hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I’m finally back with a new review after a bit of a break. I do have some interesting stuff coming up in the future but today I’m here to talk about the Geekvape Z Max sub ohm tank that was sent to me by Geekvape for the purpose of providing a fair and honest review. Receiving this tank reminded me of when I reviewed the original Zeus sub ohm tank. It seems like a long time ago but hasn’t been that long actually. Back then I mostly stuck with mid wattage tanks but was able to find a happy place with one of the coils that came with that tank. Since then I’ve had more experience with higher output tanks and am happy to have the chance to provide you with my thoughts on the new Z Max tank. It’s very familiar to me but there are some new coils that I’ll talk about later. For now, let’s see what’s included and take a look at some pictures.

Geek-Vape-Z-Max-Tank-Colors.jpg

WHAT’S IN THE BOX?

1* GeekVape Z Max Tank (4ml)
    1* GeekVape M Series Coil 0.14ohm (60-80W, pre-installed)
    1* GeekVape M Series Coil 0.2ohm (70-85W, spare Coil)
    1* Spare Glass Tube (2ml)
    1* Spare Parts Pack
    1* Spare Parts Pack 1* Drip Tip

IMG-4914.jpg

IMG-4922.jpg

PARAMETERS AND FEATURES:

E-juice Capacity

4ml/2ml

Filling Type

Top filling

Drip Tip

810 drip tip

Coil

GeekVape M 0.14ohm and 0.2ohm coils (included)

Coil Compatibility

GeekVape M series coil

Color

Black, Gunmetal, SS, Gold, Blue, Rainbow

• 1. Leak-proof top airflow system
    • 2. Adjustable airflow
    • 3. High-dynamic top-to-bottom airflow system
    • 4. GeekVape M series coil
    • 5. Zero leakage, 810 drip tip

Geek-Vape-Z-Max-Tank-Introduction.jpg

zmax-album-02.jpg

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

As you can see in the picture, I received the gold Z Max tank. The packaging was the same as what I’m used to with Geekvape samples. There’s an outer sleeve that slides off with the two part box underneath. Once opened the tank is exposed with the accessories underneath the foam insert. Geekvape normally always has nice packaging. My first thought when opening it is it looks very much like the Zeus sub ohm tank I reviewed in the past and it has the Zeus picture on the inside just like the original. I honestly don’t really care for them switching the name of the tanks from Zeus to “Z” tank. In my mind, as long as they look similar and have the picture on the barrel then they will always be Zeus tanks to me.

As I often do, I started with the coil that has a lower wattage range which is the .14 ohm coil which is a single coil mesh rated at 60-80 watts. Another thing that I commonly do is end up running the factory coils lower than the rating simply because the vapor gets too warm for me after a few consecutive puffs. I ended up with the .14 coil running at 52 watts and was fairly comfortable with the vapor temperature at that setting. If I chain vape more than three or four hits then it gets a little warm for me with the airflow set at about 1/3-1/2 open. Next I tried the .2 ohm triple mesh coil and tried it as high as 75 watts with the airflow fully open. This was way too warm for my preference. I ended up dialing it back to 65 watts with the airflow completely open. Even at this setting I was only able to take short puffs. Not only because of the warmth of the vapor but also the density of the vapor. I found the .2 coil to be very flavorful and it brought notes out in the liquid that I had not noticed in other tanks I had been running it in. This tank has way more airflow available than I would ever use normally. I have even gone away from my usual 6 and 12mg liquids that I normally use and have mixed some 3mg just for reviewing the higher output tanks like this one. If I was going to use the .2 coil consistently then I would probably go ahead and mix my liquid down to 1.5-2mg strength.

IMG-4925.jpg

IMG-4926.jpg

IMG-4927.jpg

The Z Max tank is in my opinion very similar to the original Zeus sub ohm tank but is bigger and takes the larger M series coils. When I first saw how big the included coils were it caught me off guard and I was astounded by the size of them. There are probably larger ones out there somewhere but I don’t use many drop in sub ohm coils so they did seem very large to me especially compared to the coils that fit the original Zeus. The tank is still a top airflow tank like previous versions of the Zeus tank and has a capacity of 4ml which is decent. However with these high output coils it doesn’t take too awful long to drain a tank. Especially if you’re a chain vaper. The top cap is the usual quarter turn to take off and put on that we are used to seeing from Geekvape. I did notice that the o ring for the drip tip is inside the top cap rather than on the tip which some folks think is beneficial. I really don’t have a preference either way. I did think it was nice that they included a spare drip tip in the accessories.

IMG-4929.jpg

IMG-4930.jpg

IMG-4931.jpg

Like other Zeus tanks, the Z Max can be fully taken apart and glass removed for cleaning. I don’t know about others but I’m a little impatient when I’m cleaning a tank to load with a new recipe so it’s really nice to be able to clean the tank, dry it, and immediately put it back into service. The base of the tank is 26mm but angles up and is 27mm a little up from the base. The wicking holes in the tank and coils are very large and I have had no issues with dry hits even when chain vaping as much as I could stand.

Geek-Vape-Z-Max-Tank-Leakproof.jpg

Geek-Vape-Z-Max-Tank-M-Series-Coil.jpg

Geek-Vape-Z-Max-Tank-Top-to-bottom-airflow.jpg

zmax-03.gif

zmax-album-03.jpg

zmax-album-01.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Even though I normally don’t run anything much over 45 watts, I very much enjoyed using the Geekvape Max sub ohm tank. The tank seemed very well built which is what I have come to expect from Geekvape. Everything worked like it should in a sub ohm tank. I thought the flavor production was very good and the amount of vapor produced is astounding. It wouldn’t take long to fill a room using this tank and the included coils. If I had to rate the flavor production on this tank I would probably give it an 8.5 out of 10 while using the .2 ohm triple coil. The .14 single coil I would probably give a 7.5 out of 10.

Both the top cap and base were easy to screw/unscrew and the threading was smooth. The fill ports are a pretty good size. I was able to fill with a glass dropper from a 60ml bottle but the tip of the dropper did not fit inside the holes. Most other types of bottle tips would fit fine and be able to fill with no mess.

So, here we are again at the end. Would I recommend the Geekvape Z Max sub ohm tank to you the readers? If you like to run wattages from 50-90 and like big air and big clouds of thick dense vapor then yes I would recommend it.

Thanks goes out to Geekvape and Allison for sending the Z Max sub ohm tank for this review. Also thanks goes out to you the readers for taking the time out of your busy day to read my reviews.

zmax-album-04.jpg

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Great review hit and I agree with your views on flavor and vapor, I will be posting a review of the Z Max also shortly.

Thanks Bob! I always feel like there isn’t enough to talk about on just a tank review. Be sure to let me know when yours posts.

Reactions: bigbob2322

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    That's my feeling, I have quite a few Freemax coils and tanks, think I'll sit tight for awhile.

I don’t blame you. If there wasn’t the PACT requiring adult signature and the upcoming mail ban then I’d consider more new stuff myself.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread