Has anyone compared a 902 and an ego?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coralie

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2009
USA, Chicago area
Has anyone tried both an ego/tornado/riva/maxx (Hope I didn't leave any of the myriad of names out) AND a modern vapor 902? I am looking for a comparison of the two, strengths and weaknesses, personal experience and preferences...

Maybe a little background would be helpful? I currently adore a sidesho and a 510+chuck, obviously for different reasons. I started with a 901, then a 510, then the two mentioned above. My husband is content with a 510, regular battery. I've been vaping since August, he has since January I think. Neither of us has completely given up analogs although we have reduced our intake.

coralie

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2009
USA, Chicago area
A reply! I thought maybe I posted in the wrong forum, or missed a component of etiquette or something.

I really like the sidesho. That's why I posted here, because I am devoted to it, and am thinking of trying a 902 atty. Would it work with the sidesho batteries I have or with the 510 batteries I have? Does it have advantages over a 510 atty (better taste, maybe?) that might improve the experience for my dh?

I would love if he found the sweet spot for vaping.

Last edited:

cainne

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2010
Houston
Hmm...

Well personally I stick to cartos because of the convenience. Frankly I think I'd be close to quitting or going back to cloves if I had to deal with carts and attys again. I just hated the mess of filling them up and the inconsistent draws; gurbly and fluidy one minute, dry a few later. Just not my personal cup of tea.

That however isn't what you asked.

I can say this: I have a 902 atty. I just plugged it into my sidesho batt and pressed the little ole button and yep, it glows. So yes, a 902 atty would work with a sidesho batt. Advantages? Not many I could think of beyond 2. One it is larger and holds more fluid. Two you could get a Low Resistance atty. If you're unfamiliar these have lower resistance so they burn hotter. I believe they approximately mimic smoking at 5v-ish , on a regular 3.7v sidesho/902 battery. Also a passthrough does much the same; delivers 5v instead of 3.7. Combined they were TOO much for me. I like warm flavorful vapor, not burnt steam.

I would expect the 902 atty would work on a 510 battery since the threading is identical but I couldn't guarantee that 100%. I will say this though: My roommate has a tornado (ego) battery and he uses the same 510 cartos that I use on my sidesho and 902 passthrough so... if 510 cartos work on a 902 passthrough and a tornado and a sidesho battery, yes. They're all mostly interchangable.

I've smoked his tornado. It puts out 3.1v (It has a circuit to limit it down to that which helps extend battery life and lowers the chances of blowing out an atty). It put out (this is with a carto mind you) roughly the same vapor as my 902 5v pass through, just slightly less warm. The main advantage is the battery life; especially with the new slightly longer batteries they have that have 1000 (or maybe a bit over) mah.

To me that's the only real advantage to a tornado/ego; the battery life. Not a bad advantage mind you but I haven't noticed any better taste or the like.

Frankly I think a bit too much is made of "more or less flavor" from the equipment. If you spend 5$ or 500$ on a battery or battery mod there are only 2 things that can change: Battery life, and voltage. 3.7v or 3.1v or 5v or 6v will "taste" exactly the same being pushed through the same atty or carto no matter what brand name device is pushing that current.

That's why my two main focuses are battery life (which I take the 902/sidesho pcc into account for because frankly it's not large to carry and I don't consider swapping out a battery every few hours an excessive burden), and customer service. Voltage is voltage is voltage.

And as for delayed replies.. we're a smaller group on this forum so it can take a bit ;)

**I went back in to edit "gurbly" to "gurgly" but decided I liked it as is. Kinda combining "bubbly" with the onomatopoeia of "gurgly". Be damned, I'm sticking with it!

Last edited:

coralie

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2009
USA, Chicago area
I tried the cartos route a while back. I ordered some, from either Nhaler or Cignot. I use both often and am usually pleased so I don't fault anyone other than myself for my not preferring them. The taste is -eh, so so. But I like stronger juices (like Ms. T's) so the taste was weak to me, and the vapor production didn't compare. I tried two of them, same flavor (cherry) to make sure I didn't get a lemon, and the remaining three sit in my lock vape box. My husband likes Ry4 flavor the best, but says they all taste the same to him. I'll get him to try one of the cherry ones tonight to see if he likes it for the simplicity and ease of use, but he's proficient at topping off anyway so I don't think it's that. I think you're right about the voltage thing. Not a big deal one way or another.
I've screwed my sidesho atty to a 510 battery and it doesn't glow or heat up. I don't know if I've tried a 510 atty with a sidesho battery but I can. They don't seem compatible to me although the threading is the same. I have been reading about compatibility a lot today and I seem to be the only one getting this result so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I know what you mean about the mess of attys and carts, I mostly drip to avoid the leaking, overfilling, dry hot taste mess. I tried cart mods for a while, but I always carried juice for topping off anyway, so now I save the trouble. I did order some carts from Tony and they just came today. I tried one flavor and confirmed that carts still aren't for me, regardless of what is in them. Will give the other flavor a try just to see. I think the best thing I can do for my husband is order a few flavors of juice he's likely to enjoy, and keeping him set up with batteries and new atties as needed. Thanks for the detailed honest reply. I'd rather hear there's not much difference if that's the truth than get replies that I should buy this or that and find out for myself that the difference is negligible.

cainne

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2010
Houston
Exactly. That's what I was guessing.
Tony said he is looking into getting cartos; in the meantime I ordered mine from electronicstix.

78$ for a carton of 50 (with a 10% off coupon code I found via google) and free shipping.

I use them for 2 days then throw them out even if they're still working fine and not tasting pasty or burnt. I smoked one before for about 5 days as a test and took out the filling. It was filled with burnt pockets of carmelized "used-to-be-fluid". In my paranoid opinion not something I want to smoke for a variety of reasons but short version, vg can decompose to some nasty chemicals when over heated for long periods.

My 2 cents: Use them for only 2 days, 3 max, and keep them filled. IE: as soon as you start to taste that pastey, plasticy, "it's running out" taste. If they dry out too much, just like a regular atty, they burn hotter. Burning hotter = greater risk of not-so-good chemicals, possibly burnt plasticy fiber filling material, etc.

People that try to stretch them out for like a week+ to me are just negating the health advantages ecigs offer to save what, 10 or 20 cents more per day? Seems silly.

This is where I got them:
510 CARTOMIZERS

Not saying they're the best site, that's just one of the cheapest I found at the time with the 10% off coupon code.
Also some people like refilling the hard tipped ones; I found these with the soft latex plug hold a LITTLE less but are MUCH easier to refill since you can take them off and see in there so you don't drip into the hole that runs through the center and leak a lot out.

Also, final tip, they come with a plug in the threaded end. I replace that when I fill until it soaks in to prevent leakage while it absorbs.

coralie

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2009
USA, Chicago area
I did order a passthrough from Tony and it came but it didn't work. I am still waiting to receive the replacement. I've emailed and at first he responded saying he'd send a replacement, but then I've emailed twice since then to see if maybe he forgot about me or maybe I need to send the bad one back...but no response. Any idea if something is going on? I haven't called because I don't want to be a nuisance but it's been almost 2 weeks of checking the mail every day and...nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread