GMail Hack Attempt - Anybody else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2010
Virginia
I reserve my gmail account mainly for online commerce, quite a lot of it e-cigarette related. Several days ago, for the first time I got a notice when logging into gmail that my account had been accessed by a computer in Japan. (The message was vague as to whether it was a successful login...) I changed my password as they advised. I'm curious as to whether anybody here recently encountered anything similar. The only thing I've recently done that strikes me as worth mentioning was my adding the gmail address as a second PayPal address as a way of fulfilling ECF Verified Member requirements. (It is the email address I use for ECF.)

None of this is intended to indict ECF or any of the vendors with whom I've done business through this account, as I know there are numerous explanations for this occurrence that would not be related to them. But I am curious about similar occurrences, particularly within the past week, any of you might have experienced.

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
i've had gmail for over 6 yrs now and had 2 hacking attempts in that time span. gmail is my only email and therefore linked to pp and ecf as a primary address. i saw no correlation between those hacks and the sites that had access to my email.
like you, i changed my password to avoid further attempts.
if your email account was compromised somebody had to figure out your password. and that has nothing to do with who has your email address on file.

moondaddy

Apr 30, 2012
ohio
More likely than not your gmail was flagged by your use. I've had a few of those notices pop up logging into gmail. Sometimes when I try to visit a site on my phone I will get a message saying you can't access this site because of your location. Searched the IP address my phone was using and it came back as an address in Germany. I live in Ohio lol. If you think you was hacked just check the timestamp on the login attempt. If you know you was on your gmail it was nothing more than false positive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread