-13_11-23-57.jpg

Specifications:

• 5 to 100W Output
      • GeekVape AS-100 Chip

• Seven Total Output Modes
      • 0.05 to 3.0 ohm Atomizer Resistance Range
    • Temperature Control Suite
      • Ni200 Nickel Support
      • Titanium Support
      • SS316 Support
      • Kanthal Support
      • POWER Support
      • TCR Mode
      • VPC Mode
    • Durable through terrain
      • Military Standard 810G-516.6 Shockproof System
      • IP67 Water Proof and Dustproof System
    • OLED Display
      • Amp Range
      • Output Power
      • Atomizer Resistance
      • Battery Life Indicator
      • Puff Counter
      • Neatly Displayed
      • Brightness Adjustment
        • Increase Brightness
          • Fire Button + Up Button
        • Decrease Brightness
          • Fire Button + Down Button
      • Button Lock
    • Steel Threaded Battery Door
      • Single High Amperage 18650
        • Sold Separately
    • Zinc, Silicone, and Aluminum Materials
    • Rubber Plugged Micro USB Port
      • 1A Charging and Updating
    • Spring Loaded Gold Plated 510 Connection
      • Powder Coated Stainless Steel
    • Low Voltage/Current/Output Short Circuit/Load/Low Resistance/Overheating
    • Overall Size
      • 86.4mm by 41.2mm by 31.5mm
    • Tengu RDA
      • 24mm Diameter
      • "T" Style Center Post Elevated Side Post Deck
        • Slanted Center for Filling Through Drip Tip
        • Gold Plated "T" Terminals
          • Dual Terminals
          • 3mm by 2mm Per Terminals
            • Coils Held Down by Top Mounted Flathead Screws
        • Elevated Side Terminals
          • Single Terminal Each
          • 3mm by 4mm Per Terminal
            • Coils Held Down By Side Mounted Flathead Screws
        • PEEK Insulator
        • Hidden Squonk Slots on "T" Post
      • Isosceles Trapezoid Honeycomb Style Airflow Design
        • 1mm by 1mm Each Airflow Slot
          • 13 Airflow Slots Total
        • Fully Closeable
          • Notch Assisted Adjustment
      • Gold Plated 510 Contact
        • Squonk 510 Pin Included
      • 810 Drip Tip
        • 10mm Wide Bore PMMA Drip Tip
        • 10mm Wide Bore Delrin Drip Tip

First Impressions: The Aegis Squonk feels as solid as any other mod in the Aegis line. It has all of the same features such as IP67 waterproof rating, shockproof, and dustproof as well as the expected safety features of 10 second cut off, short circuit protection, overcharge and discharge protection, overheat protection, surge protection, and of course anti dry protection for temperature control. It’s powered with a single 18650 and uses the AS-100 chip to fire up to 100 watts. It has a leak-proof squonk system which is due to how the squonk system seats onto the body of the mod. If you look at the picture below you will see the circular hole in the squonk portion of the mod and the circular molded plastic protrusion on the body of the mod that makes a leak-proof seal.

Also, I really like how it is a top fill and you simply slide the cover to expose the silicon gasket that allows you to refill the squonk bottle. If you want to remove the bottle for cleaning or replacement there are two small silicon plugs that you can see in the picture to each side of the fill port that must be removed to access the screw below to remove the bottle. Only the two top screws (one on each side) need to be removed to separate the squonk portion from the main body. These screws require a T6 torx driver to remove. The squonk bottle seems to be made of a high quality and somewhat thick material and is easy to press. I would think that the included bottles would last quite a long time.

I have reviewed the Tengu rda in the past and it has become one of the favorite rda’s that I’ve used. It is easy to build on and provides in my opinion very good flavor. I initially installed the coils that came with the unit for testing but the coils installed were reading around .10 ohm and required the wattage setting to be quite high. After a couple days of using these, I looked at the display while firing the tengu and saw that the amp draw on the display was at 21.6 amps. That’s a little out of my comfort zone for an 18650 personally so I removed the stock coils and installed two ss316 Clapton coils that came out to around .35 ohms which dropped my amp draw a little over half and made me feel more comfortable and still able to get very good performance and flavor. I personally feel like that the included coils should have been a little higher resistance since the mod is a single 18650 unit and many people are using 25 amp batteries. I know the 21.6 is still in the operating range of a 25 amp battery but I personally don’t like to push them that hard. I feel like that the Aegis Squonk could have been made to take a 21700. Either that or perhaps a single coil rda would have been a better fit. That’s not to say that one couldn’t put two 1 ohm coils in the Tengu for a final resistance of .5 ohms. The tank performed well with my two Clapton coils at .35 and I believe the amp draw with my settings was a little over 9.5 amps which is definitely in my comfort range when using a 25 amp battery.

Final Thoughts: Once again, I was not disappointed by another Geekvape kit. I think it’s a great idea that they had by making the mod so that it can be used with or without the squonk attachment. The unit is well built like all of the other Aegis mods that I’ve tried. I know I didn’t really talk about the menu system but it is the same menu as seen on the Aegis mini, solo, and legend so I didn’t really feel like it was necessary to discuss it again. The squonk system on this unit works really well and I experienced no leaking except when I squonked too much liquid into the Tengu and it leaked out the air holes. That was totally my fault due to a lack of experience with squonk mods. The Tengu delivers very good flavor in my opinion but probably wouldn’t recommend using the coils included in the kit if you have something else that’s a little higher in resistance. About the only negative thing I have to say about this kit is how difficult it is to remove the squonk bottle for cleaning. It’s not terrible but does take a little time and you have to be careful to not lose the little plugs and screws. It doesn’t make for a quick flavor change. However with as much liquid as the bottle holds, I wouldn’t think you would be making flavor changes all that often anyway. You will need a T6 torx driver to remove the squonk portion and the two screws on top for bottle removal. I don’t know if the standard kits come with it but my sample did not. Luckily I have two tool boxes full of different tools so coming up with a torx driver was no problem. Once again, thanks for taking the time to read my review and all comments and suggestions are welcome.

For those that use FB, here's a link to their page.

GeekVape

Last edited:

yurs

Oct 19, 2019
    hello, do you know whats the name and the size of the screw on the body so that you can remove the squonk section?
    I was fixing my bottle but lost the screw while putting it all back on, and my box didnt come with spares.
    would also like to know what size allen key fits on the screw, since the one provided wont work anymore after 1 use. it wont screw off the screw on the other side of the mod, seems like the allen key wont catch on anymore.
    thanks!

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    hello, do you know whats the name and the size of the screw on the body so that you can remove the squonk section?
    I was fixing my bottle but lost the screw while putting it all back on, and my box didnt come with spares.
    would also like to know what size allen key fits on the screw, since the one provided wont work anymore after 1 use. it wont screw off the screw on the other side of the mod, seems like the allen key wont catch on anymore.
    thanks!

The head on the screw is not an Allen key. It takes a Torx size t6 driver to fit it. The kit I received for review was marked as a sample so I didn’t get an owners manual and thought that was why I didn’t get a torx driver but had one in my toolbox that I used for the review. I don’t know the actual size of the screw but will ask geekvape and try to find out for you. Usually they don’t answe messages on the weekend but I’ll let you know as soon as I find out something.

Last edited:

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    thanks!

I’m sorry but I haven’t gotten a response from the geekvape official yet. I’ll try going to their website and asking.

yurs

Oct 19, 2019
    I’m sorry but I haven’t gotten a response from the geekvape official yet. I’ll try going to their website and asking.

thanks but i managed to find some screws that fit, changed the screws to all black, now my aegis looks bad ... with all black screws:headbang:
    but yeah it was a torx screw driver that did the trick to take the stuck screw off.

Last edited:
    Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    thanks but i managed to find some screws the fit, changed the screws to all black, now my aegis looks bad ... with all black screws:headbang:
    but yeah it was a torx screw driver that did the trick to take the stuck screw off.

So do you know the actual screw size and dimensions? If you do then It would be nice to post it in case someone else loses a screw. Thanks for letting me know that you got it.

SP013

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 14, 2019
    Warsaw, Poland
    I initially installed the coils that came with the unit for testing but the coils installed were reading around .10 ohm and required the wattage setting to be quite high.

Also received an Aegis squonk kit today for review purposes, it will come on this forum within a week. Funny enough for me it reads .20 ohm with the coils that were included and at 50 watts shows 16 amp.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Mine was marked as a sample on the box. Maybe they are listening and started including different coils with it now. Mine was reading around 21.6 amps with the coils that came with mine.

Also received an Aegis squonk kit today for review purposes, it will come on this forum within a week. Funny enough for me it reads .20 ohm with the coils that were included and at 50 watts shows 16 amp.

SP013

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 14, 2019
    Warsaw, Poland
    Mine was marked as a sample on the box. Maybe they are listening and started including different coils with it now. Mine was reading around 21.6 amps with the coils that came with mine.
    maybe, on the plastic bag on your picture it does show the same specs though :)

What wire would you recommend for the tengu if not wanting to vape at too massive wattage levels, let's say between 40-55 watts? I don't do temperature control so could be kanthal. going to the vape store soon and I myself was thinking about some standard clapton coils.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio

Thanks for the review. My wife was very interested in this mod, but being 18650 only has her second guessing getting one. She doesn't like carrying extra batteries to work, and one 18650 usually doesn't make it one full shift. Hopefully they put out a 21700 compatible version.

Just wanted to clarify something real quick. The 21.6 amps the display shows isn't what is being drawn from the battery. It is what the chip is putting out. Basically, because it is regulated, the battery will be supplying one amp for every three watts, no matter the resistance.

Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    maybe, on the plastic bag on your picture it does show the same specs though :)

What wire would you recommend for the tengu if not wanting to vape at too massive wattage levels, let's say between 40-55 watts? I don't do temperature control so could be kanthal. going to the vape store soon and I myself was thinking about some standard clapton coils.

I used some 26:32 stainless steel 316 clapton wire and my coils came out to .38 ohms installed. At 37 watts, I’m right at 10.1 watts.

• Agree
    Reactions: SP013

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Thanks for the review. My wife was very interested in this mod, but being 18650 only has her second guessing getting one. She doesn't like carrying extra batteries to work, and one 18650 usually doesn't make it one full shift. Hopefully they put out a 21700 compatible version.

Just wanted to clarify something real quick. The 21.6 amps the display shows isn't what is being drawn from the battery. It is what the chip is putting out. Basically, because it is regulated, the battery will be supplying one amp for every three watts, no matter the resistance.

I didn’t know that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread