• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Glad I found this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

the ob

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
Portlandia
I have recently been diagnosed with adhd (I am 42 years old). I did quit smoking three years ago, and have not really been as happy, patient or focused as I was back when I was smoking.

In doing research, I realize that a lot of people with this condition love and have a lot of trouble quitting smoking. They have also found that nicotine can be very helpful in helping people with this condition focus better (which I did when I was smoking)

The bottom line is that I am considering vaping as a way of helping me. I never wanted to give up anyway and this allows me to start again, but in a less harmful way.

Although I have passed all the tests and am sure I have this condition, I do not have some of the negative aspects that this condition can bring. I have my own (successful) business and I am very social. I make friends easily. I do have a lot of trouble getting through mundane tasks and focusing. I am currently begging to see a therapist and we are exploring meds. I started to take Straterra, but had to quit after a couple of days. The side effects were too much. I think the next one that we will try is Riddalin. I am personally thinking about self medicating with vaping. I am mostly very thankful that I have found a place where I can discuss this condition.

Lastly, I want to say this.....I am glad I found out I have this condition. I really look at it as though it is a gift. I think my personality has been greatly effected by this condition and in many positive ways. I do not think I would be who I am without this and I like who I am. I hope many of you feel the same way. Many very creative, successful people have this condition!!!

Zapp and Roger

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
www.myspace.com
Truly all the caffeine and nicotine I take in can be considered self medicating to cope, however I was on meds years ago, Ritalin to be specific. I find that I don't really care too much for the hyper-focused feeling that came with it. I have found many ways to cope with the shortcomings and focus on the strengths inherent. Mtn. Dew and vaping will carry the day :)

SharkbaitJr

Jul 18, 2011
Madison, WI
I'm on meds... Many of them unfortunately, but they help balance and stabilize my mood and energy and everything else, so it's a good thing for me personally. My Doctor actually recommended e-cigarettes to quit smoking... He did not know, however, that I would find a wonderful site like this and fall in love with AVE juices. He has helped create a new monster!!!

Lots of people with add self-medicate with nicotine. It reduces anxiety and does a little to focus the mind as well.

I am on meds now, but only after several awful experiences with meds. This time, it's working for me. I'd like to claim it's the different meds I'm on, but truthfully it's because I found a good doctor with enough time, energy, and concern to listen and adapt. So many docs either have a god complex or don't have the time to really listen (or both) that droves of people get poor treatment or no treatment. Psychoactive drugs are so very very personal in their effects that no one will react the same way. So without a doc who will listen and adjust, chances of bad experiences are astronomical.

Moral: If you find yourself thinking your doc isn't listening, or if you aren't being included in your plan of care, change docs. In nursing school, one point was pounded into my head. PATIENTS are their own primary caregiver. Period. Docs and nurses may have a wider knowledge base, but patients ADMINISTER their treatments, they ASSESS their treatments, and whether docs like it or not, they EVALUATE the effectiveness. If you ever get a doc who isn't on board with that, go elsewhere.

Youssefa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2009
Gainesville, FL USA
good lord where do I begin , I have been on several different meds from adderall to wolbutrin and lexipro and ritalin . all of them with severe side from ultra focus, chain smoking, ED, thoughts of suicide, seizures and hallucinations. adderall cause oltra focus and chain smoking , wolbutrin caused ED, and after only 1 pill of lexipro hallucinations, seizure and thoughts of suicide. needless to say I think I'll just keep on vaping.

spoken from Inspire 4g

ego-fan

Moved On
Apr 7, 2012
Allways resisted meds....I am certain that medication will work beautifully for many people with this affliction....perhaps it would have normalized my life as well....a lass I am a rebel...and I was allways affraid, that my brain would somehow be altered by the meds....I like my brain....:)
Selfmedicating...however experimenting with reducing nic.levels...have led to trouble focusing on work related tasks lately :blink: and deppression has been a problem also...well...it is a work in progress.

Vape on vapers:vapor:

tinajfreeman

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Before you go on the meds, try vaping first. Nicotine does help with ADHD without the side effects of the meds.

My 20 year old son has a pretty bad case of ADHD and took meds in high school for several years. He chose to stop them after never finding one that didn't make him feel "not like himself". After that he has stuck with Red Bull. But recently he has had a little trouble focusing in college and wants to try ADHD meds again. Believe it or not, even though he is a non-smoker, I actually encouraged him to try vaping. His brain does need something.

I have never been officially diagnosed with ADHD, but have a lot of the same issues and always find my cognitive processes and focus improve when I am on nicotine. I think it is the #1 reason I had so much trouble quitting smoking for 20+ years. Vaping definitely improves my mental clarity and focus, and I don't think I will ever go to 0 nic or quit vaping (even though I vape 6-12 most of the time, depending on how much vaping I can do) for that reason...I use 18 mg nic in the first half hour or so before I start working to kick-start my brain. I have a brain job so keeping my brain "on" is really important.

I know for a fact I am self-medicating with vaping, and I'm OK with that.

Last edited:

ego-fan

Moved On
Apr 7, 2012
Hi Individual :)
I find that excercising ..a lot :) ...really helps controlling the ADHD....did you have difficoulty with quitting analogs due to brainchemestry ?
I still struggle ...have lost my hyperfocus somewhat...however I am never smoking another cigarret, trying out different nic-levels vaping , have you lowered your level over time ? or have you found that it makes the ADHD worse ? :)

Big Tobacco.....j,accuse:mad:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread