Has anyone else gained weight after quitting analogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

illillillillilli

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2011
Cabot, Arkansas, United States
I've gained a little since I started. Yes some of it could be from sitting here researching and reading on ECF. I've been vaping nothing but sweet flavors, and it's actually giving me cravings for sweets. I had a caramel cream, after I ran out of that particular flavor, I got a bag of bulls eye caramels (caramel with creamy center). I got a plain donut one time and was vaping blueberry. Tasted like a blueberry donut!
Maybe instead of vaping blueberries and eating donuts, I need to vape donuts and eat blueberries! lol

judybr

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2010
Land of the Dragon, Western NC
I remember reading somewhere that quitting smoking can also mess with your thyroid function so if your borderline hyopthyroid it could cause it to become more than a borderline issue. Maybe that is why so many of us seem so tired. Could be it has nothing to do with the heat or a lack of fluids. I know I don't drink a lot of water but I sure do make up for that with coffee and still have no energy. Hmmm....
It seems I read that on Mary Shoman's(?sp) thyroid info on about.com. The name may not be spelled quite right but she is all about thyroid issues.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
I remember reading somewhere that quitting smoking can also mess with your thyroid function so if your borderline hyopthyroid it could cause it to become more than a borderline issue. Maybe that is why so many of us seem so tired. Could be it has nothing to do with the heat or a lack of fluids. I know I don't drink a lot of water but I sure do make up for that with coffee and still have no energy. Hmmm....
It seems I read that on Mary Shoman's(?sp) thyroid info on about.com. The name may not be spelled quite right but she is all about thyroid issues.

Coffee doesn't count. Caffeine is a diuretic so you won't rehydrate when you are drinking it. Other than caffeinated drinks and alcohol, almost everything contributes to you getting enough fluids -- water, juice, soda, food. Obviously there's more water in a salad than there is in a hamburger, but there's some in each of them.

Anima

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2011
Texas
The carcinogens in cigarettes cause you to "waste" nutrients, so if you quit smoking and don't change anything else, you will gain some weight.

That said, I am concerned about the artificial sweetener in e-liquid. Artificial sweeteners can cause insulin spikes, and sucralose (Splenda) kills helpful bacteria in your gut, which can result in weight gain. I would like to know how much artificial sweetener we are actually ingesting by vaping. I've started taking a probiotic pill every day just in case, because I think most juices use sucralose.

Marb

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2011
Portland, OR
Yep, me too. I gained a few pounds in the last couple months and everything else seems the same as far as diet and exercise. Of course, I had aspirations of doing all of those cool, outdoorsy, energetically physical things my smoker's lungs were preventing me from doing... Whathappened??? I'm spending my time with my new hobby - inside, modding my cartos, mixing juices, building pv's... hmmm... can a car-cig-lighter be made into the ultimate 12v pv...???
lol

markimar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Orlando

Judybr, I thought it was just me being tired all the time. Granted Im recovering from having a blood count that was half of the norm. Which probably accounts for a lot of my weight gain cause I was so weak for about 5 or 6 months that I was too weak too make food let alone get any excersize. I mean literally got home from work and took my meds and would be asleep by 7 pm. So I was almost bed ridden for 5 months. Now I've gained so much weight I can barely put my socks on without huffing and puffing and breaking a sweat! No lie that bad. I was on a great diet and had lost 30lbs felt great and was as thin as I was in high school. Then the internal bleeding hit and I gained all thirty back and 30 more to boot! So now I'm fat as a cow and depressed and just plain miserable. So now that everyone knows my life history.... This vacation I'm going on should get me back to norm. 7 days of touring and walking! Then back to the diet. I have to or I'm not going to be able to walk!

markimar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Orlando
I'm glad I started this thread. It seems to be pretty wide spread. I'm gonna get some d3 and something to boost metabolism. The diet I was on was based on glycemic index and was a lot of veggies. But it started costing so much just to eat lettuce at 3.00 a bag which I went through one and 1/2 bags a day! I would spend 60.00 at the store and have nothing but lettuce!

judybr

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2010
Land of the Dragon, Western NC
Markimar,
I hate that for you. Anemia is a serious issue so you certainly can excuse yourself on that account. Maybe the vacation is exactly what you need to get the body moving again!
All we can do is be persistent and maybe we can win the battle of the bulge at some point. I think I will up my vit D and see if that helps but I have been taking that the last few months at 2000 a day with no improvement. Hmm, maybe we need a weight challenge group on here, lol.

ames001

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2010
Canada
i believe its some sort of all in one gym so to speak.

suppliments that aid weight loss is fibre believe it or not. PGX is one example of this, any fibre pills with a multitude of sources for the fibre thats in them are good too.

Papain, one of the compounds in papaya, boosts metabolism, you could start eating lots of papayas, or there are many pills in the vitamin section that are papain based. cleanses from the health store will take all the excess water, chemical stores, and stuff stuck in your digestive system (some midddle aged people can have up to 12 pounds of extra stuff stored within them)

there are also herbs that you can find both in the vitamin isle and in the health food stores that will help you flush your system of excess water.

i found for me, biking was the best way to get my heartrate going and burn calories, as theres little strain on the bones compared to running. i lost 40 pounds in less than 2 months (just by biking 50 minutes-1 1/4 hours a day)

i've always been very physically conscious, due to having a visible disability, and being incredibly chunky as a youngster just made matters worse in terms of being picked on. so i started watching and adjusting my weight in middle school, and over the years have picked up many little tidbits.

i'm also hypoglycemic, so i have to watch my weight (less weight means less sugar can hide in fats, and less hypos) and makes it easier to tell when i need to start eating more iron.

in terms of things to help you along loosing the weight, a health food store will be able to help you with metabolism boosting type things, while attempting to cut out white flour will help things along even farther; and of course, excersize and water are 2 of the most important things

sorry if i came across as a know it all, just putting some sugestions that worked REAL well for me out there.

brian1g

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2010
Texas panhandle
Brian,
Excuse my ignorance; but what is a P90x?

Judy

Its a home workout program. It's 60 to 90 minute workouts a day 6 days a week, helps set up a healthy diet and supplements that help you get through it all in one piece. I really enjoy it and have gotten great results. My body fat was 28-30% in February and its currently 13%. People that I haven't seen in awhile don't recognize me anymore lol.

ames001- Biking is next on my list for fitness / fun ! Great way to get in shape and have fun doing it.

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Judybr, I thought it was just me being tired all the time. Granted Im recovering from having a blood count that was half of the norm. Which probably accounts for a lot of my weight gain cause I was so weak for about 5 or 6 months that I was too weak too make food let alone get any excersize. I mean literally got home from work and took my meds and would be asleep by 7 pm. So I was almost bed ridden for 5 months. Now I've gained so much weight I can barely put my socks on without huffing and puffing and breaking a sweat! No lie that bad. I was on a great diet and had lost 30lbs felt great and was as thin as I was in high school. Then the internal bleeding hit and I gained all thirty back and 30 more to boot! So now I'm fat as a cow and depressed and just plain miserable. So now that everyone knows my life history.... This vacation I'm going on should get me back to norm. 7 days of touring and walking! Then back to the diet. I have to or I'm not going to be able to walk!
Just take it slow and do it right. Wouldn't want anything to happen to YOU! :)
...and I'm sure you're gorgeous with or without the added weight!

I just ordered some Thyroid Support supplements from Vitacost. I've always been borderline for hypothyroidism and had totally forgotten about that... I've lost a little, but figure I should be losing more. I want my Janet Jackson abs!

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
The carcinogens in cigarettes cause you to "waste" nutrients, so if you quit smoking and don't change anything else, you will gain some weight.

That said, I am concerned about the artificial sweetener in e-liquid. Artificial sweeteners can cause insulin spikes, and sucralose (Splenda) kills helpful bacteria in your gut, which can result in weight gain. I would like to know how much artificial sweetener we are actually ingesting by vaping. I've started taking a probiotic pill every day just in case, because I think most juices use sucralose.

Tasty Vapor liquids do not contain sucralose unless you ask for it sweetened. I've never felt the need to sweeten theirs but, if I do, I'll add some stevia at home.

Raechel

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2009
Louisville, KY
A few years ago I was smoking and maintaining a weight easily of 174 for 3 yrs. I ate cheescake regularly etc even and drank my 1- 2 20 oz Dt Dews. 3 months of not smoking and eating less junk than I had while smoking I still gained 36 lbs in 3 months. I then changed to e cigs hoping the nicotine would help me lose weight. I only dropped to 200lbs.

I also have been wondering why the change. I guess there is something to the extra work of the body to get rid of all the carcinogens in analogs boosting metabolism. I need to also figure out what to do too get back down to at least 184 if not 174 from the current 200.

If anyone has any ideas beyond boosting my exercise let me know. I really don't eat much junk, never eat out unless it is the occasional sushi, we eat really well. So glad it is not just me. Thanks M.

Edited to say: My picture is current on here. I am 5'8 1/4" tall and have (no lie) 10 lbs of boobs. Without them I would weigh 190. Sadly the huge knockers never go away at any low weight. But I just thought about it and did not want you all to think I was using an old pic due to what I said my weight was. I don't look bad. Just not as happy as I was at 174 when I looked damn amazing compared to now. LOL!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread