• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Group Conscience

Status
Not open for further replies.

bear

Apr 25, 2009
Orlando, Fl
Wow, I must say, I was quite surprised when I saw this sub-group. I was just logging on the forums real quick to check what one drop of extra high liquid was equivalent to, having just received my first e-cig. At any rate, my two pennies... There is not a way to make a 2nd moderator for the group? I've seen that in other forums. Or, is the issue the fact that said moderator would have to be a member of the group? Why not ask one who frequents the forums often? If that is not feasible, what about the actual e-cigarette-forum.com moderator(s) of the. If it is only one, then that would be too much to ask, but if there are others, why not? If it's not possible to give a few members the ability to be a moderator, then, I don't know. Maybe an account could be created, where only a few trusted members(servants)had the pw, that could be used to approve requests. For all that I just said, I'm honestly not so concerned. I haven't checked how many people are in this group, yet. But, from what I've seen, people at the forums seem to be very friendly. I'm not sure how often you all logon, and I'm assuming most of us have non-cyber AA lives. One of the few reasons I can think of to make it private is for the long-distance people, or bed-ridden, who can't physically attend an AA meeting. I have been in that situation in a small town in Europe. There is lamp-lighters for that and all the online AA meetings. At first, as I was reading your guys' posts I was leaning towards private, but now that i've rambled on, it's probably fine(maybe better)the way it is.

And about the post where somebody mentioned AA has no monopoly on recovery(I believe the book actually refers to G-d)in regards to people posting about other methods of getting sober, etc. Well, the group ideally wouldn't be called 'friends of Bill W.' in that case. A lot of people are very sensitive about that, as a couple of you already stated your 'secret'. I am fine with it, in the sense of personal tolerance and sensitivity. I have two aunts and two uncles with long-term sobriety in AA. I also have an uncle who has long-term sobriety, outside of AA. He is not a dry-drunk, he is very content with his life. I talked to him about this and, yes, he stated it wouldn't have been possible without G-d(he is also into his religion). When I was younger, I justified not following the suggestions given me by the rehab I was in, by citing my uncle. I firmly believe AA is not the only way(aside from personal experience and observation, just read 'Varieties of Religious Experience' cited by Bill W., for further proof). But it sure as hell has the best success rate--in terms of efficacy, and in terms of not driving someone away. So, having people talk about other ways of getting sober might be detrimental to a newcomer's ability to get sober. Of course, my not getting sober early on wasn't because of my uncle and my using him as justification, I simply was not ready. However, if this group is to function under the title of 'friends of Bill W.' then it might be a good idea to have some guidelines. I don't know, I'd have to ask my sponsor his opinion. Not really.

Although I wouldn't care either way, I just thought I'd throw in some jibberish to put in your pipe and smoke, while slightly introducing myself.

Best,
Tim

kaystoys

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
New Milford, CT
Hello and Thank you for starting this group!I am just about to order my 1st e-cig and have a frew questions/Maybe you can tell me where to ask them?
I am looking at the JOYE 510. Now, does this hook up to my USB? instead of just a plug in battery charger? And what the heck is a pass through? Will I need one?
Sorry to be such a dummie!
Kaystoys
06/01/74

Vince1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2009
Down South, USA.
Hi Kay, welcome to the group. The pass through is to plug into your computer to power your 510 so you don't use up your batteries at home and to give a little better performance by increasing the voltage a little.
The 510 is a great choice, I use mine at work all day.
For info on the 510/yeti/Titan/dura (all the same) go to Joye 510 - e-cigarette-forum.com • The place for electronic cigarette reviews, news and chat

For the best deal- http://widowsbeadwork.com/Ecig.html $50 shipped.

Please post any future e-cig questions in the new members forum or general discussion. And again, welcome.

Last edited:

kaystoys

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
New Milford, CT
Hi again, got lost asking e-cig questions. I was tickled to see this group! I can ask any stupid questions I have and not feel too dumb! LOL
The above date is my sobriety date 06/01/74. Had a touching and wonderful anniversary yesterday at my home group here in CT. I'm retired, nothing to lose and by now everyone I know, knows where I stand on A.A. I even have 3 grandkids in the rooms. Kids are a different situation....talk about resistance! Anyway an open meeting is OK by me. :) For anyone new, you can't beat this A.A. life!

Hi again, got lost asking e-cig questions. I was tickled to see this group! I can ask any stupid questions I have and not feel too dumb! LOL
The above date is my sobriety date 06/01/74. Had a touching and wonderful anniversary yesterday at my home group here in CT. I'm retired, nothing to lose and by now everyone I know, knows where I stand on A.A. I even have 3 grandkids in the rooms. Kids are a different situation....talk about resistance! Anyway an open meeting is OK by me. :) For anyone new, you can't beat this A.A. life!

Hi All, I'm Debi, alcoholic/addict. Been clean and sober since May 28th, 1993. I'm not too sure why there is a question of annomity in a e-cig forum. Are we going to have 12 step meetings? Or are we going to be a social group with a common bond? Since we all use user names instead of our real names, it shouldn't matter....should it? Forgive me but I am so confused......(normal state I'm afraid, lol):confused:

kaystoys

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
New Milford, CT
You are sooo smart!
Of course that would be the 1st question the group needs to decide! LOL! Right now I am all for a social group. I am just starting on the e-cig route and that is where I will be needing the help.
I suppose we could have a thread that is a plain old meeting, and another for socializing, and another for e-cig stuff. However, like regular meetings, I think it will pretty much depend on who has the time and is willing to be in charge of the threads.
I hope someone will keep me posted so I know "which roon to go into!":confused:
Kay
(06/01/74)

kathyst

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
San Diego, CA
Hi. My name's Kathy and I'm an alcoholic. Sober since 5/12/85. But man do I love my espresso and cigs (soon to be e-cigs!).

I was glad to find this sub-group just because it's a special part of my life, the sober part, and I like being with people who are hip to that. I'm not exactly a 12-stepper, though. I didn't do AA when I quit drinking, though I had attended lots of meetings before I quit, wanting to quit. (Just like I'm on the e-cig forum before my starter kit even arrives :)

I don't have a considered opinion about whether this sub-group should be open or closed. I think open, based on the situation with the gay group as commented on above -- if the moderator isn't available or something. It doesn't seem to me like there are hoards of people wanting to troll the Friends of Bill W. sub-group of this e-cig forum, are there? But others would know this better than I.

Thanks for listening.

kathy

Father Luke reporting for duty.

My date of Sobriety is November 7th, 1988.

In the last few years I have given up a 3 - 4 pack a day Lucky Strike
non-filters habit, given up sugar, gave up coffee, turned vegetarian,
and I am soon going to be vaping a zero nicotine prodigy.

I sponsor people, and I want to remind anyone who hasn't worked the
steps, or if they are aren't sure that this is the right place for them,
you will probably fit in just fine. The only thing that really matters is
that somewhere along the line you decided to stop drinking.

Glad to be here.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

Hi, I'm Sue, a new vaper and an old alcoholic addict. Sobriety date 3/12/89. I am so happy to have found vaping. I have not had a whole analog since last week sometime. Friday, I lit one and it was so nasty I put it out. I like vaping so much better! I have a SE I got at the mall and a Screwdriver I got last week. I like the SE for sitting in traffic as I'm paranoid someone will think the SD is a crack pipe.

Thanks for starting this forum. I wondered where I would hang out. 12-step forum suits me well!

Mossman

Jun 16, 2009
Lowell, MA
Hey all, I'm Ed, and I'm an alcoholic... I just celebrated my 3 year anniversary (or "birthday" in some parts) last week.

I was pretty jazzed when I saw "Friends of Bill W." among the groups! I've been coming to this forum off-and-on for about 2 months now, and didn't even know this sub-forum existed until today..

I say keep it open... I've never heard of any non-alcoholics disrupting an open AA meeting out in the "real world", and if anyone did that here, they'd just be making an ... of themselves.... In terms of anonymity; I feel a lot less anonymous at an actual AA meeting than I do here... But I'm a firm believer in rule 62, and I don't care who knows I'm an alcoholic, anyway...

Personally, I liked the fact that I could roll up and start posting, without having to wait for an approval process.

Hi all, I'm Cate and I'm an alcoholic.
I'm glad that this group is open and not dependent upon requests to join. As someone said before me, we do all have screen names, and don't have to link any of our real life information to our accounts. Since we're not really here to have meetings, simply to have a gathering place for those of us that have something more in common than just using e-cigarettes, I don't see a need for this to be closed. (But if you are looking for forum recovery, soberrecoverydotcom/forums/ is a great place for both AA and NA. And since I'm new here I can't post the actual link. :rolleyes: )
Thank you all for being here!
Cate

Mr. Tasty Vapor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
My take.

While I have no problem announcing that I'm a friend of Bill W. I do so because I was a very open drunk f-up. And I don't mind who knows what I've done, what I've been through and the solutions I've found.

However, I'm announcing this on an e-cig forum, not AA. If one is truly concerned about maintaining their anonymity, announcing affiliations to 12-step programs on a public forum might not be the place for this.

If anonymity is a concern, get a consensus and act on that.

If not, hell, my vote...I could care less, this is an e-cig forum.

Debbie Lee

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Burbank Ca.
I feel the same way you do. I have no problem as of yet breaking my own anonimity People everywhere I go in a social setting where there is alcohol know where I come from and are behind me 100% and don't take it personal that I am a recoved alcy. not cured but recovered from a hopeless state of mind and body. that said I am fine with this so far being open. I am very happy I have 25 years of sobriety and thank God for it and meetings all 12 steps in a row ad infinitum......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread