Getting less flavor and vapor from a mech mod compared to my MVP2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traijan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2014
USA
Hi,

So, for some reason, I wanted to get into mech mods, so I bought a Stingray X (clone) that the store owner said will hit really hard. I purchased a MXJO and a Vamped 18650 batteries.

I fully charge up the batteries and give them a go in the stingray x with my AeroTank mega and I'm totally underwhelmed with both the flavor and vapor output.

I put the AeroTank mega back on my MVP2 and set it to 5 volts and the difference is amazing, absolutely amazing. Full "ice granite" (pomegranite and mint or pomegranite and menthol) flavor and the vapor cloud while not anything to be a cloud chaser is more than ample to be satisfying to me.

This gets me thinking that I'm doing something wrong, or the stingray x clone that I'm using and or batteries are simply not compatible to be used with an AeroTank mega tank to get the same good flavor and vapor that I get out of this tank on my MVP2 at 5v.

Is there something else that I'm not taking into consideration here?

I've tried my RSST on the stingray x with a home built coil with a 1.0Ohm and it too is underwhelming as far as vapor and flavor production. And I took the RSST into the local B&M store to have them rebuild the coil in case my Ohm's are off or I'm somehow not doing it right and then tried it when I got home with the mech mod and again, less flavor and less vapor production although he built it to be 1.2Ohm and said he did it so that I could use it on either my MVP2 or the Stingray X.

I don't want to get into sum Ohming or anything like that, but I do like the feel of the stingray x in my hands compared to what now feels quite bulky in the MVP2, but I'd like to be getting at least (if not better) flavor and cloud production when using the mech mod.

I'm feeling a bit silly now having bought a mech mod and not able to get better flavor and vapor production out of it (not sure how i'm going to tell the wife why I'm back to using the MVP2) like so many people suggested I would get out of a mech mod compared to the MVP2.

Perhaps somebody has some suggestions on how to improve the flavor and vapor output using the Stingray X with either my Nautilus, AeroTank mega, or the RSST.

Thanks for your help, this forum has been a wealth of information thus far.

James Wilson

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2014
Lebanon, Indiana, United States
I am still new to vaping myself. But I have wondered if perhaps all the mechs required higher wattage to vape then the smaller ones. I have no idea if that is actually the case though. Especially since your using the same tank for both. But that's the best guess I can think of. Could be you need a different tank with a mech. I hope someone who actually knows what they are talking about can come in here and help you. All I can do is guess when it comes to this since I am about as clueless as you are. Sorry this had to happen though. I'd be frustrated myself.

Traijan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2014
USA
According to the MVP2, the resistance of the coil is anywhere from 1.9 to 2.1. It seems to fluctuate quite a bit at times, but for the past couple hours now it's been showing 2.1 on the AeroTank mega's coil.

Well then what you said would explain why I get more flavor and vapor if it's only vaping at 9 watts on a 2 Ohm coil, I'm guessing that extra 2 watts makes a big difference and maybe mech mods simply aren't for me at this time. Perhaps later on if I decide that I wish to start building < 1.0 Ohm coils for the mech mod then maybe it will come into play and be worthwhile. But maybe for now I should just keep an eye out for a vv/vw tube pv.

I kind of feel like Lesson learned I suppose, don't fall into the hype of how (insert product name here) is going to be so much better than what you're currently using. Hell, even the local (all of them really) B&M stores said that I really need to move over to mech mods if I want to get more flavor and vapor production, even though those same stores sell mech mod clones less expensive than any of their vv devices.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Although you can get a "decent vape" using standard resistance coils on a mech, a mech truly shines with sub-ohm coils. Mechs bypass the protection circuitry of regulated mods so that you can use sub-ohm coils.

I like using both, they each have their place in my arsonal of vape gear. If you know what you are doing with the upper range of sub ohm coils, you'll get better flavor and more vapor and still have a cool vape using a RBA or RTA. I use 0.6 ohms on my rebuildable drippers and 1.4 ohms on my Kayfun.

I still like using a regulated mod so that I can adjust the voltage to the flavor I'm vaping on at the moment, and also like the consistant voltage output a regulated mod provides. No battery dropoff like a mechanical has. Plus, there something to be said for the protection circuitry of a regulated mod to avoid over discharging a battery or shorting a battery from a bad atomizer. A mech will allow over-discharging a battery, allow auto-firing the fire button, and will short the battery if there's a short in the coil.

Last edited:

samcm010

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2013
Ashburn Virginia USA
The only real way to get the same vape out of that nautilus you are getting from the MVP2 is to lower the resistance on your coils in the nautilus. I suspect you are not interested in re building but they do make lower resistance coils now for the nautilus. They would increase the performance not sure of the exact math but the mech will always a best put out 4.2v less the voltage drop of the mech you are using. Unless you really like the look and feel of a mech you are probably better served by a VV/VW device. The MVP2 is a great device so why change what is working?

Traijan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2014
USA
Stupidity maybe. Shiny'itus maybe. Or falling into the hype train from what I've read and been told personally how a mech mod would be better for me and give me the real flavor and vapor that I desired. Plus I just fell in love with the feel of the tube style mod in my hand, just felt more comfortable than the square MVP2 after I got around to trying one out.

I don't mind rebuilding the coil and wick on my RSST but I found it to be a bit of a PIA to rebuild our Protank 2 coils, although I can do it and will in a pinch (like if we run out at midnight and the stores are all closed and no good coils to be had at home), but I still feel I need to learn a lot lot more before I try to do any < 1.0 Ohm coil building plus I need to pick up a very reliable resistance tester as the MVP2 is way too flakey when it comes to showing me the resitance of the coils. There are some tanks I put on it and it shows me that the coil is like 3.9Ohm, then I take a couple drags from it and check it again and now it will tell me that they're 2.0 or 1.8 etc..

Thanks for the replies.

James Wilson

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2014
Lebanon, Indiana, United States
Stupidity maybe. Shiny'itus maybe. Or falling into the hype train from what I've read and been told personally how a mech mod would be better for me and give me the real flavor and vapor that I desired. Plus I just fell in love with the feel of the tube style mod in my hand, just felt more comfortable than the square MVP2 after I got around to trying one out.

I don't mind rebuilding the coil and wick on my RSST but I found it to be a bit of a PIA to rebuild our Protank 2 coils, although I can do it and will in a pinch (like if we run out at midnight and the stores are all closed and no good coils to be had at home), but I still feel I need to learn a lot lot more before I try to do any < 1.0 Ohm coil building.

Thanks for the replies.

Perhaps the box types aren't for you. I have an Itaste vv. I love the feel of it in my hand and it isn't near as bulky at the mvp2. Don't get me wrong I plan on getting one to add to my vaping arsenal. But I doubt it would ever be as comfortable for me to hold as my Itaste vv. I do got a smaller tank then you appear to have though. I got the Kanger Aerotank Mini. I love it though.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
A mechanical mod is just a battery holder with a switch and top connector. The only way to affect the vapor is by making adjustment in the coil (resistance & air flow).

You can do the same with a regulated mod, but you can also change the electrical power output to the coil with VV/VW. Plus you get the advantage of power regulation to be consistant regardless of the battery voltage.

I prefer the feel of a tube mod in my hand over a box shape. It also fits easier in a pocket.

Last edited:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
You're forgetting the power part of the equation. If you hit a 2ohm coil with 5v, it's going to hit harder than if you put that same 2ohm coil on a mech running a single 18650 battery that starts from a fresh charge at 4.2v. A mech is just an unregulated circuit, it allows you to take your coils below the limits of regulated devices.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I'm vaping a Rosev2 with a 1.3ohm coil on my stingray and its putting out some decent clouds.

If you want to vape your at mega on it, try the 1.5ohm or maybe the 1.2ohm kanger coils. P = E^2 / r where E is voltage and r is resistance. E will be 4.2 with a fresh battery not counting voltage drop. Then you can compare your power settings with the mvp.

doctadrea

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Maui
Simple. The mech is putting out 4.2volts on a fully charged battery, and it only goes down from there. If you have the MVP set for 5volts, using the same atomizer, you'll be getting a higher watt vape.
With a VV/VW mod, you mostly control the power by changing the volts pushed out by the battery. With a mech mod, you control the power by using an atomizer with higher or lower ohms.

samcm010

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2013
Ashburn Virginia USA

I don't mind rebuilding the coil and wick on my RSST but I found it to be a bit of a PIA to rebuild our Protank 2 coils, although I can do it and will in a pinch (like if we run out at midnight and the stores are all closed and no good coils to be had at home), but I still feel I need to learn a lot lot more before I try to do any < 1.0 Ohm coil building plus I need to pick up a very reliable resistance tester as the MVP2 is way too flakey when it comes to showing me the resitance of the coils. There are some tanks I put on it and it shows me that the coil is like 3.9Ohm, then I take a couple drags from it and check it again and now it will tell me that they're 2.0 or 1.8 etc..

Thanks for the replies.
Not Stupid I cannot tell you how many vape things I have tried many of which have not suited me. I really do not think you have to sub ohm to get amazing performance out of a mech. I vape 1.2 ohms in all my KFL's and .9-1.0 ohms in my RDA's. It is smart you are looking for a resistance tester before really diving into re building many stores have them now. Back when I first rebuilt finding a tester was like finding a Warpari. I learned using a 2 wire electricians Meter thing ( not sure what it is called)

searchengine

Verified Member
Aug 26, 2014
Scotland
I have been happily using an IPV2, but recently wanted the experience of using an un-regulated mod... I got a Stingray X mod, and tried my Sigelei Tai Ji rda on it and it was spot on (excellent flavour and vapour). Dual Coils 0.8 ohms.... Next I ran my GG Tilemahos rta on it, and it was awful, no flavour, no vapour Single Coil 1.5 ohms... so rebuilt coil to 0.5 ohms and it was awful, burnt flavour and tons of vapour.... Rebuilt coil again, this time at 1.1 ohms, and got perfect flavour and vapour.

Lesson learned, I could vary the wattage on my IPV2 to suit pretty much the ohms of any coil, but un-regulated mechanical mod needs your coils to match its battery output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread