Had to share....

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphafemale

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Marshall, Michigan
Drew, you can take this down in a day or two but I had to share this with you all.

Pet owners: please take your animal on a perimeter walk around your property to help spread its scent. This will help to keep the vermin out of your yard.

A muskrat (first we have seen in 23 years here) wandered into our yard last night and fought with Sable. We were used to opposums and raccoons but not muskrats. The hybrids were tough enough to hold their own, but not our husky.

When we arrived at the emergency vets they told us it would be a bit because they had 2 weiner dogs that had gotten attacked by a coyote (they are ok). As we waited, a lab/retriever mix came in bleeding terribly from it's nose victim of a muskrat (he is ok).

Here are pics of poor Sable, 1 before repairs and 2 after.

Attachments

• Sablebefore.jpg
    Sablebefore.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Sableafter1.jpg
    Sableafter1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Sableafter2.jpg
    Sableafter2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 59

Aunt Cranky

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2010
Chicagoland
so much for "Muskrat Love" :nah: Poor Sable. She really is a beauty.

In one pic she looks really ...... off that she wasn't the one who got to take the vermin down...

I have an American Eskimo dog who is really as dumb as a stump. He's been around the whole yard and it doesn't keep the skunks out of it.

I have to be on constant guard against them because Kai would just charge after the skunk thinking it was a black squirrel with a bigger tail.

alphafemale

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Marshall, Michigan
LMAO-we call them stinky black and white kitties! Been there and done that several times including once with Sable. No fight just a spray.

Too bad for muskrat Sam-no more jitterbug for him! Looks like Suzie is now a solo act :)

Thanks for the complement Aunt Cranky. Hopefully there won't be much scarring. In the pic with my hand holding her head up she was ....... Tired of having to get her pic taken.

alphafemale

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Marshall, Michigan
Thank you debook. Oddly enough this one has only chewed the corner off the blanket on our bed. The female hybrid we had chewed a pair of shoes, the foot rest on a reclining chair and 3 arm covers off the furniture.

Out of 4 dogs total, past and present, only 2 have ever gotten sprayed.

Happy to hear your Akita protected your daughter-that's part of what it's all about.

debook

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
CO
Thank you debook. Oddly enough this one has only chewed the corner off the blanket on our bed. The female hybrid we had chewed a pair of shoes, the foot rest on a reclining chair and 3 arm covers off the furniture.

Out of 4 dogs total, past and present, only 2 have ever gotten sprayed.

Happy to hear your Akita protected your daughter-that's part of what it's all about.

I've actually been sprayed more than the dog...figures!

Drewsworld

Resting In Peace
Mar 14, 2009
New Jersey
www.nhaler.com
Hmm...sorry to hear yer furry friends have had run ins with wildlife.

We have a 125lb Akita and he has chased off racoons, skunks(with no spray), a bear, and one mountain lion while my daughter was with him.

He also chewed up a pair of my glasses yesterday, good with the bad I guess.

LMAO^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Glad your Pups allright Alpha...I think she fared just fine...Im sure if you didnt intervene the results would have been the same...Dogs are amazing animals and even the most timid will surprise you when it comes to survival...Big hugs for you and the Pup((((((((HUGS)))))))))

Last edited:
My Dad's old mal used to hunt mice in the field, it was an effing laugh fest watching this giant furball acting like a cat with a catnip toy.

So glad your pups are good and on the mend, the other thought balloon you missed was "wow you stink I wanna roll in you!" for some odd reason every mal and husky I have known had the overwhelming desire to roll in putrid stuff.

alphafemale

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Marshall, Michigan
Dred-must be a mal/husky trait to be cat like! Sable does that with mice and bugs. I think dogs in general just like to roll in the stinky stuff. She couldn't get to the carcus, daddy made sure it landed outside of her reach and it didn't get a chance to rot much before he removed it from the property.

Thank you for the well wishes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread