Harsh vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olix

Jun 18, 2018
Hi, I got a new tank, the Themis rta mesh version. I put some mesh and cotton and juiced it up as good as i could, I filled the tank.

When I vape more than once every minute, I get kind-of a harsh vape, and when i smell inside the drip tip, I get a very harsh tingly sensation. When I chain vape a little more, I get a very harsh vape on the inhale, very different from the usual throat hit.

I use it at 21 watts. When i fire it at 30-35 wats I get almost a dry hit, and at 50 watts I think it's pretty much a full blown dry hit. That is strange, given that the mesh "coil" inside reads 0.12 ohm

I also have another rebuildable tank, and it doesn't give me dry hits, but it also has a harsh kinda burning sensation when I smell it from the drip tip after a vape or two. I also have a cubis tank (use it with the 0.6 ohm resistance) and it never has that smell

Do you know what could that be ? Do you think it could be a nic hit ? Up until now, I only vaped .4 ohm resistances or higher and at 20-25 watts. Thank you for any help or opinion. I really don't want to be vaping at 20-25 watts and after years find out that I was inhaling burnt coil or cotton little by little because of bad tanks or coils or cotton

Thank you again.

Reactions: stols001

Olix

Jun 18, 2018
I tried doing it like DJLsb vapes, but didn't dry fired it. You think it could help ? I didn't do this at first because I used SS
I don't use (and never have used) a mesh RTA but I build and have multiple rebuildable tanks..

From your description, your using too much cotton.. try using less.

This video from the 4 minute mark might help

It could be that, cause when I primed it it vaped just fine, and the flavor was insane also, not even a hint of a dry hit.
I put some 0 nic yesterday and tried it now and it seems to vape just fine, although the flavor is a bit muted.
I'll try cutting some of the cotton from the juice flow holes. Thanks

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
It could be that, cause when I primed it it vaped just fine, and the flavor was insane also, not even a hint of a dry hit.
I put some 0 nic yesterday and tried it now and it seems to vape just fine, although the flavor is a bit muted.

As an FYI, the flavor always seems more muted when you use zero nicotine. There is something about nicotine that contributes to flavor somehow.. you can easily get used to zero nicotine though, it's only different at first.

As for dry firing.. you don't "dry" fire if your using cotton, you always want your cotton to be saturated in ejuice or it will just burn.

What Denali is talking about is to fire when your all primed with the cap off so you can see if your getting any hot spots.. with a wicked and primed coil and cotton you shouldn't have any areas of your coil that are glowing red..

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have not vaped mesh, full disclosure. I have found with wicks sometimes, less is more. Too much wicking can actually REDUCE wicking, because the wick works via capillary action and if I thin my tails and keep them the right length, wicking moves FASTER because there is less wick to suck juice up into the coil.

How that plays out with mesh, I have no clue. However, remember cotton swells a bit when wicked. Rayon actually shrinks. I love rayon I feel it performs better, for longer, and can withstand higher wattages than cotton. Change outs are shorter with cotton (IMHO) although some folks just like it better and etc.

I would work on your wicking, and remember airflow and juice and wattage all play a role as well.

Best of luck,

Anna

Reactions: Opinionated

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
The Themis is a nice tank but the wicking is terrible. Your wick is too packed. Try opening the wick before rolling it under your coil. Pack it more lightly than you would a conventional coil. You have more surface.
Also, what gage mesh are you using? 80? Try more 200. I had some remains of the Genny era.
Of the two I like the Vandy Vape Mesh 24 a better tank. Standing up wicks better. Please, let me know how it turns out.

Reactions: stols001

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I tried doing it like DJLsb vapes, but didn't dry fired it. You think it could help ? I didn't do this at first because I used SS

Flavor is not bad but not stellar either. Until I do some research with cellucotton.

Olix

Jun 18, 2018
The Themis is a nice tank but the wicking is terrible. Your wick is too packed. Try opening the wick before rolling it under your coil. Pack it more lightly than you would a conventional coil. You have more surface.
Also, what gage mesh are you using? 80? Try more 200. I had some remains of the Genny era.
Of the two I like the Vandy Vape Mesh 24 a better tank. Standing up wicks better. Please, let me know how it turns out.

I kinda did something mixed. I cut off some of the wick that i've inserted into the juice holes. It's much better now. I've had this problem on another tank that I used with regular coils. I found out that it's better to insert only 50 to 75 % (very aproximately :)) ) of the cotton in the holes compared to through the coil. I applied that to the themis and it works much better now.

Turns out the holes don't need that much fiber, only the coil :?:;)

I considered the mesh24 at first but was a bit scared of the spitting, probably would've been a better buy after all.

Reactions: Susaz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread