Getting Started with modding (electronics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweeper

Verified Member
May 4, 2011
Clarkston, WA
Hey Folks,

I've recently been diving in to the electronics side of ecig modding, and thought it would be nice to share some of the tips & tools I've found useful in prototyping a new mod. (note: I'm going to name names here, in terms of brands and suppliers, but I don't work for any of them, this is just what I've experienced)

Hardware:

Soldering Iron - this is a must. Get a nice bench soldering iron, the $20 ratshack one will do, but a controlled temp iron such as the ones sold by sparkfun are a world apart, and will bring joy and happiness to your soldering life. See: Hakko FX888 Soldering Station - SparkFun Electronics $100

Rotary Tool (aka dremel): another must. pick one up at a garage sale for maximum savings. You'll want cutoff discs, teeny tiny drill bits, and router bits. Goldmine electric has a lot of cheap stuff in the router bit department: Drills / Drill Bits-The Electronic Goldmine

Precision screwdrivers: Those ones that come in a little blue & clear plastic case will work but they're mostly crap. Get the ones that have nice big rubberized handles. I've got this one, and like it: http://........com/3mgrvsq

Dikes/diagonal cutters: at least two, one big, one small. You'll want to spend $10-15 on these new, to get a nice quality set. Cheaper ones will work, but probably won't cut as well.

Misc pliers: yadda yadda. some needle-nose, some blunt, for all your grabbing and twisting needs

Drill: for making holes! I like by 18v ryobi cordless. If you get a corded one, make sure it's a variable speed model, as many of them only have two speeds, "really fast" and "super fast". When you're drilling small stuff, you want to be able to go slowly. Obviously you'll want a set of bits for this as well.

Ok that's it for the boring stuff everyone already knows about, now for some stuff that's a bit more novel. When designing a vv mod, or just playing around to see what will work an how, the traditional way to do it is to use a breadboard. Get one! Sparkfun, Electronic Goldmine, and Digikey all sell acceptable versions.

BUT!

You can save yourself a lot of time and money by simulating things first. I'm not going to write a tutorial about using it, because there are a lot of them already there, but QUCS ( Qucs project: Quite Universal Circuit Simulator ) is a free, open source, and very powerful simulator for electronic circuits. You can play with resistor values, simulate different conditions, and see how much current will flow at what voltage, etc. I've even got it set to simulate changes in resistance as my atomizer heats up! tutorials for using it can be found here: Qucs project: documentation

Moving on...

So you want to make a crazy advanced mod, with lcd readouts, variable voltage, and moonrise calculator? Well, you can't do it using just resistors and capacitors! You could do it with a lot of transistors, but that would take up a lot of board space. What you really want is a microcontroller. There are two cheap options:

1) Arduino - $30+shipping, a lot of community support, a lot of tutorials, and lots of features. I wouldn't recommend using this in a final mod build due to size and complexity, but it's a good way to get started with microcontrollers. Once you've finalized your design you can scale down to a microcontroller that has only the things you need, and nothing else. Sparkfun carries many versions of it, but make *sure* you have the hardware needed to talk to whatever you buy. The standard version has a USB port, but the pro mini ($20) needs an FTDI breakout board to talk to it.

2) TI MSP430 Launchpad: MSP430 LaunchPad Value Line Development kit - MSP-EXP430G2 - TI Tool Folder

$4.30 shipped. fewer pins than an arduino (ATMega 168), but you can't beat the price. You will also be a lot closer to your "final" hardware and development environment if you start with this. Has a gui and some tutorials available, but not as comprehensive as what the arduino community has amassed. Also has a lot of low-power modes it can run in, so you can have your mod be constantly "on" and monitoring without draining your battery. Last test I saw, they estimated that in low-power mode, one of the msp430's could run for almost a decade on a *coin cell*. I haven't gotten a chance to actually play with one yet, mine's in the mail, but I expect great things. The launchpad comes with the usb hardware necessary to talk to the microcontroller, as well as plenty of prototyping space.

As a final note, gold mine electronics, linked above, has a lot of "weird" items that can prove entertaining, but beware of things like LCD modules from them, as it's frequently a bit hard to find datasheets, since the stuff they sell is surplus. That said, their "goldpaks" GoldPaks-The Electronic Goldmine are a great way to round out your parts bins on the cheap, if you don't have a surplus store available locally. Digikey is also nice, as I'm sure many of you know....and the makershed store has a lot of cool widgets as well. Their electronic component kits are actually rather cost-effective, although it might seem otherwise ( Maker SHED )

NicksVap3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2011
Maine USA
ive also found a few different size hand reamers are nice. make it easy to get holes to a good size for pressing atty connectors in.

a few misc hand files are good too. i have small tri sided, rats tail, and flat files i use. i dont have a rotary tool yet, but im sure if i did, id still be using these. good for precise fitting

a good multimeter is good to have too. one that measures DC voltage, ohms, and continuity. i have a hand-me-down craftsman from my dad, so not sure how much a decent one costs

hot glue gun. some people dont like them, i do. not as perminent as epoxy, not stinky, and holds good.

that linked soldering iron looks nice, id love it on my bench. but pricey. anyone use one of these?
i usually prefer to wait and get a good one (why i dont have a dremel), but 100 is a lil too much for a soldering iron ATM

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
I got me one of these rework stations. Mainly so i can do those pesky chips with the pads on the bottom but the pretty LED read outs were also a plus
71VpI5CEM8L._AA1500_.jpg

Besides that a mini lathe and mill are helpful. Then of course lots of cold beer and some good inspirational tunes like paint my masterpiece helps .......

Last edited:

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
I use this soldering station with the ETS .015" tip. You really need a variable temp iron, but for basic stuff, an inexpensive 25W pencil will do the job. Anything over that is too hot for most electronic components. However, you need more than 25W when soldering big stuff like atomizer connectors. For all my de-soldering needs, I've found the copper de-soldering braid in various widths has been able to get me by. It also comes in handy for fixing soldering goofs.

I've been using the Microchip PIC MCUs. They have a wide range of architectures and pin counts. There's tons of community support for them. The programmer/debuggers are certainly not as cheap as the TI one linked to, but I know nothing about the TI MCUs. Never looked into using one. Should check it out. The programmer/debuggers are still relatively inexpensive for the PICs and the PC software is free. Same for the AVR stuff.

I don't think MCU power consumption is a huge concern since atomizers draw so much power to begin with. All the modern MCUs have ultra-low power modes. My latest mod has a 7.5µA draw when idle, 3µA for the MCU. That's about 3 years on a coin cell. For a mod, that's plenty low enough. An idle draw of even a couple hundred µA would probably still be low enough for our application.

Circuit simulation is a vital tool for some things. However, sometimes it's best just to build your circuit and work out the bugs on the bench. If you try to simulate your whole design, you can find yourself spending more time getting the simulation to work than is worth the benefit. Linear Technology offers a free SPICE program that has covered everything I've wanted to do.

Mainly so i can do those pesky chips with the pads on the bottom

Tell me about it, I've just been putting a large via underneath them and hand soldering from the back. Can't always do that and more chips are using those pads so I'm probably going to have to do some kind of reflow eventually. Though, I should probably be doing some by now already. For some reason, I seem to be avoiding it like the plague.

Last edited:

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
This is a bit on the advanced side , someone had mentioned it in another thread. But you can turn your PC into a Oscilloscope by using your sound card. Quite a few programs out there but this one i just stumbled on looks like the best.
EDIT: IF you try this out be sure to use a voltage divider so your not inputting more then 1.7volts into your sound card. More then 1.7 volts your going to fry it !!!!!!!!!
Scope-GUI-640x457.png

http://www.zeitnitz.de/Christian/scope_en

Last edited:

jrm850

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2011
Southeastern US
This is an extremely handy gadget also - Circuit Simulator Applet - It's a java applet circuit simulator.

Let us know how that soundcard scope works out. I'm curious about how they calibrate voltage through the card.

Another option for a cheap scope is the Parallax USB Oscilloscope. They are discontinuing them and selling them for $149. I've used one for years when travelling with my laptop and it works fine as long as you're not trying to look at events shorter than
50uS.

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
hmm can't seem to edit my posts, I wanted to add ya'lls comment to the OP and make it all pretty :/

You only have so much time to edit a post till it gets locked. 48 hours or maybe 72 i forget off hand but something like that. You can quote yourself and add to it that way not sure what else you can do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread