Getting No Flavor From Crown 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eising

Apr 11, 2015
Hey all!

I've been using a UWELL Crown 3 for about a year or so now, but I'm starting to get fed up with the lack of flavor I'm getting from mine. I know this tank is supposed to get great flavor, but I'm not really getting that. I get decent flavor for maybe the first day of a new coil or a full tank, and that's about it.

I've tried the .25 coils at 90-100W and the .5 coils at 85-90W and haven't noticed any difference in flavor. On installing a new coil I plug it in and let it sit with a full tank of juice for 10-20 minutes. I've checked that the o-rings are all in place and don't seem to be damaged. I've tried 80 VG, 60 VG, 50 VG.

I've done some reading and apparently vaporlock is a concern? I've never had to deal with this with my previous RDA, so how likely is it that vaporlock is causing my lack of flavor? How do I avoid it and fix it when it occurs with this tank specifically?

I really like this tank and I'd like to get it performing as well I hear it should, but I'm starting to consider other tanks if I can't get any better flavor out of the Crown 3.

Thanks for the help!

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I use and always recommend the original Uwell Crown tank. Original Uwell Crown Clearomizer Tank

I've not used the Crown 3 tank or coils. I read how you primed your coils and perhaps you could do a better job. Here is a video on how to prime and break in new coils for the original Crown tank. The principles shown should be the same for the Crown 3. Hope this helps.

Eising

Apr 11, 2015
I use and always recommend the original Uwell Crown tank. Original Uwell Crown Clearomizer Tank

I've not used the Crown 3 tank or coils. I read how you primed your coils and perhaps you could do a better job. Here is a video on how to prime and break in new coils for the original Crown tank. The principles shown should be the same for the Crown 3. Hope this helps.

Thank you for this! I will give this a try this afternoon with a new coil and report back.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Thank you for this! I will give this a try this afternoon with a new coil and report back.
I didn't bother "upgrading" to the newer versions of the Crown because I loved the results I got with the original. Why fix what isn't broken? :) I'm a lower wattage vaper; 30 watts is my sweet spot. The Crown 3 coils all recommend wattages way above 30 watts, so I imagine it wouldn't suit my style of vaping.

Crown 3 coils:
Recommended Wattage (0.2 Ohms): 80W – 90W
Recommended Wattage (0.5 Ohms): 70W – 80W​

With the original Crown, it has a wider variety and wattage range of coils, so the original Crown is more adaptable to different styles than the Crown 3.

Original Crown coils:
  • 1.2 ohm Single Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Coil - 10 to 30W
  • 0.5 ohm Dual Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 30 to 80W
  • 0.25 ohm Dual Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 80 to 120W
  • 0.15 ohm Dual Ni200 Nickel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 400 to 600 Degrees Fahrenheit (temp control only)

Last edited:
  • Useful

Eising

Apr 11, 2015
I didn't bother "upgrading" to the newer versions of the Crown because I loved the results I got with the original. Why fix what isn't broken? :) I'm a lower wattage vaper; 30 watts is my sweet spot. The Crown 3 coils all recommend wattages way above 30 watts, so I imagine it wouldn't suit my style of vaping.

Crown 3 coils:
Recommended Wattage (0.2 Ohms): 80W – 90W
Recommended Wattage (0.5 Ohms): 70W – 80W​

With the original Crown, it has a wider variety and wattage range of coils, so the original Crown is more adaptable to different styles than the Crown 3.

Original Crown coils:
  • 1.2 ohm Single Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Coil - 10 to 30W
  • 0.5 ohm Dual Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 30 to 80W
  • 0.25 ohm Dual Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 80 to 120W
  • 0.15 ohm Dual Ni200 Nickel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 400 to 600 Degrees Fahrenheit (temp control only)

I tried the priming process yesterday and it seemed to be going well, until today, where I'm now experiencing dry hits. I dripped on the interior cotton until I could see the exterior on all sides was wet, put it in the tank and let it sit for about 10 minutes before I slowly stepped the wattage up at 5W increments from 30W to 85W.

Maybe I just got a bad coil? I'm going to try the 0.4 ohm coils if my local shop carries them. Hopefully that will change something.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Maybe I just got a bad coil? I'm going to try the 0.4 ohm coils if my local shop carries them. Hopefully that will change something.
0.5 ohm coils?

Are you sure they are dry hits, or is the vapor just harsh or too warm? Believe me, there's a huge difference. Perhaps you're like me and not a high wattage vaper.

dry-hit-meme.jpg

It's possible its a bad coil. Since I've not used the Crown 3 or its coils, I can't personally speak on their quality or consistancy. I know the Crown 3 had mixed reviews. Using the original Crown for over 3 years I can personally say I've never received a bad coil. Maybe I've been lucky.

I hope you're able to figure this out and enjoy your Crown 3.

Last edited:
  • Useful

Eising

Apr 11, 2015
0.5 ohm coils?

Are you sure they are dry hits, or is the vapor just harsh or too warm? Believe me, there's a huge difference. Perhaps you're like me and not a high wattage vaper.

dry-hit-meme.jpg

It's possible its a bad coil. Since I've not used the Crown 3 or its coils, I can't personally speak on their quality or consistancy. I know the Crown 3 had mixed reviews. Using the original Crown for over 3 years I can personally say I've never received a bad coil. Maybe I've been lucky.

I hope you're able to figure this out and enjoy your Crown 3.

It tasted mildly of that burning cotton taste. It wasn't a full on burn, but it was noticeably different from the flavor of the juice.

Is your Crown 1 your favorite tank?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Is your Crown 1 your favorite tank?
Absolutely. I've never experienced any negative issues with mine. I've got 3 standard (4ml) and 2 mini's (2ml). Each has a different flavor in them. Flavor is arguably comparable to a drip atomizer.

I've used only a couple other tanks in the last 3 years. Tanks that came with a starter setup sent to me by manufacturers for review (Geekvape Aegis Legend and VooPoo Mojo). Still prefer the original Crowns.

I read the link to Reddit about the vapor lock issue. I wasn't aware of it because I never visit Reddit. Maybe this is why the Crown 3 had mixed reviews.

Last edited:

Eising

Apr 11, 2015
Absolutely. I've never experienced any negative issues with mine. I've got 3 standard (4ml) and 2 mini's (2ml). Each has a different flavor in them. Flavor is comparable to a drip atomizer.

I've used only a couple other tanks in the last 3 years. Tanks that came with a starter setup sent to me by manufacturers for review (Geekvape and VooPoo). Still prefer the original Crowns.

I'll look into that if I can't get the Crown 3 to work!

Eising

Apr 11, 2015
To update, I've tried the suggestions in the reddit thread I linked earlier and they helped a little, but still not that great. Starting to wonder if I just have some bad coils.
My local B&M didnt have the 0.4 kanthal coils, so I'm going to have to order those.

I also tried contacting Uwell and they told me that the vacuumlock issue was caused by coils having their cotton too tight, and not the tank. Not sure how others convinced them to replace the tank instead.

Going to keep trying

• Optimistic

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well if I overstuff my RTA coils I get "vapor lock" in the sense that I get inconsistent wicking due to it being hard to have liquid flow freely through the wick to where it needs to get to in the coil. So, the explanation makes sense to me, I assume you've poked these coils with a needle to loosen the cotton or whatnot. It's a not remarkable problem to SOME coils although I kind of haven't heard of it in the Crown 3. So are they going tor replace your coils for you since they believe it's not the tank?

Airflow matters, too. Loosen your airflow if you haven't. Too little air and too much wattage or too long pulls can cause this kind of thing to happen as well. IDK.

Anna

Eising

Apr 11, 2015
Well if I overstuff my RTA coils I get "vapor lock" in the sense that I get inconsistent wicking due to it being hard to have liquid flow freely through the wick to where it needs to get to in the coil. So, the explanation makes sense to me, I assume you've poked these coils with a needle to loosen the cotton or whatnot. It's a not remarkable problem to SOME coils although I kind of haven't heard of it in the Crown 3. So are they going tor replace your coils for you since they believe it's not the tank?

Airflow matters, too. Loosen your airflow if you haven't. Too little air and too much wattage or too long pulls can cause this kind of thing to happen as well. IDK.

Anna

That seems to be the general direction of their emails. I did try loosening the cotton lightly with a needle, particularly on the fully exposed juice channel of the coil (the center chimney has three gaps and the coil has three juice channel gaps, but the gaps in the chimney are spaced in such a way that only one of the coils juice channels are fully exposed to the tank).

I keep the airflow fully open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread