hammer mod. is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rucni

ECF Veteran
i have been looking for ways to advance my vaping pleasure for a little while now. and have set my mind on getting a kayfun clone. now the question of the day is should i get a hammer mod clone. to be honest i have a vamo v3 and i love it. but i really really like the pics i have seen of the kayfun 3.1 clone on the hammer mod clone. but i dont know if the hammer mod is worth getting. so my friends and holder of knowledge greater than my own what are your thoughts. TO HAMMER OR NOT TO HAMMER??

ps if i can find a bundle whats the most i should pay for the kayfun clone and hammer mod clone.

porkchopbun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2013
Northern CALI, USA
Most of the reviews for the good hammer clones are for the HCigar verison...not the Tobeco or ones, there are complaints on the firing pins and tube extensions..

I would go on Youtube and see their comments...they aren't jumping out the underoos over it but they aren't saying it's a bad vape either

Springbrook

Verified Member
Dec 18, 2013
Minneapolis,MN
I have the tobeca hammer clone from 101 -- the blemished -- and it was a great deal, with hardly any noticeable blemishes at all. The tubes and threading are good, at least in mine, its built well, and vapes well. The spring switch on mine is good as is, but I might get magnets anyway. The two issues are that the vent holes in the device don't line up with the vent holes in the battery tube (which I think ultimately isn't more than an aesthetic issue, it is vented) and that there's a noticeable voltage drop. A bunch of people here and elsewhere suggest replacing the top cap with a chi you flat top cap to deal with the voltage drop, (available at Fasttech for something like 4 bucks with silver plated brass pin, find it in drop down menu under chi you) so I ordered one and am waiting. I love vaping with it. It fits nice in the hand, is super heavy and solid, looks cool, and even with the voltage drop it gives a great vape. I think its totally worth having.

zipflint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Spartanburg, SC
I've been hemming and hawing about a Hammer clone too. Since it seems like the HCigar clone is the best, I'll go with that one. I've seen photos where some of the "engravings" aren't engraved at all, and are smudging after very little use. That would bum me out.

Prices I'm seeing for the HCigar are around $60. Anyone got a source that chaper than that? AND that includes the extension tubes?

FearTX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Outside of Austin, The Republic of Texas
The authentic Kato Hammer is a beautiful piece that does well for general vaping, it has some Vdrop issues that shouldn't be of much concern as you are using an 18350 as it comes and shouldn't be subohming. It is beautiful, does what it does and looks good doing it.

The clones all have the same or worse Vdrop, and other issues.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
A Hammer clone is a very nice addition to ones daily vape, imho. I got a cheap Tobeco one from Fasttech. It's been one of my most used mods since I got it a month or two ago. There's something about a mod that you can hold differently than your average tube mod, regardless of button placement. It rests very nicely in my hand. I actually like using it with a 18490 battery, too.

The voltage drop out of the box was not good. I recommend either getting a Chi You top cap to go with it, or just to tinker a little and replace the positive pin with whatever you got on hand.

If I wasn't a bit overloaded on mods, I'd get another in a heartbeat.

Edit: I don't care about looks or the random gap between tubes, etc on mine. It's a 100% at-home purely functional mod for me. And don't forget to get a long drip tip to go along with it. It's the icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread