Good basic info on starting to modify?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TreverT

Sep 10, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Hello all! Hope someone can throw me some useful links. I've seen a lot of links to folks selling mods, but not to info sites on modding itself. Is there any good place to go that spells out some basics about modding, and building your own? I'm speaking strictly in terms of matching batteries to atomizers, parts houses, some instructions and ideas on simple ways to start modding, etc.

For background, I am a professional pen turner and carver of smoking pipes. I think a lot of the turning skills on miniaturized parts that I've picked up from pen work would likely carry over well, but I'm fuzzy on the technical stuff - atomizer ratings, power required, etc.

To get a little more specific, I've got a Janty eGo that I love dearly, but when I look at it, I can't help but wonder if I could build something similar myself, but use some turned and sandblasted fossilized black bog oak for the body, instead of the standard black steel.

Thanks in advance for any links, starting tips, etc!

morepyro

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2010
Mooresville, NC
I don't know of any websites dedicated to modding. The aforementioned sub-forum of the ecf has a huge compilation of information on modding, but be prepared to spend a lot of time going through it to find what you want. I've lost days going through all of the good information, and lessons learned there, because I find it so interesting. I would recommend starting with the stickys.

A faster starting point may be to go to Welcome to MadVapes LLC and go to the "How To" section. A more distilled version of a lot of the modding information that can be found on the ecf. You can also purchase most of the necessary components at MadVapes. They have a good reputation amongst ecf members.

Hope this helps.

Jim

TreverT

Sep 10, 2010
Greensboro, NC
A faster starting point may be to go to Welcome to MadVapes LLC and go to the "How To" section. A more distilled version of a lot of the modding information that can be found on the ecf. You can also purchase most of the necessary components at MadVapes. They have a good reputation amongst ecf members.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Ahh, thanks very much for that! And it turns out Mad Vapes is right here in NC, too. I'm currently in the middle of my first mod, more or less, as my 601 epipe died and I'm taking it apart to see if I can fit it with a replaceable atty and a manual switch. I also like those acrylic kits on the Mad Vapes site, with springs installed and all. I want to turn my own bodies, since I have a huge stock of pen rods here from penmaking, but for now I just want to start simple.

capecodjim

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2010
Cape Cod
Hello all! Hope someone can throw me some useful links. I've seen a lot of links to folks selling mods, but not to info sites on modding itself. Is there any good place to go that spells out some basics about modding, and building your own? I'm speaking strictly in terms of matching batteries to atomizers, parts houses, some instructions and ideas on simple ways to start modding, etc.

For background, I am a professional pen turner and carver of smoking pipes. I think a lot of the turning skills on miniaturized parts that I've picked up from pen work would likely carry over well, but I'm fuzzy on the technical stuff - atomizer ratings, power required, etc.

To get a little more specific, I've got a Janty eGo that I love dearly, but when I look at it, I can't help but wonder if I could build something similar myself, but use some turned and sandblasted fossilized black bog oak for the body, instead of the standard black steel.

Thanks in advance for any links, starting tips, etc!

Hey Trever!! I've only been vaping for a couple months and got the modding bug right away. A great way to learn is to build an easy one! The "puck" mod can be built with parts from Radio Shack (except the atty) and uses regular NiMH rechargeable batteries. There's a link to the excellent "How to build a puck" tutorial in my sig below.

You can also get kits with all the parts from Welcome to MadVapes LLC

Basic mods are very easy to make and you can turn just about anything into a vaporizer. With your skills I'm sure you could turn out some impressive products.

Check out the pipe mods under "my design" here (Pic of one below)

601PfeifenMod005.jpg

Mod by Sleazer

Check out raidy's thread also. He's got some amazing stuff including pipe mods

Welcome to the world of modding!! Feel free to post or PM any questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread