Got my mini today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aznfknpride

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2009
Hawaii
Loving it so far, except the juice I put in tastes like butterscotch or something (I guess what the previous owner was using).

Any suggestions on how to clean/get rid of the taste/smell? I tried running it under really hot water, and gonna try soaking it in vodka when I get home.

And where can I get some noalox? Any hardware store? And where to apply it?

Sorry for so many questions... Thanks in advance.

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa
WELCOME TO THE TEAM!!!!!!!!!

Others have run into this problem and depending on the flavor. Can be really hard to remove. You should start with the o-ring inside of the bottle cap. It can be removed with a small paper clip. Clean it/soak with either vodka, PGA (pure grain alcohol), or 91% isopropyl alcohol. Then run some through the feed tube and well as soak the bottle.

Yes, Noalox can be bought from your local hardware store or the internet. It will be applied to the tip of the firing pin. Located on the inside of the REO. It's a flat piece of aluminum right under the button. Very hard to miss.

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
Congratulations! :)

Here's a picture....
To avoid any confusion, the firing pin is labeled as the positive battery contact. And washvap is right....the o-ring is the biggest culprit with lingering flavors.

MiniPurple2copy.jpg

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Cool, thanks. That's the only place I need to apply, just the tip of the point on the ”firing pin”?

Hopefully I can get the damn taste out, really not a fan of butterscotch.
Lisa is correct if you cant get the smell out send it to me I will send it back clean and odorless welcome to the forum :)

aznfknpride

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2009
Hawaii
i can send a new o-ring to you if you need it PM me your addy if you want it

Appreciate the gesture, but what if you end up needing it later? Do you happen to know the size? I'm heading to the hardware store tomorrow for noalox anyways, maybe I can find one there. The seller gave me an extra feed tube and a smaller one that looks like it fits inside the feed tube, is that for thinner juices or something? If I can change the feedtube and o ring, pretty sure the taste will no longer be a problem.

But I will try the vodka first, getting that silicone tubing on the nipple sure looks like a PITA.

aznfknpride

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2009
Hawaii
Thank you Rhapsodies. Seems I have already lost the o ring, LOL. Took it out and threw it in the cheap vodka and now I can't find it. Good news is... I pulled an o ring off of an ugly drip tip I'd never use and it looks like it'll work perfectly. Soaking the whole unit in vodka because I believe the smell/taste is trapped in the silicone tubing that's covering the positive contact at the top of the feed tube. Hopefully an over night soak does the trick, really want to use this thing again (without that dreaded butterscotch taste!!!)

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
If you have a sonic cleaner, you might try it...put the whole mini (batts and atty removed) in a soak bath of warm sudsy water first for awhile...then blow it through your tubing...then rinse it and set the entire mod in an ultrasonic cleaner and go through 3-4 cycles (3 mins each).... I've been cleaning all my metal mods this way and it really works well. For the fluid in my cleaner I use 1/2 PG and 1/2 distilled water. Oh, and it works great for cleaning attys too!!

Sterno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2010
Oklahoma City
www.reosmods.com
Appreciate the gesture, but what if you end up needing it later? Do you happen to know the size? I'm heading to the hardware store tomorrow for noalox anyways, maybe I can find one there. The seller gave me an extra feed tube and a smaller one that looks like it fits inside the feed tube, is that for thinner juices or something? If I can change the feedtube and o ring, pretty sure the taste will no longer be a problem.

But I will try the vodka first, getting that silicone tubing on the nipple sure looks like a PITA.
i have a whole bag of em :)

pmoraldo

REO Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gilbert, Arizona
If you have a sonic cleaner, you might try it...put the whole mini (batts and atty removed) in a soak bath of warm sudsy water first for awhile...then blow it through your tubing...then rinse it and set the entire mod in an ultrasonic cleaner and go through 3-4 cycles (3 mins each).... I've been cleaning all my metal mods this way and it really works well. For the fluid in my cleaner I use 1/2 PG and 1/2 distilled water. Oh, and it works great for cleaning attys too!!

i think Dave meant to say 1/2 PGA and 1/2 distilled water:)

aznfknpride

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2009
Hawaii
I definitely don't have an ultrasonic cleaner, but I may invest in one soon if it cleans as good as you say it will. I let it soak over night in cheap 80 proof vodka and it still has a butterscotch scent... I'm going to vape some Mister E Liquid med Menthol in the morning tomorrow to see if it kills the scent/taste. .... is really strong and I love it... I smoked Marlboro menthol lights and this stuff really kills my cravings. If it doesn't work, eh.. I'm about to get my girl a PCC kit where it is just easier to swap cartos to change flavors and keep the mini for myself. I will send it back to Rob if I have to, but I know I can get rid of the taste myself.... If not I will pass it along to a buddy of mine and just get the VV Grand as planned, lol. Been trying to get him analogs for a while now, but you can only lead a horse to the water...

aznfknpride

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2009
Hawaii
I removed the feed tube and soaked it in 91% iso alcohol and the smell was slightly reduced, but still noticeable. I also changed the feed tube and swapped o rings after... taste is faint, but still there. Well, I removed the delrin cover on the inside and there is some Tygon tubing over the positive battery contact... I think that's where some juice got in and is causing the nasty flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread