Got a couple of technical battery questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Outer Space
I'm trying to decide which batteries to get. I have it narrowed down to either PANASONIC NCR18650PF or SONY 3.7V US18650VTC4. I was leaning more towards the Sony's because [1] I know where I can get a package deal with 4 of them PLUS a Nitecore i4 V2 for $43 shipped (after discount code), and [2] If I wanted to get a mech mod in a few months, I'd already have perfect batteries for that type of setup. However, for the time being I'll be using a regulated APV and the place I was going to order the batteries from says this about them.....
Safe for sub-ohm and/or microcoil builds. Just like the VTC3s, these batteries have been tested for safety under extreme stress. Sony was able to make these batteries last longer while retaining the "High Drain" characteristics. Although you can use it for VWs, remember that it will only last you half as long and since your VW will limit the output, you will not get the full potential of these batteries.​
So, with these batteries having a rated capacity of 2100mAh, does that mean using them in a regulated APV, will effectively result in a capacity of ~1000mAh? Are these batteries not a good choice for use in a regulated APV?
---------------

The second potential problem is this. I already knew before starting to research "mod batteries" that all batteries have a maximum charge rate, and that it would be very stupid to exceed that, but I've never heard of a battery having a minimum charge rate. I thought you could apply any current that keeps you under the max. charge rate, and that lower current would just take longer to charge the battery. However, according to the specs listed for the Panasonic's on the orbtronics website, they list a minimum charging current of 600mA.

Where this could become a problem is with the charger. I was planning on getting a Nitecore i4 V2 charger. Based off all the reviews I've read, it seems to be a pretty good charger. Even though it has 4 slots, it only has 2 charging channels, so if you're charging more than 2 batteries at a time, or even just 2 at a time in paired slots, then each battery will only get 375mA. That means I'd never be able to charge more than 2 of the Panasonic's at a time. Additionally, even when charging only 2 batteries, I'd have to pay extra close attention that they don't go into paired slots. This is of course assuming that the minimum charge current is correct. Can someone verify this? Has anyone charged 3 or 4 Panasonic NCR18650PF batteries simultaneously in an i4 charger? Sorry, Know it's kinda long. appreciate any help.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
mAh, or milliamp hours, is a rating that specifies how many milliamps your battery will put out when discharged at a rate that will empty it in one hour. So a 2100 mAh battery will put out 2100 Ma for one hour and then it's completely empty.

The NCR18650PF is rated for 2900 mAh vs the VTC4 at 2100. In a regulated mod, you should get 2100/2900*100 = 72% of the time between charges from the VTC4 battery compared to the PF. Typical regulated mods rarely draw more than 5A from the battery continuously, so you lose time between charges with the VTC4 but you gain nothing in return.

Now, if you're running these batteries in a mechanical mod, time between charges will have about the same relationship between the two at the same coil resistance. But you can draw 30A continuous from the VTC4, about 0.15 ohms minimum but only 10A from the PF, about 0.45 ohms minimum. I wouldn't take a battery to the limit of its discharge capability, but the percentage difference will be the same. Run the PF at over 10A and it will eventually heat up and vent which is bad. If you will not use coils at less than about 0.7 ohms in a mech mod, you will see no advantage from the VTC4.

I don't know why they say "half as long". Maybe they just didn't run the numbers.

I've heard about a minimum charge rate but I have no real knowledge about it.

CaliVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Outer Space
Thank you for the reply. That's exactly how I thought it worked. The seller of these batteries weren't comparing the Sony VTC4's to the Panasonic PF's (or to any battery for that matter), they just said they will last half as long. So I didn't understand it. But basically 2100mAh is 2100mAh, no matter if its in a regulated APV, mechanical mod, flashlight, etc.

I Realize 2100mAh as opposed to 2900mAh I loose time between charges, and gain nothing in return.... strictly speaking of the capabilities of the battery. However, I would indeed [financially] gain something in return.
-------

1st question solved. Anyone know anything about the minimum charge rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread