Getting our toes wet and anxious for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damij

Jul 22, 2013
Madisonville, KY
I have had great luck with the Vision Vivi Nova's and the Kanger Protank. Just be sure to get a little lower resistance like 1.8ish-2.0 ohm area and you should be good.

I like switching between the Protank and the Vivi Nova's. I also have some Vapeonly BCC tanks that do decent, though one of them broke rather quickly on me.

The Vivi Nova has a warmer vapor since it's a top coil. The Protank has a very loose draw on it and can have a metallic taste if you don't clean it out before you use it.

There are also cartomizers and a ton of other options out there for you. Just make a list of the things you would like to experience with vaping and then try to check them off that list. Eventually you will find the perfect vaping experience for you :D

Damij

Jul 22, 2013
Madisonville, KY
Mind you we know it's very different depending on your preferences, but we're hoping for something that is a good next step, maybe even two types, one that perhaps relaxes on your coffee table till you're in for the night, and the 'daily driver' that you bring to work, out for drinks, etc.

I don't have a twist like you said but I do have a 650mah ego c passthrough battery that tends to go in my pocket when I head out the door. I have a vamo that sits on my coffee table a majority of the time. I have two 2200mah IMR 18650 batteries and a couple IMR 18350's if I want to take it out with me in "short mode" when I'm not feeling like taking my beat up passthrough battery. Granted I could take the vamo out with me in regular mode but it's a little too big for me to be comfortable keeping it in my pocket on tight pants day! lol

CheekyChica

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Las Vegas Nevada
www.youtube.com
Welcome Tom & Katie!
Congrats on your e-cig journey! Whatever you do, just don't get frustrated with e-cigs and go back to analogs full-time. Alot of things pertaning to e-cigs can be confusing like juices, attys, cartos, clearos, 510 threads, drip tips, tanks, batteries, ohms, vv, vw, PG, VG th, spinners, rebuildables, mechanicals, APV, pass-throughs....on and on! It can be confusing and frustrating, but get informed, do your research, ask whatever you need to find what works best for ya'll! Best of luck to the both of ya'll! :toast:

peakcomm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2013
Somewhere in the US in my RV
Congrats, Tom & Katie, on your success to date ... and welcome!

As for flavors, Tom, the two non-fruity juices that "did it" for me in the early days were MBV's Caramel Coffee and Cinnamon Roll. I tried a couple recommended tobacco-like flavors, including RY4 and 555, but they just didn't satisfy. They weren't enough like my familiar smokes to replace them, but they were just tobacco-like enough to make me miss it.

For me to make the switch comfortably, I needed something I liked that didn't try to be tobacco. These two flavors gave me distinct alternatives that I could enjoy even as a noob, with good strong, familiar aromas and rich taste. I got just enough sweetness to be pleasant but not so much that they were cloying. That I enjoyed a coffee flavor in particular surprised me, because I don't drink coffee, but I've always liked the smell of a fresh brew and the juice gave me that big, bold aroma. Cinnamon Roll was much the same effect -- after all, bakeries have been using that wonderful smell to draw customers for years.

And yes, definitely try a stronger nic solution. I started at 24mg and I'm not sure I could have made it without that punch. At six months in, I'm now able to vape 12-18 most of the time, but I still pull out that 24 when the stress builds.

mcol

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2013
Missouri
Welcome, congrats and good luck! You are in good hands but I just wanted to add don't be so wrapped up in quitting the stinkies- it will just happen, you won't want them anymore. I started out (LOL) just vaping e-cigs on Thursdays, after a couple of weeks I was only vaping on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Soon I added more days cuz I wanted to. And guess what? I don't even know my quit date. I think it was in March- snicker. Be aware your taste buds will change as weeks pass, and what you might like in juice this week you might not next week. See ya around and have fun!! :)

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on finding some really good initial set-ups! A couple of things I recommend: Pbusardo reviews, He is great! You will find very helpful reviews on all aspects of vaping. Look for him at tasteyourjuice.com.

Don't limit yourself to just one type of liquid delivery system, what works for one may not work for all. You have gotten some really great advice here, just try a bunch of different things and eventually you will find what works for you! I recommend even a simple Smok Tech 2 ohm cartomizer, they are super easy and one doesn't have to worry about leaking. If you insist on a tank, The Iclear 16 is about the only one I can tolerate. Carto tanks work very well too!

Don't chase a cigarette flavor, its very hard to replicate burning tobacco. I WILL recommend Ahlusion e-liquids. Both their aromatic and non-aromatic tobacco are some of the best one can get!

As for a step up from the twists, An INNOKIN SVD is a great starter APV. I have several different personal vaporizers, and I find myself with the SVD in my hand an awful lot! Good luck to both of you on your journey! We are always here for support!

SASmith

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
Abbotsford, B.C. Canada
Thanks so much so far everyone, we see people mentioning it being a journey very often, and the truth in that statement is in every way the truth. I suppose you're more than right in saying that it won't ever be 'the same' but with a bit of trial, and time, becomes something so much more enjoyable - while being so much better for you too!

How about a few examples of personal fan favorite juices that after one quick vape made you say "oh yes!"?

Iceman - We'll scope out Baditude's blog this evening, thanks for the recommendation.

Frankenmizer - Your way of typing reminds me of Bob Alexander's antics in his videos. Cheers!

SASmith - We've read/seen some great reviews of the Kanger products, think perhaps I should trial a protank or something similar?

Elconquistador - If I recall correctly, will that lower Ohm result in a larger vape?

Baditude - Thanks for the link on attachments, we'll have a gander this evening, after perusing your blog that is!

Choc_adict - Would you think what i said to Elconquistador holds true?

Everyone thus far in general, thanks so much for the quick responses, we appreciate it!

I personally don't own a protank, but it gets rave reviews, I do have the Evod & MT3 which are also great, they are all bottom coil , which produces a cooler vape. I really prefer a warmer vape or a top coil , which is why I prefer my Kanger T2's and Viva Nova's.

My "oh yes" juice is called "Canadian Blend" by Maple Leaf Vapes, it's a smooth tobacco with a hint of maple and not too sweet

Donovan69

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
SAS I got my pro tank from the old guy at the flea market. I was using it for a cinnamon juice as it is glass instead of PC. It vaped great and had a pretty open draw. Some people don't like that. I love it mind you my igo-L has two 7/64 air holes in it!! Thinking about getting an Abby vapemeet going what do ya think??

glowplug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2013
Lakewood, CO USA
Welcome to the Vonderful Vorld of Vaping, Tom and Katie. There are so many great people here that will help with anything you need. Well, maybe they won't buy your juice and equipment for you, but that seems to be the only thing you can't get here!

I started vaping to replace the cigarettes that were making me and my truck smell like an overflowing, nasty ashtray filled with butts and stale water. I also started with the hope that I would like it enough to save some money and replace a few packs a week of the cigarettes. I had about 1.5 packs in the truck and another partial in my purse. I vaped and smoked until they were all gone (about a week) and just haven't looked back (for the most part).

I must admit to one "slip" when I smoked a stinkie. I was in a very difficult situation and the guy that was trying to help me stuck his head in the window of my truck with a cigarette in his hand. Without thinking, I asked if he could spare one and, behold and lo, I was smoking it. Tasted good. It was my old brand. Finished it and felt a bit unsatisfied until I grabbed my PV and started vaping. That was the last one!

Do what you need to do. Be gentle with yourself. Smoking is way more than nicotine. All the other chemicals in smoke are addictive and you will miss them for a bit. It just gets easier and easier. Like others have said, one day you will realize that you haven't smoked in days, weeks or months. It's pretty cool when that happens.

SASmith

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
Abbotsford, B.C. Canada
SAS I got my pro tank from the old guy at the flea market. I was using it for a cinnamon juice as it is glass instead of PC. It vaped great and had a pretty open draw. Some people don't like that. I love it mind you my igo-L has two 7/64 air holes in it!! Thinking about getting an Abby vapemeet going what do ya think??

Gee I haven't been to the swap meet in quite a while, I may have to go if they are selling vape stuff. I used to go all the time for the farm fresh fruits and vegetables. An Abby vape meet would be great, now to find those Abby Vapers, I never see any out and about.

ShariR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Welcome to ECF. I have a similar setup to you. I have a Vision Spinner and I use the Evod, which is a bottom coil device. I also do what is called dripping, which I find makes it easier to taste new flavors and I enjoy the hands on busyness of it. You will find a blogpost by Ocelot called Drip, Drip, Drip in the Blog section of ECF. And you can do it pretty cheap and easy, it is hands on though.

I started out with tobaccos and lots of small fruity and bakery type sample sizes in 18mg and 12mg. I was a 2 pack a day smoker. I immediately found that I needed the 24mg to stop the cravings I was having for the cigarettes. Also, I bought a juice that was supposed to be just like Marlboro Reds. It was. And the ashy taste I thought I wanted was there. I hate it. But if I add some vanilla or another flavor it kills the ashy taste and I can vape it. Then I was given some NiteLiteVapors Gold and I immediately fell in love with it. The first time I vaped it I knew I loved it. I have now been vaping it for 10 days at the 24mg and have not had a cigarette or wanted one that bad.

I find I do not like the fruity or candy or bakery vapes that much. I enjoy a tobacco base with some sweet in it. My tastes will probably change. The big thing is get the nic level right. If it is too low, you will not beat those cravings. I still craved and smoked until I upped it to 24mg. I do vape 18mg or 12mg at night so I can sleep.

You will do fine. I smoked for 45 years and thought I could never quit. I am always amazed at how I put down the cigarettes after a week of finding the right nic level and a juice I could vape all day.

You will do it in your own time. I read about all kinds of people who start on this journey not intending to quit, just cut down, and a few weeks or months down the road they realize they no longer are smoking or want to. Just vape and let it happen.

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
Welcome into the fold Tom and Katie. Congratulations on making the very wise decision to keep an open mind and give vaping an opportunity to save you.

I want to offer a few pennies...

- Do not put undue pressure on yourself to stop stop stop now now now. It will come in time. I failed at quitting many times before I (re)discovered vaping, largely because I took an all-or-nothing approach to it. With vaping I decided to have a different outlook on it. Either it was gonna work or it wasn't btu I was going to give it a fair chance at saving me from tobacco. When I wanted to smoke I smoked, every time. When I wanted to smoke I did a little vaping first, every time. Within a week I had almost completely stopped smoking and by the end of the third week I was absolutely repulsed by the taste of my American Spirit Yellow's. It was surreal, and awesome. The last few I lit up I took no more than two drags from before smashing them out as I laughed hysterically, it just felt so damn good to be FREE!!!

- You have been reading so you know.. you will experience changes and some of them may be alarming. Don't dismiss what could be a serious health issue as a side effect of vaping or quitting smoke. On the other hand do keep in mind you will be experiencing some level of withdrawal and that can be quite uncomfortable. Various withdrawal symptoms can last months for some people, and others experience none at all.

- DRINK PLENTY OF WATER. It cannot be overstated. Sincerely. Drink it whether you are thirsty or not. Seriously.

- Enjoy your eGo batteries as long as you can. Don't spend a lot of money trying to save money. Do your research, save your pennies if you need to, invest in quality gear. Baditude hits the nail on the head every time with: "Buy once - cry once - regret .. never" (sorry if I messed it up, Bad, I think that's how it goes:p). A LOT of people, myself included, spend a little bit of money on this or that so many times that by the time they find their best vape they've spent many times what it would have cost to invest in the good schtuff from the beginning.

Now.. my very biased opinion about what you two should set your sights on? REO. Period.

Good fortune in your journey. May the vapor gods smile upon you. You have chosen well the path that leads you away from the backstabbing best friend we all know as "my smokes". It won't be long before you can't believe you actually used to miss them, much less put them in your face and set them on fire!!

I personally don't own a protank, but it gets rave reviews, I do have the Evod & MT3 which are also great, they are all bottom coil , which produces a cooler vape. I really prefer a warmer vape or a top coil , which is why I prefer my Kanger T2's and Viva Nova's.

My "oh yes" juice is called "Canadian Blend" by Maple Leaf Vapes, it's a smooth tobacco with a hint of maple and not too sweet

Thanks for that SASmith, I'm going to look into that Kanger, and I know our local shop has both that you mentioned. I'm not going to lie, that juice you just mentioned sounds awesome!

Then I was given some NiteLiteVapors Gold and I immediately fell in love with it. The first time I vaped it I knew I loved it. I have now been vaping it for 10 days at the 24mg and have not had a cigarette or wanted one that bad.

I Just vape and let it happen.

I was wondering everyone, we currently live in an apartment/condo community, when ordering juices online, anyone had issues with the heat during traveling/delivery affecting the quality?

Thanks in advance again!!!

Fenris4024

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Lubbock, TX
I meant to reply yesterday, but after catering a bbq for over 80 people in the west Texas heat, all I could manage afterwards was to collapse in glorious AC....

First of all, awesome and congrats! Always good to read about people making the switch! :toast:

Your initial set ups will serve you well for quite some time, and make excellent backups when you guys move on to the more robust PVs. As has been said a few times, lower ohm resistance devices will help if its throat hit or big billowy clouds on the current Ego batteries.

For my recommendation in this field (delivery devices), I'd suggest getting some Evods and getting some heads in a both the lower and higher resistance. This gives you the option of trying out different ohms with your juices, as well as the bonus of being usable in protanks as well. I recommend the Evods specifically because they're tough as nails and easy to care for. I've heard many issues with protanks "breaking", and also the price point of an Evod is about half that of a protank.

But, of course, what one person finds awesome, another will absolutely hate, so it is best to try different devices and see which is best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread