Not open for further replies.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
I know I'm supposed to be a "PV Master" but ... not!
Is there any guidelines for metering Genesis RBAs ?

With one particular iHyb I have 5 wraps 28g and with all wires even, and minimal top hot spot.
My wick is pretty densely rolled 400, oxidized, fits snug in wick hole...

I'm reading .7 Ohm
Does that sound right?

I prefer a .9 Ohm

Is there any guidelines for targeting a certain resistance i.e 1.0 Ohms?

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida

With one particular iHyb I have 5 wraps 28g and with all wires even, and minimal top hot spot.

I'm reading .7 Ohm
Does that sound right?

I prefer a .9 Ohm

You can meter your wire before making your coil, which will tell you the length of wire needed in order to achieve whatever resistance you're after; and then adding a little extra, to account for connecting to the positive and negative terminals. But ultimately, it's something that just comes with experience. Eventually, an experienced builder will be able to come pretty close to their desired resistance, taking into consideration the wire gauge, diameter of the wick, and the spacing between coil wraps.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com

I'm reading .7 Ohm
Does that sound right?

I prefer a .9 Ohm

yeah, that sounds a tad low. If your wick were ~1/8" wide, you might expect to see at least .8Ω. Maybe you got a skinny wick there, Ukeman. ;)

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
great tip Rule... thanks.. i remember Imeo doing that on a vid
You can meter your wire before making your coil, which will tell you the length of wire needed in order to achieve whatever resistance you're after; and then adding a little extra, to account for connecting to the positive and negative terminals. But ultimately, it's something that just comes with experience. Eventually, an experienced builder will be able to come pretty close to their desired resistance, taking into consideration the wire gauge, diameter of the wick, and the spacing between coil wraps.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
metering is your best bet, now being that i use ceramic and especially the 1/8 size(which can vary slightly) usually i do a 2/3 wrap which comes in at .07Ω, for me it seems like on a 1/8 wick each turn equals a .2 change, so when i do a 3/4 i usually get somewhere in the .09 range. this also changes with the distance of your particular negative screw location if your checking resistance between neg& pos.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
metering is your best bet, now being that i use ceramic and especially the 1/8 size(which can vary slightly) usually i do a 2/3 wrap which comes in at .07Ω, for me it seems like on a 1/8 wick each turn equals a .2 change, so when i do a 3/4 i usually get somewhere in the .09 range. this also changes with the distance of your particular negative screw location if your checking resistance between neg& pos.

fwiw it was talked about in pdib's thread that long legs (distance to neg post, pos post) are not a problem.... what about equidistance between the two...

I would assume measuring wire before putting on would include the legs to the posts...

I'm getting .5 now i meter it, and the vape is pretty decent, not harsh or hot... its a thick wick and lots of heat sink effect.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
whoa switchin up the avatars pdib!

heheh i tried to get a 1.2 coil on my Stratus 19mm to put on a DNA20 box i got today, but it came in at .8 (yay!) no hot spots (30g, 4 wraps, just guessing) but hey, no hot spots so i kept it on my P+... and yah enjoying the heck out of it...haha

I'll try metering some length for another Gen atty for the dna... I want to hit it at 1.2 Ohms and 17 watts as someone suggested (the dna wont do sub 1.0)... just adding to the thread here...

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
good grief... i tried to meter some length of 30g by laying it flat and touching the neg pin of my dmm to one spot and then the pos pin to another spot... dang the meter just kept jumping all the hell over the place, like it wouldn't meter a reading... at first.

then i really stabilized it and seems like 1 Ohm is like 10mm... thats tiny, and it seems to me that i'd need at least 3 or 4mm for the legs to each post... lol.

i don't know what the hell i'm doing obviously.

EDIT:
hell i set the dna20 to 14 watts and put the stratus 19 on and the LED showed .6 Ohms! so much for my meter reading skills...
when i fired it showed 3.4v (the ohm calculator said it was 2.9v and 5amps)....

anyway this dna20 it Trick! great vape and i'm metering as i go... i think i like it! OOOPS...

Problem is, DNA20 specs say 1.0 Ohms is minimum it should do... wonder why? SO i took it off and put Stratus back on the P+....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread