Giveaway ideas - have your say in how we run them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
The "views" from the people making large number of posts are a false positive.
Whether it is right or wrong what if those views are what is attracting manufacturers to wanting to have contests hosted here? Without them we may not see as many contests. :X

With the current system in place they are lining up for them :)

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
ok poifect dream foiled,but pigs really do fly,I seen the commercial..:pop:
I have proof!
618w_pink_floyd_battersea_station_2.jpg

Ms.Sue

Ultra Member
Aug 10, 2015
UK
exactly...I don't participate anymore.....it's just not fun to me the way they are now...a little spam is one thing, but page after page with zero content, zero info, people complaining about others spam posts, all the while spamming their own....to me it is like walking into an ADHD day camp. Then you see it's always the people with huge post counts winning, and knowing I won't have the time to keep up....its just not worth playing under those circumstances

And this is what a lot of people have been saying.
If it was people who only signed up a month ago saying this I wouldn't take any notice, but when I hear people who have been members for years it makes me think it's unfair.

Marina2

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2015
USA
If it was people who only signed up a month ago saying this I wouldn't take any notice, but when I hear people who have been members for years it makes me think it's unfair.
This forum is for all members, even those that signed up a month ago. Why wouldn't you take notice if a newer member thought things were unfair?

Reactions: Ladybear

Rob Bacon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2015
Spokane, Washington
Or how about this: Only one entry counts per person for each drawing....but, to promote a fun active atmosphere, have multiple (daily, every other day, once a week etc...) "sub contests" with categories like "best meme" "best vape picture" "best joke" "most prolific poster" (for those who really do love the spam type) etc. etc.....
I like this idea.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
Part of the problem is the contest and who wins, but the other part is that the threads are just out of control. Typically 10 members have 50% of the posts in the whole thread.

In the last contest, there were 416 members that posted in the thread. 203 of them (half) had only 1 post. Why is that? Because they post once, see that it's mainly just a mad flurry of non-sensical posts by a small group of members and they don't come back. Is that good for the forum? (for the record, there's currently 150 members in the current contest with only 1 post)

The top 10 posters in the last contest accounted for 45% of the posts in the entire thread. In the current contest, the top 7 posters have over half the posts. The contests have just become a playground for 10 or 15 members to chit chat.

As a result, a very large segment of members don't even come to the contest threads any more. They were started as a means of driving traffic and they've resulted in just the opposite.

Nobody wants to post and then come back an hour later and see that in order to catch up with the discussion they have to read another 500 posts (by 5 people).

... sponsors want to get their product in front of as many buyers as possible, one of the main reasons for giveaways, but that is not what is happening in these contest. When less than 1% of participants are making over 50% of the total post count, it's a false perception there is a lot of people participating, the actual number of individual participants in these contest has been on the decrease.

The one that just ended last week.

Point is that people enter the thread (and make their one post), realize that the whole thread is just a few people chatting and/or posting useless info, so they leave and don't come back.

But in the last contest, if each person that entered would have posted 40 times (3 times per day for 2 weeks), the total number of posts would have exceeded the number that it ended up with. Getting people to come back and post a few times per day should result in a thread that's MORE active.

Ideally getting more people to actively participate should be the goal, I feel leveling the playing field along with daily entry caps would make a great start in encouraging participation and keep people coming back every day to play.

jimbodaddy74

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2013
Everywhere you want to be
exactly...I don't participate anymore.....it's just not fun to me the way they are now...a little spam is one thing, but page after page with zero content, zero info, people complaining about others spam posts, all the while spamming their own....to me it is like walking into an ADHD day camp. Then you see it's always the people with huge post counts winning, and knowing I won't have the time to keep up....its just not worth playing under those circumstances
It does make the OUTSIDE seem enjoyable by comparison.

ismokeinbinary

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
Kentucky
I don't even think this should be a discussion. Randomization is the way to go, it's fair to everyone. I hate all the spam in the contest threads. I try to enter all the contests I see and I always know I won't win the ones weighted by post count because I'm not about to spam in a contest page. I post once and move on, if I get an email, I won, if not, life goes on. Also I've been here for over a year and I've won twice. This forum isn't about the contests, it's about a community of vapers discussing what they love.

Big Me

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2014
England
It's too easy for a member to leverage the game with spam when using post count.
Just spend an hour quoting every post and adding a one-liner.

It already happens.
And they instantly get put on my "ignore" list. As do the ones who constantly post pictures/memes but don't add to the discussion.

I think its essential that the companies who want us to do their advertising for them (by having us spam social media) should at least have a representative in the thread so we can ask questions regarding their product.

Wow1420

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Somewhere out there
The top 10 posters in the last contest accounted for 45% of the posts in the entire thread. In the current contest, the top 7 posters have over half the posts. The contests have just become a playground for 10 or 15 members to chit chat.

As a result, a very large segment of members don't even come to the contest threads any more. They were started as a means of driving traffic and they've resulted in just the opposite.

I agree entirely.

Wow1420

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Somewhere out there
And how will the contest threads look if the same people continue to win over and over, and people get bored with trying, and don't enter anymore...how will those threads look? probably not too enticing for the suppliers

That describes me. Bored with trying after seeing mostly the same names winning over and over again. I don't see how huge spam threads, not even remotely vaping related, benefit the vendor.

One entry per person, or one entry per day per person is my vote.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
careful...talk like that will get you bad mouthed in other threads :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread