Gunk out of Atomizer (photos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyMonk

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
After months of following threads and personal expermenting, I tried something really obvious last night and it worked. I soaked my atomizer, which was blackish looking in PG for about 7 hrs. at this point.

There is a visible dark amber bottom layer both in the container and in the atomizer and the wire mesh has gone back to silver grey

Below are the photos:
1. entire container
2. enhanced and cropped photo #1
3. close up atomizer
4. enhanced and cropped photo #2

Attachments

• 012a.jpg
    012a.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 516
  • 012cropped.JPG
    012cropped.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 452
  • 013a.jpg
    013a.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 476
  • 013cropped.JPG
    013cropped.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 469

MonkeyMonk

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
I do not suggest a PG soak for painted atomizers

We had a family party that night and I get nervous around people. So, I honestly do not know if I blew the atomizer out or not.

I delayed in posting because I have been running many tests and trying to keep track of what I am doing. I also started using a control atomizer (no cleaning just keeping moist and upside down at night.)

First, I would not suggest the PG for black painted atomizers. I believe it alligators the paint, which will cause the paint to flake off. Remember, there could be lead in the paint. Lead is an inexpensive additive for rapidly drying paint. (I oil paint as a hobby and it is still allowed in some of the oil paints. It is a great additive to speed drying times.)

Second, I had been looking for a way to safely remove the PG from the atomizer. I am now using a hot water soak (the water is boiling hot, but not actively boiling. I nuke mine in the microwave and just take the cup out and plop the addy's in), alcohol soak in the highest grain alcohol available (this will mess-up black paint on the atomizers... some of mine survived, some the paint comes off on the 1st soak. Prior to discovering a PG soak, I used to do the grain alcohol soak followed by the hot water baths.), and a final hot water bath in an ultrasonic cleaning machine. The link to the machine I use is: Amazon.com: Professional Ultrasonic Jewelry and Eyeglass Cleaner Cleaning Machine: Electronics . Credit to: olderthandirt for posting the link in a different thread.

Further, the above atomizer had been used with PG and VG, so I wanted to find out which was being removed or if both were being removed. So far, I only have results on the PG. And, I have not only manually blown out the atomizers but I have used several shots of compressed air when blowing them out. So much so that I killed an atomizer with compressed air.

The results on a PG atomizer:
1. The PG turns uniformly a very pale amber. (I do not think a picture will show the slight amber very well)
2. The atomizer worked better than when it was new. It went right back up to what I would consider 100% vapor production.

I will be trying a VG atomizer, but I never use 100% VG. I always have just 1 drop of Trog's fluid, so the results might be skewed a bit.

(BTW. A friend of mine told me that PG was good for cleaning the porcelin in your bathroom... I've yet to try it, but I have one spot in one of our bathrooms that always drives me nuts... so, it's on the list.)

Last edited:

MonkeyMonk

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
A suggestion, for black addy's, if someone would like to help me because it's last on my list of never-ending-to-do's.

Fill all the way to the brim the inside of an empty cart with just PG and soak for 24-48 hours, re-topping off as needed to ensure contact with PG.

Or if someone, with metal working skills can make a closed end cylinder that will fit inside the addy and contain the fluid and not injure the bridge, that would be tops!

Anyone want to volunteer to try to find a method for a PG soak for those people with painted addy's?

MonkeyMonk

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Sun, the paint varies by manufacturer. I had one paint job come off one when wiping down with an alcohol wipe.

The other part, I can't explain... besides blowing, do you do anything else first? How long do you use an addy before you clean it. Mine is about 4-6hrs tops (2addys/day...just thought about today, I switched out 3X and I was just debating about switching this one out. So maybe it's mor like 3-4 addys/day). Could it be the point at which we stop using the addy and clean them?

Last edited:

MonkeyMonk

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
I just took a new picture, it's the 4th addy soaked in this PG. All were blown out really good. Next to it is a grain alcohol container that was used for 3 of the addys. I put it in the picture because it looks clear and there will be some type of comparison.

Since, I have some black DSE901, I'll photo on the next one to "alligator" in the PG. Right now the one black one that I am using survived both the alcohol and the PG... but, most of mine haven't ... in alcohol they flake and/or rub off and in PG they alligator. I'll post a photo on the next one I use that does that.

(Sorry, Hubby needed me, so I have to edit and add)
Relative to the photo, for one addy, you need to imagine 1/4 of the amber color.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread