The Modders Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

petercro

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
Brough East Yorkshire, UK
Just an Idea.

Would it be worth, putting together a database of mod parts.
Everything from mosfets to battery clips, 5ml bottles to mod boxes.

Fully searchable, and updateable.
One place for any modders to go and get a product link to the supplier.
Fields for user comments on parts.

I remembered that I saw a link to a switch, and it took me nearly 2 hours to find it.
Having a searchable DB maybe the way to go.

I would be quite happy to build a sql db and host it on my site.
I would like all your thoughts.
But also ideas on the db design, (field names, etc)
The more basic the better as my head explodes when I start trawling through farnell datasheets, so just adding the relevant information, links and pics, etc.

What do you think!!!!!!!!

nicotime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2009
Montoursville, PA
Sounds good to me...gonna be a lot of work though.

Fields,hmmm...definitely need Part #s, Wiring Diagrams and Suppliers. I agree with your other post too, we need a somebody like Scottbee or Charged as a "Resident Electronics Expert" too. They could keep the db factual and weed out the best parts for the job.

People get paid for that dont they? LOL

Charged

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Bloomfield, NY
That's quite the noble offer petercro. As nico said you are talking some major work there and then just maintenance updating all the time. I wouldn't want to see you donating a ton of time for such a thing for free. Would be good to get a sense of the number of users that would make use of such a database and maybe ask for donations to help cover your efforts. It would for sure be helpful, and I know what you mean regarding trying to find a particular post. It's not as simple as just using the search function on here.

petercro

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
if you guys need a sql db I have one online and accessible. I also have a web server etc. I used to own an ISP and sold it, so I have this one as a "personal" machine online. pm me if you have a need or whatever.

Thanks for the offer Mr J
I already have a sql setup, hosted isp and unlimited storage / bandwidth.
Just looking for initial feedback on the idea.

The updates and new additions would be done by the registered users in a simple format, for easy searching / reading. Datasheet files could be attached to records for more detailed info, and of course lots of pics.
Again at the moment, just looking for feedback on the idea!!!!!!!!!

MastiffMike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2009
Dogville Estate
Petercro,

LOVE the idea but question the amount of work involved. It seems like it'd be easier (and dare I say even better) if you could just put together a list of phone numbers of all the brillant modder minds. Then, I'd have you all at the touch of a finger 24/7!!! Think about it!!! No waiting, no searching, no having to figure stuff out, no reading schematics that I'll never understand!!!

And to make compiling the list ofphone #'s easier, I offer to host a get together of all the best modders in my home (airfare/hotel NOT included, just chips and dip, heck, I'll even by some beer!). And while everyone's here, maybe it wouldn't be too much to ask to have you all build me a couple of PVs??? If so, then I could settle for just 1 really good one! See how ameciable I can be! :p

petercro

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
Petercro,

LOVE the idea but question the amount of work involved. It seems like it'd be easier (and dare I say even better) if you could just put together a list of phone numbers of all the brillant modder minds. Then, I'd have you all at the touch of a finger 24/7!!! Think about it!!! No waiting, no searching, no having to figure stuff out, no reading schematics that I'll never understand!!!

And to make compiling the list ofphone #'s easier, I offer to host a get together of all the best modders in my home (airfare/hotel NOT included, just chips and dip, heck, I'll even by some beer!). And while everyone's here, maybe it wouldn't be too much to ask to have you all build me a couple of PVs??? If so, then I could settle for just 1 really good one! See how ameciable I can be! :p

MIKE
Your generosity, ceases to amaze me.
The offer of chips and dips, "Its tempting".
Make it fillet steak and a bottle, NO a case of 84 rocha, served by 4 naked virgins, and I would be on the next flight!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hell for 4 naked virgins and a case of 84 rocha, I would teleport there..........
AND NEVER LEAVE............
But my mind is wandering, You set me off again.

MMMMMMMMMMMM NAKED VIRGINS.

This thread is going down hill minute by minute........

Back to the topic at hand............
NaKedDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
stop it, stop it............LOL

You could say that there are thousands of switches, but only a handful or two are good for our use.
Once the 2 or 3 hundred basic items have been entered, then any new finds could be added by any registered user, then double checked / edited by any other registered user, (A Bit like wiki).

A Core of 10 - 20 dedicated users could be given administrative control.
If they happen to see something which is incorrect or offensive, they could, edit, delete, or ban the person who posted the material.
The users who add new material all the time and are known as respected modders, would also be given administrative control...........
This way the people who use and support the DB the most would have control over its use.

MastiffMike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2009
Dogville Estate
LOL! Petercro you crack me up!

Back to the OT.... I tend to disagree about the "handful of switches" b/c with a mosfet or control-pin-regulator you can use a wide variety. Heck, I've got a dual rocker (on is master, one is momentary) that is rated for our needs and I doubt it's on most peoples radar. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the idea, just don't want to see you put in 100+ hours only to find it's underutilized. Also, for the novices like me, I'd still be tempted to just ask you guys since that way I'd be SURE! I ain't so good with reading specs and stuff.

I agree it should be maintained by the users, but how many people do you think would use it regularly? I know there's other forums but even so there's what ~50 modders who could benefit on a semi-regular basis? And of those, I'd bet close to a third know how to find the stuff pretty easily themselves? Not trying to dissuade you, just want to make sure that the effort is worth it for those that would benefit.

Now back to the important part.... virgins.... my wife says she's one, will she do?!?!

petercro

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
Now back to the important part.... virgins.... my wife says she's one, will she do?!?!

If she serves steak and red wine, tell her "yes".................LOL LOL LOL

You are right about the number of modders whom would use the DB on a regular basis.

But you are wrong about hundreds of hours.
My site / ISP give me free access to site software such as wiki, image galleries, forums, chat, DB's, etc, etc.

Adding a few records / pages to start it off would not be too much of a hardship.
But again would it be worth doing.
This is what this thread is about.

Now back to the important part....

(*^GH H*&*$ R^%"" £ "!34^&(
*(& ^*%^ (*&^ *& * ) ) ) % £ G
F k h% *&^

And that's all I've got to say about that.

candre23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2010
NJ
chipandre.com
It is a great idea to try to assemble all this information in one place, and I applaud the enthusiasm that you guys are showing, but I think you are making it much more difficult than it needs to be. There is already a perfectly good repository for this type of information - the E-Cigarette Wiki.

It would take a very minimal amount of effort to set up basic page structure and templates for mod components, schematics and techniques. As with any wiki, it is easily editable by anybody who wishes to add to it. Comments, corrections and improvements can be made by anybody willing to do so. In the end, I think the open format of a wiki lends itself better to this sort of compilation of parts and processes than a more rigidly structured database.

A good example I think is the BEAM Robotics Wiki. Building robots is far more complicated than building PV mods, but at their heart, they're both exercises in amateur, small-scale electrical and mechanical engineering. The content may be different, but the type of data contained - sources for and use of various electrical components, designs and schematics, construction techniques and examples - is essentially the same. They've managed to organize a huge amount of data in such a way that is is more accessible than a database. I think a similar structure for a PV mod repository would be ideal.

Last edited:

chev327fox

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
Nowheresville, ME
i cant cook but i'll do the dishes and my GF is also a virgin!

LOL!!! Wait you are kidding right?

Anyways to the OP, great idea!!! I had the same problem trying to find info on series and parallel batteries and the difference with charging them and I still can't remember where I saw the info... oh well. If you need any help with making pictures or graphics look nice I would be more then happy help out, I'm pretty good with Photoshop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread