Status
Not open for further replies.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
hey everyone. I got an order of diy juice and flavors and whatnot today.
found a nice couple of calculators on line, they both told me the same thing...
so I set out to add some nicotine, vg and pg, and ry4 flavoring to a juice bottle.
unfortunately after following the recipe for 10ml PRECICELY I have ended up with a quarter of a 10ml bottle?

I dont get it? I counted every drop as it went into the bottle.
here was my recipe:

48mg 20vg/80pg nicotine base
target nicotine: 12mg
amount to create: 10ml
water: 0
flavor: 10%

I put 50 drops of the 48mg nicotine
I put 73 drops of PG
I put 47 drops of VG
and then the calculator said 30 drops of flavor but i only put 12 beccause I saw that this bottle was not gonna be full and I knew I did something wrong. I dont understand what I did wrong though. My drops were just drops from a e-liquid bottle but they were all pretty darn close to being the same amount. I dont understand why i only have filled a quarter of a 10ml bottle?

Glock Rock

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2012
Indiana
It's likely because different liquids with different viscosities require a different amount of drops to equal 1 ml. Honestly, your best bet is go to your local pharmacy and ask for 1 ml/cc oral syringes. These are usually handed out for free, since a needle doesn't fit on them and they're primarily used to administer to small animals and children. A syringe is by and far a more accurate way of measuring than drops.

john333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Indiana
i'm new to DIY too. i dont think i'll use the dropper method but rather a syringe to get an exact amount. to me it sounds like you dont have enough pg and vg base. but...like i said i'm new to this too. just got a gallon each of pg and vg today. got some glassware on the way. been waiting to order some flavors. would like to have some recipes first to know what flavors to get. i'm having a hard time finding recipes. do you know where theres a list or something that has - tried and true tested yes this is good - recipes! i dont really want to just start making what other people happen to say is good but maybe i'll have to.

YKruss

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
Springfield, VA
Last edited:

Blackbeard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2012
Buffalo, WV
I'm fairly new to DIY as well. I use the disposable pipettes, syringes, and graduated cylinders from Wizard Labs. I never use drops unless the recipe calls for something like 1% or less of something. I have tested the pipettes with water to see how many drops are in a milliliter, and use this as a basis, even though the drops per milliliter will vary between any number of variables. I don't use the markings on the pipettes and rarely on the syringes as a measuring basis, only the cylinder is my defining measuring tool.

A 10 ml cylinder is very easy to use with percentages. If I need 50% nic juice, I fill the graduated cylinder to 5ml, etc.

Last edited:

Merlin21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Hey Plumes..... Couple of questions. What calculator are you using and have you measured how many drops equal to 1 ml?

ML's have always worked for me. Syringes and pipettes have always come out between 38-40 drops per 1ML. Personally I use 3ml and 1 ml syringes

I just used ejuicemeup calculator for your recipe with 40 drops per ML and it came out to

Nic 2.5ml - 100 drops
PG 2ml - 80 drops
VG 4.5ml - 180 drops
Drhy4 1ml - 40 drops

This for a 50-50 PG/VG blend

After thinking about all the drops that have to be used.... I would rather chew on tin foil than have to do that :unsure:

Last edited:

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
yeah I bought a couple syringes but they haven't come yet which is weird because i ordered them from the same company i ordered the juices from. I'm still waiting on Syringes, stainless mesh, and my Evolve Kick module. I'm really worried it got lost in the mail or stolen from my mailbox because people have been stealing from my mailbox + the vehicles parked out front of my home. I hope not.

but until then I was sick and tired of using the same two juices I had so I wanted to make an easy mixture. I bought RY4 so I figured the RY4 flavor was already mixed into the flavoring bottle and I'd just have to follow the recipe a calculator gave me.

I used this calculator: E-Liquid Recipe Name

I think when you click the link I just gave you it should show you exactly what I did.
Idk i'm vaping it and it seems fine lol. Just doesn't taste like RY4 it tastes like chai tea :p

Last edited:

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
I just made some goood key lime pie with key lime, sweetener, gram cracker and a spot of minty. yum.
But I don't really know what mg nicotine it is. I really need my syringes to come in the mail tomorrow.
I sent a letter to the company I ordered from. I'm really hoping my package will be here tomorrow.
Maybe the mailman didn't put it in my mailbox because my mailbox was stuffed full of my other packages today.
Hoping my Kick, Stainless Mesh, and Syringes will be in it tomorrow morning!

Shilo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
Here & There
You need the 1ml and a larger syringe for pg/vg and nic juice and all will be well. I only use drops for the flavorings if I am making a very small amount like 3 ml. Never use drops for any of the other ingredients. I agree very much on the ease of the cylinders at Wizard Labs once you get your recipes perfected and want to make a bigger bottle.

glassmanoak

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
Lafayette, La
The number of drops per ml is different for liquids of different viscosity (thickness). The pipettes I use have 40 drops per ml of PG. I don't use a pipette for VG.. it is just too thick!.
Also, when using the calculator, put in RY4 as 100% PG, not 90%.
Your initial attempt would give you something close to the correct recipe (except for the VG). You should be able to get a good idea of taste with some steeping. Wait for your syringes to arrive. Use the largest bore needles for the VG, of course. (12 guage or 14 guage)
Take the time to put all the correct values in the calculator and use the save feature on that particular calculator for your record keeping. It's a good calculator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread