Status
Not open for further replies.

gashin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2008
Southern California USA
www.ecigmall.com
:). The problem is finding the soldiers to fight this war, since a large majority of American youth are Japanese culture addicts (i.e. anime, import cars, Japanese films, etc). Globalization has killed our sense of national identity :(.
K.; You've convinced me. Let's invade Japan again.

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
If find the car discussion interesting as someone who used to be in the auto business. The last time I shopped for a car, I was driving 70 miles one way to my office. Obviously I was in the market for a high mpg car that would also be comfortable since I was spending 3 hours per day in the car. After much searching and test driving I purchased a Jetta TDI(Diesel). 95,000 miles later I am still getting 48mpg and the only maint I have had to do is oil change, wiper blades, and tires. I haven't even had to do brakes yet. This has been the best car I have ever owned (out of about 20). I am a VW customer for life at this point.

The shame of it is that no American car company built something comparable (nor do they now). My choice from an American maker was a tiny car that got 40 mpg at best and would be very uncomfortable or a hybrid with unproven technology (at least it was 4 years ago) and the fact that hybrids are not as effective mileage wise with highway driving. No American mfg make a diesel car then or now. Meanwhile VW sells every Jetta TDI with a waiting list at most dealerships. Are any of these companies paying attention to what works, or as we know are they building what they think the market should be.....................

gashin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2008
Southern California USA
www.ecigmall.com
Yeah I'm a fan of the Jetta TDI too... torquey isn't it? American car companies failed because they thought that they could dictate the market with their reputation as being the leaders for decades.... this obviously failed as most of the world shifted away from totalitarian, command economies to a global free market in which consumer demands rule!
If find the car discussion interesting as someone who used to be in the auto business. The last time I shopped for a car, I was driving 70 miles one way to my office. Obviously I was in the market for a high mpg car that would also be comfortable since I was spending 3 hours per day in the car. After much searching and test driving I purchased a Jetta TDI(Diesel). 95,000 miles later I am still getting 48mpg and the only maint I have had to do is oil change, wiper blades, and tires. I haven't even had to do brakes yet. This has been the best car I have ever owned (out of about 20). I am a VW customer for life at this point.

The shame of it is that no American car company built something comparable (nor do they now). My choice from an American maker was a tiny car that got 40 mpg at best and would be very uncomfortable or a hybrid with unproven technology (at least it was 4 years ago) and the fact that hybrids are not as effective mileage wise with highway driving. No American mfg make a diesel car then or now. Meanwhile VW sells every Jetta TDI with a waiting list at most dealerships. Are any of these companies paying attention to what works, or as we know are they building what they think the market should be.....................

We need to stop blaming others for our own problems. We've become a nation of consumers instead of producers and the world free market rightly shifts the wealth to the productive nations. Name some industries where America is still a leader? There are a few but mostly we've been overthrown by Germany and the many Asian Tigers. For example, America is no longer the greatest exporter in the world. That honor belongs to Germany, a nation with a population less than a third of our own. South Korea is the leader in ship building and electronics, and its cars are superior to our cars. Japan needs no mention... Our current level of opulence is a false image of prosperity - funded by hundreds of billions of Chinese loans of course :).
When Senator Schumer (NY D) was asked about the devaluation of Chinese money in relation to the ginormous trade deficit he said, Now is not the time to call China out on this ( aka fight them on this). Yeah because if they call in their debts we owe them, we are done for. Same for the UAE, it is VERY sad.

Letzin Hale

Moved On
Dec 28, 2008
swings.jpg

swing-dance.jpg

+

Magic_roundabout1.jpg

800px-Magic_Roundabout_Schild_db.jpg

gashin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2008
Southern California USA
www.ecigmall.com
I believe that our government (and our companies) may have gotten into so much debt on purpose. What better way to increase profits than to force open our country to foreign investment and cheap labor than by making our nation dependent on others? This situation, NAFTA, and the WTO are forcing globalization which in the big picture means more profits as companies will have access to both a larger, cheaper job market and more consumers with money to spend as their nations increasingly become prosperous at our expense? It seems that there is a strong international movement towards increasing the average wealth of every individual on earth which I believe is good for several reasons but also bad for our country!
When Senator Schumer (NY D) was asked about the devaluation of Chinese money in relation to the ginormous trade deficit he said, Now is not the time to call China out on this ( aka fight them on this). Yeah because if they call in their debts we owe them, we are done for. Same for the UAE, it is VERY sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread