Geekvape Eagle HBC Hex key size for the wire grub screws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Eldo

Nov 12, 2015
DC
Hi guys, I like my newish Geekvape Eagle tank and its HBC (Hand Build coils), but I want to replace the HBC's coil wire and none of my current hex keys fit. (Evidently, GV wants you to replace the cotton, but not the coil wire). The deck has hex key grub screws. Anyone know the exact size? I want to order a specific Allen Key or a specific hex bit, not a whole Wiha kit, etc. Thanks!
Scott

Ramsay Bolton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2013
Beyond the Grave
The smallest sized hex key extension on the Geekvape RTA/tank tool fits. That's
what I use. I'll take a look around for the exact size and report back.

Marking on my orange key thing is 2.5, so M2.5?.

23_2.jpg

Last edited:

Ramsay Bolton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2013
Beyond the Grave
Thanks Ramsay. Hmm, the smallest hex key I have in my current kit is 1.5mm, and that's too big.

To make sure we're on the same page, I'm talking about these two hex screws. You talking about these?:

http://www.3fvape.com/87500-thickbo...learomizer-silver-kanthal-a1-02-ohm-2-pcs.jpg

Yup!

The small key on the Geekvape tool thingy is what I've used to change
coils on my Eagle coils.

Found this info:

"Geek Vape said it is a 1.3mm Allen key (0.051")"

and

"1.27mm , otherwise known as 0.05inch"

Maybe 2.5 refers to the outer dimension of the hex screw head.

These also work, won't arrive quickly but handy as inexpensive spares.

Original Wotofo Multi-functional Screwdriver

Original Wotofo Multi-functional Screwdriver

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Eldo

Ramsay Bolton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2013
Beyond the Grave
Awesome. That's exactly the info I needed. Gee, you're not such a bad guy, Ramsay Bolton...

Caught me on a good day! :D

Awesome. That's exactly the info I needed. Gee, you're not such a bad guy, Ramsay Bolton...

I just ordered an Allen key that size from ebay (US seller) and I'll probably order the tool from China too.

So I assume you're successfully rewrapping the HBCs? Any things I should be careful about?

A couple of Wotofo multi-tools are handy to have around. The Geekvape one is available also, but you have to order a kit.

Griffin 25 RTA Accessory Pack for Griffin RTA

Nothing special to be aware of when re-wicking or replacing the coils except take it easy with the posts.

Reactions: Scott Eldo

Scott Eldo

Nov 12, 2015
DC
Hey Ramsay, I got this knockoff version of the GV tool: Original Wotofo Multi-functional Screwdriver It works great and like $2 (but 2.5 weeks to deliver). Thanks again.
I'm still having trouble getting these HBCs to work right, wick-wise. Lots of dry hitting and burning. GV Griffin, Kanger Subtank RBA... no problems, ever. For the HBC I have like a 25% success rate. When I get it right, the GV Eagle is the best I've ever had. I'm convinced my coils are fine, because sometimes it'll work poorly, then I'll rewick and it's great. I've watched a few Youtube vids and this is my current approach.

Relatively narrow wick, so it easily slides through the coil and barely scratches the inside.
Cut cotton ends at a 45 degree angle away from the base, starting at about 1-2mm outside the circle of the base.
Place the cotton ends right atop the juice holes with tweezers.

Is that basically what you do? Any tips? Btw, leaking is not a problem with my technique above. And I'm using Clapton wire from a 3mm jig. I can post pics if that'd help show what I'm doing.

Scott Eldo

Nov 12, 2015
DC
p.s. made some progress with the HBC wicking. I used thicker cotton, so that it's almost tight when pulled through the coil. I cut the cotton perpendicular to the coil's axis almost at the outer edge line of the airflow cylinder, then puffed the cotton and put the ends by the juice holes with tweezers. Working great. So I think for the HBCs, relatively high diameter cotton wick cut almost as short as possible works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread