The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.
  1. Dear Guest, 

ECF will be down for an extended period Tuesday 25th January from 6am central / 7am Eastern. 

This is due to a server migration. With any luck we'll by open by lunchtime. Thanks in advance for your patience :)

@low_tar_neil

Dismiss Notice

Got my mini today!

Discussion in 'Reos Mods' started by aznfknpride, Apr 17, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. aznfknpride

aznfknpride Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 8, 2009
    Hawaii
    Loving it so far, except the juice I put in tastes like butterscotch or something (I guess what the previous owner was using).

Any suggestions on how to clean/get rid of the taste/smell? I tried running it under really hot water, and gonna try soaking it in vodka when I get home.

And where can I get some noalox? Any hardware store? And where to apply it?

Sorry for so many questions... Thanks in advance.

2. washvap

washvap Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Apr 2, 2011
    wa
    WELCOME TO THE TEAM!!!!!!!!!

Others have run into this problem and depending on the flavor. Can be really hard to remove. You should start with the o-ring inside of the bottle cap. It can be removed with a small paper clip. Clean it/soak with either vodka, PGA (pure grain alcohol), or 91% isopropyl alcohol. Then run some through the feed tube and well as soak the bottle.

Yes, Noalox can be bought from your local hardware store or the internet. It will be applied to the tip of the firing pin. Located on the inside of the REO. It's a flat piece of aluminum right under the button. Very hard to miss.

3. Rhapsodies Fire

Rhapsodies Fire ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Oct 18, 2010
    Bow, WA, USA
    Congratulations! :)

Here's a picture....
    To avoid any confusion, the firing pin is labeled as the positive battery contact. And washvap is right....the o-ring is the biggest culprit with lingering flavors.

[​IMG]

4. aznfknpride

Aug 8, 2009
    Hawaii
    Cool, thanks. That's the only place I need to apply, just the tip of the point on the ”firing pin”?

Hopefully I can get the damn taste out, really not a fan of butterscotch.

5. Rhapsodies Fire

Oct 18, 2010
    Bow, WA, USA
    No worries...you can get it out. Just takes a little cleaning to do the trick. Worst case, you can send it to Rob. He can take the taste out for sure. :)

Yep...the Noalox goes just on the tip...and not a lot either. Just a little dot will do.

6. redeyedancer

redeyedancer Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Feb 4, 2010
    Maine
    Lisa is correct if you cant get the smell out send it to me I will send it back clean and odorless welcome to the forum :)

7. Sterno

Sterno ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 12, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    i can send a new o-ring to you if you need it PM me your addy if you want it

8. aznfknpride

Aug 8, 2009
    Hawaii
    Appreciate the gesture, but what if you end up needing it later? Do you happen to know the size? I'm heading to the hardware store tomorrow for noalox anyways, maybe I can find one there. The seller gave me an extra feed tube and a smaller one that looks like it fits inside the feed tube, is that for thinner juices or something? If I can change the feedtube and o ring, pretty sure the taste will no longer be a problem.

But I will try the vodka first, getting that silicone tubing on the nipple sure looks like a PITA.

9. Rhapsodies Fire

Oct 18, 2010
    Bow, WA, USA
  10. aznfknpride

Aug 8, 2009
    Hawaii
    Thank you Rhapsodies. Seems I have already lost the o ring, LOL. Took it out and threw it in the cheap vodka and now I can't find it. Good news is... I pulled an o ring off of an ugly drip tip I'd never use and it looks like it'll work perfectly. Soaking the whole unit in vodka because I believe the smell/taste is trapped in the silicone tubing that's covering the positive contact at the top of the feed tube. Hopefully an over night soak does the trick, really want to use this thing again (without that dreaded butterscotch taste!!!)

11. Della Cirque

Della Cirque Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 1, 2011
    Deep East Texas
    Congratulations and Welcome to REOvil!
    Hope you are blissfully vaping non-butterscotch clouds soon!

12. TennDave

TennDave Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 19, 2010
    Knoxville, TN
    If you have a sonic cleaner, you might try it...put the whole mini (batts and atty removed) in a soak bath of warm sudsy water first for awhile...then blow it through your tubing...then rinse it and set the entire mod in an ultrasonic cleaner and go through 3-4 cycles (3 mins each).... I've been cleaning all my metal mods this way and it really works well. For the fluid in my cleaner I use 1/2 PG and 1/2 distilled water. Oh, and it works great for cleaning attys too!!

13. Sterno

Sterno ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 12, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    i have a whole bag of em :)

14. pmoraldo

pmoraldo REO Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 23, 2011
    Gilbert, Arizona
    i think Dave meant to say 1/2 PGA and 1/2 distilled water:)

15. aznfknpride

Aug 8, 2009
    Hawaii
    I definitely don't have an ultrasonic cleaner, but I may invest in one soon if it cleans as good as you say it will. I let it soak over night in cheap 80 proof vodka and it still has a butterscotch scent... I'm going to vape some Mister E Liquid med Menthol in the morning tomorrow to see if it kills the scent/taste. .... is really strong and I love it... I smoked Marlboro menthol lights and this stuff really kills my cravings. If it doesn't work, eh.. I'm about to get my girl a PCC kit where it is just easier to swap cartos to change flavors and keep the mini for myself. I will send it back to Rob if I have to, but I know I can get rid of the taste myself.... If not I will pass it along to a buddy of mine and just get the VV Grand as planned, lol. Been trying to get him analogs for a while now, but you can only lead a horse to the water...

16. whatitstrue

whatitstrue Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 16, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ.
    Congratulations and welcome!!!!!!!!!

This calls for a banana dance!!!!!!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Love to see a pic if you get a chance!!!

17. aznfknpride

Aug 8, 2009
    Hawaii
    DSCN7782.jpg

Didn't notice the taste with the menthol juice I stuck in there... switched back to Watermelon Ice for my girl and I can taste it again -____-;; Anyways, I may just send it back to Rob to be sure, would also like to snag a few spare parts.

18. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 18, 2012
    USA
    I can't imagine what would be stinking up your juice other than the cap,tube,or fitting. Should be a simple matter of getting new tubes,cap or cleaning.

Harbor Freight sells ultrasonic cleaners for cheap.

19. aznfknpride

Aug 8, 2009
    Hawaii
    I removed the feed tube and soaked it in 91% iso alcohol and the smell was slightly reduced, but still noticeable. I also changed the feed tube and swapped o rings after... taste is faint, but still there. Well, I removed the delrin cover on the inside and there is some Tygon tubing over the positive battery contact... I think that's where some juice got in and is causing the nasty flavor.

20. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 18, 2012
    USA
    White vinegar. Never used it on a PV myself, but have used it on stinky pet stains in the carpet. The vinegar does it's job and then is rinsed away with fresh water. Works great.

have heard of folks using it on PVs with great success.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.