Status
Not open for further replies.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Well the local Superpharm pharmacy here in Port of Spain Trinidad had a couple evic vtc mini's on display so now I am the proud owner of a genuine JoyeTech.
I guess technically it's not my first genuine joyetech because I did buy an ego-c starter kit in 2013 but that never worked for me but the batteries were good enough and I used those batts with v-nano's, protanks and even my first rebuildable, a genny type which was great till it broke.
The pharm also had an egrip and something else.. I think it was a vaporfi something; plus they've still have a few gladius tanks for some reason (I always shake my head when I seem them - but hey maybe now that they have a couple mods those gladius's can go together with something).

So tonight I'm vaping a 0.2 ohm nickel coil in an ego-one.
One day I'll try out a 0.8 ohm kanthal build on one of my drippers and get it work in tc mode.

Meanwhile I'm just all smiles.

Now how do I check on the firmware upgrade thing for this?:drool:
*headscratch*

Reactions: DingerCPA

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Ok, that was easy; Firmware upgraded from 1 to v3.
Screen instantly changed. I now see celcius instead of farenheit YAY; and it displays amps.

Thank you JoyeTech.:thumbs:

Comments:

1: Plugging in usb automatically starts charging
I don't like how it immediately starts charging battery when I plug in usb cable.
First off I am plugging in usb to do firmware upgrade, and second I like to give my battery relaxation time.
A simple improvement would be to at least give a delay before switching to charge mode, at least 5 seconds.
The best improvement would be to only start charging if the battery has been inactive for half an hour (assuming half hour is standard suitable relaxation time).

2: Instant ON
I like how when I change the battery, I don't have to 5-click to turn it on to continue vaping.
That was an annoyance with my vamo and zmax. A small interruption in power from a little shift in the battery used to cut the power with my vamo or zmax and I'd have to 5click to continue; sometimes just taking a vape and tilting the mod used to cause it to lose power; it was one of the reasons I got fed up and used a mech with a kick; the kick does not need to be told to turn on.

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
click the fire button 20 times, it should show which one you have. 3.0 is the new one. You can download it from joytechs website. Only takes a few minutes

Ok; I tried clicking fire buttons 20+ times; twice; it switched off the second time; gave me a bit of a scare; pulled the battery and put it back in and its working again.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Well the local Superpharm pharmacy here in Port of Spain Trinidad had a couple evic vtc mini's on display so now I am the proud owner of a genuine JoyeTech.
I guess technically it's not my first genuine joyetech because I did buy an ego-c starter kit in 2013 but that never worked for me but the batteries were good enough and I used those batts with v-nano's, protanks and even my first rebuildable, a genny type which was great till it broke.
The pharm also had an egrip and something else.. I think it was a vaporfi something; plus they've still have a few gladius tanks for some reason (I always shake my head when I seem them - but hey maybe now that they have a couple mods those gladius's can go together with something).

So tonight I'm vaping a 0.2 ohm nickel coil in an ego-one.
One day I'll try out a 0.8 ohm kanthal build on one of my drippers and get it work in tc mode.

Meanwhile I'm just all smiles.

Now how do I check on the firmware upgrade thing for this?:drool:
*headscratch*

The Ti coil is Excellent in that tank. Won a Pair of VTC-Mini's. Gave the wife the Tanks and set everything up for her.
VTC-mini is a excellent performer in TC as well as a nice low to moderate power mod.
I'm running a Dual coil Magma on mine at .6ohm and loving it.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Kanthal doesn't work with TC...
Congrats on the Evic though, I have a white one and it is now my ADV. Love it!

I'll update here when I try it.
the v3 firmware allows tc to operate up to 1.5ohm so I should be able to use one of my existing 1.2 coils.
I bet it will work at a setting of about 100degreeC at 15 watts or thereabouts. Of course the temperature number displayed will be inaccurate/ludicrous, but I am not interested in the numbers, it just needs to reduce power before the coil goes red.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I'll update here when I try it.
the v3 firmware allows tc to operate up to 1.5ohm so I should be able to use one of my existing 1.2 coils.
I bet it will work at a setting of about 100degreeC at 15 watts or thereabouts. Of course the temperature number displayed will be inaccurate/ludicrous, but I am not interested in the numbers, it just needs to reduce power before the coil goes red.

Sorry to inform - Yes it will fire a Kanthal Coil
No it will not regulate it.
Been tested on several TC mods already. First was the IPV-D2 in order to get around the No Power Buck in VW mode.
With SS available in TC there is no need to waste time with Kanthal. However you have the best of both worlds with decent VW power available to run most Kanthal builds nicely.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Sorry to inform - Yes it will fire a Kanthal Coil
No it will not regulate it.
Been tested on several TC mods already. First was the IPV-D2 in order to get around the No Power Buck in VW mode.
With SS available in TC there is no need to waste time with Kanthal. However you have the best of both worlds with decent VW power available to run most Kanthal builds nicely.

I know I've seen at least 1 person report success; in any case worth a try; I ought to get misself some nichrome, it should work better than kanthal, and might as well try some ss too.

@ZaMinion
temperature control with kanthal wire

===edit===
First report:
Found a 1.3 ohm coil on my manta, and tried it at 100 degree, 10 watts.
Mod switches to power mode when I fire the coil.
I read the v3 software worked up to 1.5 ohms in tc mode, but I guess not.

Last edited:

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
Very good units. The Tron S tanks are head over heels better than the eGo One tank. No leaking. The eGo One CL coils are very easy to rebuild. Wife loves hers. She also owns the IPV-D2 with the eGo One tank on it. Ordered another authentic Tron S tank for it. But it has been on hold the past three weeks from FastTech and soon they go on holidays for ten days. May be months to get the second Tron S. CHEERS!

Eitje

Sep 2, 2015
Ok, that was easy; Firmware upgraded from 1 to v3.
Screen instantly changed. I now see celcius instead of farenheit YAY; and it displays amps.

Thank you JoyeTech.:thumbs:

Comments:

1:
I don't like how it immediately starts charging battery when I plug in usb cable.
First off I am plugging in usb to do firmware upgrade, and second I like to give my battery relaxation time.
A simple improvement would be to at least give a delay before switching to charge mode, at least 5 seconds.
The best improvement would be to only start charging if the battery has been inactive for half an hour (assuming half hour is standard suitable relaxation time).
I would find it bloody annoying if it waited for half an hour to start charging.
If you wish to relax your batteries, how about you don't vape for half an hour :) and then only plug in USB. As for fw updates. Start the fw update application first, only then plug in USB as per instructions.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I got a mini via fasttech a couple weeks ago. I think it's a brilliant little device. At my power settings (below) I'm getting a thousand seconds of firing time which just barely gets me through an entire day.

There was a long wait from fasttech but I could also order a silicone sleeve and a faux leather sleeve. I prefer the faux leather, gives enough grip and slides in and out of my pocket easier. For $2.50 each I got two.

$2.53 Authentic Vapesoon Protective Sleeve Case for eVic VTC Mini 60W TC VW Mod - PU leather at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
update

Well I found out how to set tcr on the evic vtc mini
-press fire 5 times to turn off
-hole fire and right button down for about 10 seconds
that brings up the tcr menu

the tcr default values are 120
I changed m1 to 1

I set the wattage in tc mode to 10 watts and now I've brought it down to 5 watts.
In both cases, the mod keeps insisting on firing at 30 watts.

In tc mode I actually see see the ohms increase from 1.34 to 1.35, 1.36
I have the temp set to 210.

It eventually ends up switching to power mode, which is highly annoying.
I'd call that a malfunction- switching from tc mode to power mode. I know it's deliberate but it's a malfunction like when you have a spellchecker that absolutely will not allow you to spell what you want.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
This thing has a WEAK BATTERY indicator that works!

I've got a couple two year old efest IMRs that I knew where still good for 5 volt vaping;
tried one, and while it did work, the vtc mini posted WEAK BATTERY at the bottom of the screen PLUS it also kept updating the wattage! The wattage was set for 13 watts but it was showing lower wattages 7 to 8 watts when I fired the button.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
I dunno to me when I held one in a shop it feels like it's made out of cheap plastic, doesn't have that rugged feel.

Well sure feels like metal to me;
just for you I scratched off the black a little of the bottom and sure enough there's the silvery shine of metal; and magnet sticks to it.

Last edited:

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
I dunno to me when I held one in a shop it feels like it's made out of cheap plastic, doesn't have that rugged feel.
Can't do this with plastic. ;)
Seriously tho, being female I'm glad it doesn't have that rugged feel to it. If it did I probably wouldn't have bought it.

20160207_211029_001_20160207_211117_zpskj0csylx.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread