GeekVape Aegis X Zeus (Sub-Ohm) Leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Information Station

Jul 11, 2020
So it wasn't hitting right and I accidentally unscrewed it from the bottom part rather than taking it off the mod completely (the tank). Leaked a bit and I just dumped out the juice and cleaned out the whole thing. Made sure all of the rings were properly sealed, some are a bit yellow (it's a new coil), washed it out and reset it w/ new juice. Hit it again and it wouldn't hit until it flooded my mouth with juice. Tried cleaning it again, double checking all rings, but it just started burning hard in the middle and flooding the glass chamber w/ smoke.

This makes me think it could be:
coil issue (setting, something happened)
improper valve/ring (tightening issue?)
improper device setting (checked, but who knows)

I'm ordering more coils online now, but don't want to get them and find out it doesn't work still from an easy fix. Any suggestions?

Not much can show on photos, maybe a video.

George1987

Moved On
Jan 26, 2022
I replaced the coil and it still does the same thing. Juice seems to flood and it ends up bubbling juice and then it goes away. It will come back and the cycle goes on. :-x

Is it hot weather where u are?
What kind of juice vg pg percentage u use?
Also do u have this zeus tank long time or its new?
Do u vape the coils in the recomended wattage range?

Last edited:

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    So it wasn't hitting right and I accidentally unscrewed it from the bottom part rather than taking it off the mod completely (the tank). Leaked a bit and I just dumped out the juice and cleaned out the whole thing. Made sure all of the rings were properly sealed, some are a bit yellow (it's a new coil), washed it out and reset it w/ new juice. Hit it again and it wouldn't hit until it flooded my mouth with juice. Tried cleaning it again, double checking all rings, but it just started burning hard in the middle and flooding the glass chamber w/ smoke.

This makes me think it could be:
    coil issue (setting, something happened)
    improper valve/ring (tightening issue?)
    improper device setting (checked, but who knows)

I'm ordering more coils online now, but don't want to get them and find out it doesn't work still from an easy fix. Any suggestions?

Not much can show on photos, maybe a video.
    I believe the Cerberus tank comes with the Aegis X. It's an okay starter tank, but I'd highly suggest not purchasing anymore coils for it. They're of the iM4 variant, no? Aero Mesh? Supermesh? All of these are rather outdated. I'd consider telling you to grab their newer 2021 Z tank or P Sub Ohm, but there have been reports recently of GeekVape changing the materials they're using in their coils and they're not lasting nearly as long as they were when first produced, so I'd say skip on that. If you're planning on sticking to DL vaping, snag yourself a Freemax Fireluke 3 and use/grab an extra pack of 904L X2 coils and you'll never look back.

• Horizontech's Sakerz tank and coils have gotten much praise - their coils are also decently priced being just over $2/coil around many vendors online.
    • I've been pleasantly surprised with Vaporesso's new iTank with their GTi coils. Sitting at about 500 puffs with the 0.2 Ohm GTi coil and no sign of it declining yet.
    • If you want a pod tank style atomizer, go with a Freemax Marvos DTL pod tank - the MS coils are very good in flavor and longevity and I've been pleasantly surprised with no leaking.
    • If you want to try an RDL (restricted direct lung), Innokin's Zenith II is a great option. Their Z-coils are fantastic and have proven time and time again that they last very long. The vape flavor isn't as voluminous as a straight DL tank, but it saves quite a bit in juice and battery consumption if you choose to use their higher Ohm coils.

Is the coil you just replaced from a coil pack or one of the originals that came with the kit?

The fog inside the tank is condensation from cleaning the glass and applying heat to it through the chimney, that isn't much of a concern at all.

If you're getting lots of spitback and juice in your mouth - flip the tank upside down over a sink and gently shake it up and down for about 15-20 seconds. You'll likely get drops of juice coming out of the drip tip. When you're done, wipe off the drip tip and you should be fine to try again.

In regards to the burning, mesh coils generally vape at lower Wattages than conventional wire coils that many of the older coil heads use. I believe iM4's/Aero Mesh/Supermesh came out around the birth of mesh coils, so I'm not sure this applies to them. Regardless, I always use what I call the "80 rule" for coils under 0.6 Ohm resistances where you take the coil resistance, slide the decimal point to right 2 spaces, and then subtract it from 80 to get a decent starting point for testing. A few examples:
    1. If the coil you're using reads at 0.2 Ohm resistance, slide the decimal to the right two spaces; this gives you 20. Subtract 20 from 80 which equals 60. 60ish Watts is probably around the lower Wattage range for that coil.
    2. If the coil you're using reads at 0.5 Ohm resistance, slide the decimal to the right two spaces; this gives you 50. Subtract 50 from 80 which gives you 30. 30ish Watts is a decent starting point to start testing out that coil.
    Being that you're using a mesh coil, you can try starting at 5-10W below that number and test fire in increasing 5W increments until you're in the ballpark of what you like, and then fine tune it.

You may have a bunk coil, and you may be using too much Wattage for its resistance.
    I replaced the coil and it still does the same thing. Juice seems to flood and it ends up bubbling juice and then it goes away. It will come back and the cycle goes on. :-x
    This sounds to me like you're way under the proper Wattage for your coil. As above, when you get flooding or spitback, tip your tank upside over a sink and gently shake it up and down for about 15 seconds. Some juice should drop out. Wipe off the drip tip and you should be fine again. Use the 80 rule I described above to get a decent starting point on where you should fire your coil. Test vape in increasing 5W increments until you're in the ballpark of what you like, and then fine tune it from there.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread