Greetings!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! So I have been a hardcore smoker for about 34 years, I smoked anywhere from a pack and half to two packs a day. I also come from a long line of smokers; my father smoked (until his heart attack), my step-father smoked (until his heart attack), both grandfathers smoked (until they passed away from lung cancer), one of my grandmothers smoked (until she passed away from lung cancer), I have one uncle who currently smokes, and my mother smoked (until she was diagnosed with lung cancer). I had tried vaping a few times before in an attempt to stop smoking but was never successful. That was until a few weeks ago when I was sitting on my mothers front porch smoking while my Mom was sitting in her living room resting after coming home from receiving her chemo treatment. Walking back into the house a commercial came on, for the life of me I can't remember what it was selling, but it was the one about how they decided to quit smoking after leaving their fathers hospital room to go smoke.
Something about that hit me, and I made it my mission to stop! So after returning home from visiting my parents, I live in VA my parents live in SC, I hit up my local vape shop. I already had a mod (SMOK Procolor) that one of my sons had left at my house, but no tank. I bought a Crown III tank, and some juice.
Having a few packs of cigarettes left I made it a vow that on that Friday as soon as I got home would be the day that I would start my new journey, and that I did! I have been smoke-free for almost a week now, and the same pack of cigarettes with three or four cigarettes still sits in my garage by the door.
My wife has now decided that she is going to quit smoking and join me on my journey, and so this Friday back to the local vape shop to let her pick her mod, tank, and juice! One more thing one of my best friends has decided that if I can do it so can he, so he has started vaping along with about half the people I use to go smoke with. Now instead of standing around in the cold smoking and complaining we now stand around in the cold vaping and talking about what juice everyone is using and how it tastes.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Great story!! Good luck to you, your wife, and your friends.

My story is similar to yours. I had smoked a pack per day for over 35 years. Tried to quit using the gum, patches, prescription drugs, and even hypnosis. Nothing worked.

One day while stopping off at the convenience store for my usual pack of cigs, I noticed a display for the disposable cigalike NJOY ecigarette. I thought, maybe give it a try...bought one and a pack of cigs. The cigalike wasn't great, but not that bad either. I decided to do some research and Google found this forum for me. Learned a LOT about vaping here on ECF.

It took a week of dual use, but after that week I was finally smoke-free. Its been 7 years and counting. I can't say that I miss the cigs at all. But my health has greatly improved and I found myself a new hobby -- vaping.

I suggest that your wife read my blog, Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper, so that she doesn't go into the vape shop "blind" and uninformed.

Welcome to the forum and don't be a stranger.

Last edited:

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
Welcome Snappy...

After 5+ years of trying numerous Mods, Tanks and ejuices...I can only tell you what my current favorite vape gear is...

I'm a MTL vaper...(MTL = Mouth To Lung...the way most people smoke cigarettes)…I start at 6-7Watts...then increase to 10-11Watts as needed...

Current Favorite Mod...Wismec Sinuous P80
Current Favorite Tank...Innokin Zenith
Current Favorite Out&About Set-Up...Goby
Current Favorite Ejuice...Umbavape WTA...(I use WTA-12mg.)

To get prices on these...check Vapecrawler …(and The Blends - flavored e-liquid - standard USP nicotine or WTA )

:2c:

Last edited:

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Congrats on being smoke-free for almost a week. Stick with it and before you know months will turn into years. That's a pretty scary family history! I think it's great that others in your circle are quitting as well.

I smoked for a similar period of time and was a heavy puffer. For me, once I went to vaping I did not smoke at all. Everyone is different but I did not dual use - I just needed to stop and recently passed my 6th vapeversary. Sounds like you are doing great - continued good luck in your vaping journey.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Something about that hit me, and I made it my mission to stop!
Welcome and glad you joined.
Vaping Advantages:
Health
Taste (flavors)
Cost
Cleanliness
No stink, self,clothes, environment
Hobby
Fun
Stealthy
Less negative social stigma
Promote new like minded friendships