Giveaway ideas - have your say in how we run them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms.Sue

Ultra Member
Aug 10, 2015
UK
Omit all posts that have a vowel in them....
Omit memes from post count....
Give everyone a freebie....
Omit all posts that quote previous posts....
Only count posts if they're from the UK....
Please note; not all of those suggestions are genuine (unless you agree with them).

I wonder if the people spamming the giveaway threads even want whatever it is they're trying to earn. Sorry, 'win'. :)

Yay!!!

GBD.png

Ms.Sue

Ultra Member
Aug 10, 2015
UK
Jeeebus, @Ms.Sue, go make a thread of your own to, umm, "speak your mind". You are the top poster in this thread, yet I don't believe you have offered Neil one suggestion. Your first post was about how some folks feel that the contests are fixed, and you have blabbered on ever since. Offer Neil a suggestion and leave it at that.

And who are you to tell me what to do?.

Ms.Sue

Ultra Member
Aug 10, 2015
UK
I was actually in a private discussion with a member back around Christmas who told me they believed the competitions were rigged in favor of the new members. The theory was that this person believed ECF and other vendor ran competitions would award good prizes to new members in hopes it would help them get off and stay off of tobacco where as the veteran members were most likely already off tobacco and didn't need the help.

I thought it was just as ludicrous as every other "the competitions are fixed" posts I've read.

That's weird.
I don't know about the earlier contests so I can't really comment but there must be a reason for he or she to say that.

Ms.Sue

Ultra Member
Aug 10, 2015
UK
That describes me. Bored with trying after seeing mostly the same names winning over and over again. I don't see how huge spam threads, not even remotely vaping related, benefit the vendor.

One entry per person, or one entry per day per person is my vote.

Do you think maybe it would be better if the discussion in the contest thread was vape related about the product and vendor?.

Ms.Sue

Ultra Member
Aug 10, 2015
UK
I posted exactly one time in that thread/competition and won a Mini (thanks again ECF :)). I am most definitely NOT a forum favorite.

Then, (once I realized that my odds increased with my post count) in another give-away I was posting numbers to increase my chances...literally my first post was "I'm in.", second post was "2x" (to signify two times the odds/chances), third post was "3x", etc...and I actually got quite a few likes on those posts from some folks that noticed my bald-face attempt to increase my odds.

Personally, I think weighted odds are a bad idea and I don't want to have to feel compelled to post a lot of nonsense just to try and level the field.

My suggestion: Just set the rules (whatever they are) and make sure they are prominently posted at the start of every thread, and tune out the noise. Nobody here is entitled to anything.

Yes, I said that yesterday that the rules need to be made clearer.
There are plenty of mods who would make sure we all do that.

Reactions: liblue1

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
A good idea when it's doable, the toughie is that suppliers often use contests to release new products, so it's difficult to have that much to say about them. ECF contests tend to be pretty large scale.

One forum supplier does a lot of their own contests, for new products coming in, and though they are very generous (often 10 or more items), it's hard to keep talking about neat features on something that people haven't used yet. That particular supplier has an active presence, is engaged on the threads. Trying to scale this up for an ECF-level contest with 50 to 100 sets would be brutal, super repetitive.

spartanstew

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
Wylie, Texas
I don't have or want to spend the time to go thru the 16 pages since I first viewed it and pretty sure most of it is chat and reactions to others posts rather than answer the op question. childish.

I like how a moderator doesn't have time to read the thread, yet offers an opinion anyway on what she "assumes" might have been said and then throws in name calling just for good measure. Classic.

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
I come onto ECF in a different time zone and to be honest I was once an active participant in the giveaway threads and would catchup and read about 80-85% of all the posts (which in some cases has been a lot of posts). Lots of interesting banter and often some neat little tips and tricks from folk I had not met before in the limited threads I follow. You could tell when I was catching up because I would respond to posts 6 hours earlier. :p

Lately however the posts are not really anything to read. The banter and information is gone and it is just pages and pages that I skip. Because I am using a tablet this becomes difficult and no fun.

I never have an expectation of receiving a giveaway... The fun for me was and is the interaction with people....so if I am not having fun then my participation drops accordingly. I have no opinion on the fairness because I can't participate with huge post count as people have gone to bed and it's hard to chat to myself. Well I can, but I am not that interesting.

If the vendor wants an active thread in return for giveaways then at least the vendor or the item should be mentioned in each post. That satisfies their need for activity on their product or name.

Last edited:

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
The Reef just off the Florida coast
I like how a moderator doesn't have time to read the thread, yet offers an opinion anyway on what she "assumes" might have been said and then throws in name calling just for good measure. Classic.
Cool down, Stew. She is a PIF Moderator, not a general ECF Moderator. And she is a fine participant throughout ECF.

And she had a perfectly good point. There have been very few actual suggestions for Neil to consider, but 19 pages of posts. Poor Neil. I feel bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread