General DIY E-Juice Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indigo-Shade

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2014
Colorado, USA
I've perused the DIY e-liquid forum up to a point, but I think before I really dig in and read / post further I need to ask a few basic questions.

1. I get the impression that many (if not most) of the people in this particular forum are buying base (unflavored) e-juice and adding flavoring to it. Is this correct?

2. How many here are actually buying all the necessary ingredient components and making base (unflavored) e-juice, and THEN adding flavoring?

3. What are these odd recipe abreviations? FW? tfa? CAP?
Example:
5% vanilla ice cream (FW)
6% malted milk (tfa)
2% hot cocoa (CAP)
2% Chocolate fudge brownie (CAP)
.25% Dark Vapure (FA)

4. E-juice flavors from E-Juice Vender or a Cook/Baking Vender? As a cook with 7 years of professional cooking education, I know that there are any number of online vendors (who have nothing to do with e-cigs) who sell high quality food flavorings. How do these compare with the E-juice flavors on the E-Juice vender sites? Is there a difference, really?

5. For those of you who are going making juice from scratch (ie #2 question), one serious question. If one does spill heavy concentrate nicotine juice, how does one clean up the mess? I can't see getting this off a surface with a paper towel and simply throwing the paper towel in a special garbage bag. And on the flip side, no way would I want to get this stuff down any sort of water drain.

6. Finally, right now I do not have a room (or the urge) to make e-juice from scratch, safely. I've handled some toxic substances in the past, but not where I live right now. Hence, I'm going to go the mixing route and see what comes of it. Question, what's the average time (over months) that it took you to find a recipe you would keep as-is and make again.

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
I think most people make their own base. It is not that hard to do and you don't need "dangerous chemicals" to do so. Nicotine can be purchased in a variety of mg's. Some buy 100mg base which caution needs to be used with this. You could also buy 24mg, 36mg or 48mg.

FW= Flavor West TFA= The Flavor Apprentice CAP= Capella FA= Flavor Art The are different brands that can be used and are specified because different percentages are used with each.

I have only mixed one thing so far that was not a keeper. (knocking on wood) If you read the posts there is a LOT of helpful information here as far as percentages, recipes and that sort of thing. I always check out the flavors before mixing to get a good starting point.

Indigo-Shade

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2014
Colorado, USA
I think most people make their own base. It is not that hard to do and you don't need "dangerous chemicals" to do so. Nicotine can be purchased in a variety of mg's. Some buy 100mg base which caution needs to be used with this. You could also buy 24mg, 36mg or 48mg.

Well I figure I would eventually make everything from scratch. I'm just thinking I might want to start simple, the way I am with gear, and mix until I have a better understanding of things. Thanks for the note about the brands...very helpful :)

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
That's a lot of questions. I think that some light reading is in order. So allow me to make a few reading suggestions.

Read my blogs before getting started

E-Cigarette Forum - dannyv45 - Blogs

then read hoosier's blogs.

E-Cigarette Forum - Hoosier - Blogs

then read the stickies at the top of the page.

this will explain a lot of the how's and why's.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
I personally buy my Nic, flavors from Wizard Labs. PG and VG can be bought there as well.

Spilling Nic would be no worse than spilling a bottle of Bleach, Ammonia, Drain Cleaner or a few other things I have in my house. They would all be bad so I'm careful when using those things.

I mix on a glass table with wood floors, have a steady hand, and only do it while I have the time to be able to give it my undivided attention. You can also do it on top of a baking tray with a lip so that if you were to spill something it would stay confined to that tray (easy cleanup)

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread